Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

53 minutes ago, Goffe said:

this has an indie feel to it, I doubt the US auds are going to embrace it in any big way. 

we should be expecting a ~20m opening and ~80m finish, that would be nice result imo.

It's been doing great in trailer views, I think it'll hit 100M as long as the OW is 25-30M. 

Getting very excited with those reviews but it's Villeneuve so it's not surprising. He's such a great talent.

I hope that it'll do some big numbers but i'm afraid that it won't connect with GA. I hope i'm wrong.

Still doing over ID4R would be funny and unbelievable a few months ago.

After how great Sicario was (it's really grown on me since my first watch, I'd probably upgrade my B+ rating to a solid A/A+ and rank it at solid number 4 or 5 for 2015) I'm incredibly excited for this.

Villenueve is shaping to be one of the best new directors of millennium.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

After how great Sicario was (it's really grown on me since my first watch, I'd probably upgrade my B+ rating to a solid A/A+ and rank it at solid number 4 or 5 for 2015) I'm incredibly excited for this.

Although they have very different styles, he's essentially become what everyone expected out of Blomkamp. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, The Panda said:

If Bladerunner 2 delivers(huge if) then Villeneuve will have already overtaken Nolan:ph34r:

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Although they have very different styles, he's essentially become what everyone expected out of Blomkamp. 

Yes, but he honed his craftsmanship in Canada by working on bunch of small films and shorts before coming to hollywood. And here too he started out by making small intense dramas/thrillers. Arrival is his first sci-fi film and that too an indie one. Blade Runner 2 is his first big budget tentpole. This is how you are supposed to do it. 

You shouldn't jump from 10 million to 80 or 100 million without honing skills. When studios hire such directors results are almost always meh and sometimes disastrous. First hone skills through each film and then after 3-4 solid films you should do a big budget movie. This should be the mantra for all young filmmakers and studios should also fully support this. However, none of this applies to James Cameron. Lol.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1