lilmac

What is the scariest movie that had little to no jump scares?

The Ring had a few jump stuff, like the first time you see the petrified dead girl but for the most part, it just builds tension until the bitch comes out of the TV.....

Another one is Mothman Prophecies.  Wholly creepy but not really cat in the fridge shock scares.

• Like 2

Baumer beat me to The Ring, it's actually the only horror that truly got to me. I think this had a lot to do with the filmmakers choice in not letting us see how Samantha killed her victims, instead what we got was a horrifying imaged of the dead bodies from an inescapable killer.

As for Mothman Prophecies, I watched that when I was young and I remember it creeping me out but haven't seen it since, I can remember staying clear of double red lights for a while after lol

• Like 1

Are you on Reddit by any chance, this is on the Reddit front page as well:  http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2z7vvq/whats_the_scariest_movie_you_know_that_has_little/

Some answers:

David Cronenberg's remake of The Fly has almost no jump scares and still manages to be both terrifying and heartbreaking.

I don't remember any jump scares in Silence of the Lambs, but my heart was really racing at the end of that.

The Orphanage. Probably one of the best movies in the genre. Really caught me off guard with how terrifying it was simply by utilizing suspense and winding you up and then releasing a bomb of a revelation at the end.

Rosemary's Baby makes me feel uneasy from scene 1, but has essentially no 'horror tricks' like jumps, blood etc.

The Ring. I watched it on an overcast, gloomy day while home alone. Why? Idk. I dont remember ever jumping, but I was expecting to after every scene, that tension build was crazy. Like Baumer said, bitch coming out the TV was frightening, but it was t a jumpy moment.

• Like 1

The Ring is definitely a modern example. Surprised no one has mentioned The Babadook yet, it's gotten a lot of love here.

Body horror tends to freak me out with no jump scares, especially Cronenberg's earlier work.

The Babadook wasn't scary, it was shit, and tried jumping us with loud slamming doors.

• Like 1

Rosemary's Baby for sure. The vibe of terror and paranoia in the second half is so thick you can cut it with a knife, but it's done without any jump scares.

I also don't remember any in The Blair Witch Project aside from the tent being suddenly shaken at night (when they hear children's voices).

• Like 3

Rosemary's Baby for sure. The vibe of terror and paranoia in the second half is so thick you can cut it with a knife, but it's done without any jump scares.

I also don't remember any in The Blair Witch Project aside from the tent being suddenly shaken at night (when they hear children's voices).

Good one.  TBWP was terrific in that sense.  It was scary but built on tension and not stuff that makes you jump.

• Like 1

probably the shining or something

I am not sure the Shining qualifies.  The girls in the hall made me jump...the redrum made me jump and the ax to Halleran's torso made me jump.

• Like 3

The Blair Witch Project

The Orphanage

The Ring

Also Candyman

You all pretty much covered it. The Blair Witch Project is insanely scary. It's the scariest of all time for me. Wish I was old enough to see it in the cinema. Paranormal Activity 1 and 3 scared me too. But they rely on jumps too.

Edited by Krissykins