Olive

Weekend Estimates: Insurgent 54m | Cinderella $34.5m pg 29

And Cinderella only making 32m would mean an over 50% drop. That's not great either although there may be some overlap in the audience for Insurgent. But still holding out hope for 50m for Insurgent and 33-35m for Cinderella.

Edited by Ecstasy

I really can't see them canceling the split for the next two. It'd be such an admission of failure, it'd basically be starting the film off with tons of negative publicity. And even if Insurgent is a slight letdown, it's still a big moneymaker. 

The only impact I see this having is preventing Shailene from getting much of a raise for the next two. 

Well it kind of is when you compare it to the first one.

Shouldn't these grosses have been obvious, though? A drop-off seemed like a given considering the tepid reception the first movie got. These aren't exactly good numbers, but they aren't The Worst as some people are making them out to be. They'll probably just make the final movie one film instead two and call it a day.

People like to complain about dismal box office, but at the end of the day, it all comes back to the product itself. People will just find other things to do instead of coughing up $12 for a film they don't really care about.

• Like 1

But overseas sales has had a massive increase over the first one. So that should make Lionsgate happy. So this will likely make more than Divergent anyway

Was the competition of movies in the theater weaker last year ?

The surge in overseas sales don t matter at all.

Lionsgate sold the rights to local distributors.

They ve already made their overseas money.

I'm surprised to see that the Metacritic score is so low (42).  I figured it would be between 45-50.  A few critics have given it a score of 10/100, which was unexpected.  But then again...this is the director of R.I.P.D.....

Yeah Lionsgate already go their money from overseas, they're really only concerned with domestic. I cant say im surprised by the tepid numbers. This is a midrange YA franchise like The Maze Runner. Its not a failure.

Shouldn't these grosses have been obvious, though? A drop-off seemed like a given considering the tepid reception the first movie got. These aren't exactly good numbers, but they aren't The Worst as some people are making them out to be. They'll probably just make the final movie one film instead two and call it a day.

People like to complain about dismal box office, but at the end of the day, it all comes back to the product itself. People will just find other things to do instead of coughing up $12 for a film they don't really care about.

That's all well and good but that doesn't change the fact that the 45m is not a good result.  It is what it is whether you saw it coming or not. That doesn't change the facts.

• Like 1

Yeah Lionsgate already go their money from overseas, they're really only concerned with domestic. I cant say im surprised by the tepid numbers. This is a midrange YA franchise like The Maze Runner. Its not a failure.

i don't understand this so Lionsgate does not earn money on their movies overseas ?

And we don't even know what te domestic numbers will be yet. I am amazed that this site has trolls that actually is happy about the drop from the first. I thought this site was more mature. Besides we really have no clue how much the drop is yet. Or if it will drop.

i don't understand this so Lionsgate does not earn money on their movies overseas ?

And we don't even know what te domestic numbers will be yet. I am amazed that this site has trolls that actually is happy about the drop from the first. I thought this site was more mature. Besides we really have no clue how much the drop is yet. Or if it will drop.

Lionsgate is still small. The other big six studios, it took them decades to have offices in each market of the world.

That s why since 2013, Lionsgate organizes for THG a huge party on Cannes beach with their foreign distributors, Jlaw being'contractually obliged to attend, so they can sell THG rights to the highest price.

• Like 1

Lionsgate is still small. The other big six studios, it took them decades to have offices in each market of the world.

That s why since 2013, Lionsgate organizes for THG a huge party on Cannes beach with their foreign distributors, Jlaw being'contractually obliged to attend, so they can sell THG rights to the highest price.

They doing it again for MJ2?  Or they already done with that one as well?

• Like 1

They doing it again for MJ2? Or they already done with that one as well?

They did it in 2013 and 2014. Don t know if it is scheduled for this year.

Cannes film festival is in May.

Edited by The Futurist