Olive

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: Home 54m , GH 34.6m, Insurgent 22.1m, Cind 17.5m (official)

GET HARD earned an estimated $12.91M on opening day Friday.

CINDERELLA earned an estimated $4.73M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $137.24M.

HOME earned an estimated $15.6M on opening day Friday.

Edited by sfran43

Serena also has Bradley Cooper. Just saying. You know draw power doesn't exist nowadays. Nobody is 100% a draw.

Jolie, jolie....LOL I agree with you. Nobody expected Serena to be a hit. But $126K for the weekend in 6o theatres is awful.

Jolie, jolie....LOL I agree with you. Nobody expected Serena to be a hit. But $126K for the weekend in 6o theatres is awful.

...and even she is really only a draw in action pictures or event films (like Maleficent). Put her in a drama and audiences will largely stay away.

• Like 2

No. Completely disagree. AS was popular because of the story and the real life person....it had very little to do with Bradely Cooper at all

Yea, ok.  Then tell me why this film more than doubled Lone Survivor's gross?  Look, you can think what you want to think about the man or the movie, but Cooper has to be given a lot of credit for the gross.  He seems to excel in a lot of films lately.

• Like 1

...and even she is really only a draw in action pictures or event films (like Maleficent). Put her in a drama and audiences will largely stay away.

We will see how much By the Sea will do if it is decent. As far as Maleficent is concerned all those records in Latin America are Jolie`s credit.

Seems about right.

What's the last adapted book aimed at adults (not a YA) that made over 300 million?

Last one and only one I can find is Forrest Gump, which also starred the biggest actor in the world at the time.

Edited by baumer

Yea, ok.  Then tell me why this film more than doubled Lone Survivor's gross?  Look, you can think what you want to think about the man or the movie, but Cooper has to be given a lot of credit for the gross.  He seems to excel in a lot of films lately.

like Serena??

Because

1. Clint Eastwood name sparks interest.

2. Real life story which was extremely popular

3. Controversy of the real man the movie is portraying

4. Excellent marketing

5. Book was a big bestseller

6. Oscar frontrunner

7. Story draws in older crowd, right wing crowd, military crowd etc...

• Like 2

like Serena??

Because

G

1. Clint Eastwood name sparks interest.

2. Real life story which was extremely popular

3. Controversy of the real man the movie is portraying

4. Excellent marketing

5. Book was a big bestseller

6. Oscar frontrunner

7. Story draws in older crowd, right wing crowd, military crowd etc...

I would also add that sometimes the right film hits at the right time.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1

So not only did Home break out in a huge way, but Get Hard also increased a million more than what early Friday estimates predicted. I completely agree with Ethan, that this is the most surprising weekend since American Sniper's wide opening.

And this is the weekend that was supposed to be the "calm" before the FF7 storm.

• Like 2

IT FOLLOWS earned an estimated $1.4M from 1,218 locations on Friday. The per-theater average was $1,160.

It was just in 32 theaters last week. I thought it would add another 200-400 first. I guess the average won't be horrible over the weekend.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1