Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines

20 members have voted

1. 1. Rate T3

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This was better on the big screen because the destruction really worked - the crane chase scene is stunning. Compare this to "Matrix: Reloaded" from the same year for a fine example how real action beats CGI. Other aspects of T3 simply fell flat, among them the ridiculous "Terminatrix" (sorry, Mrs. Lokken, not your fault). Arnolds one-liners were shoehorned in and served no purpose. Not a film i plan to rewatch anytime soon except maybe once more on the big screen if there's an opportunity.And I abhor product placement. Put me completely off James Bond films as well (never been a fan in the first place).

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

T3 is actually a really bad movie. It's cowardly and does nothing to further the story of this franchise. The action and set pieces are well done, but that's all this movie is; one set piece after another with little point to anything. After Terminator 2: Judgement Day, you expect to see Judgement Day happening and the world at least partly turn into a wasteland, but there's none of that here, just more wasting time. It was a cash-grab, I can see that now. How many times can they send a terminator back in time and they still fail? It got stupid after T2.

Posted Image

Then comes the embarrassing comedic attempts. The CGI and action set pieces were great. Claire Danes was fantastic. Nick Stahl wasn't. Arnold was Arnold, but not as good as 1991 Arnold. The Terminatrix was pretty laughable to be honest. There are some great shots in this movie, and some great still shots for the marketing team (like the one above), but I just felt that this was more of a rehash/remake of T2 than it was another chapter in the story of the rise of the machine army. It just got all too jokey, like a spoof version of T2, and that's why when Salvation changed the mood back to serious, it was lambasted. I admire Salvation for its bravery in actually furthering the storyline. T3 was just one long delay.

C

Apparently I've not seen this since the theater, as I remember very few details aside from the Terminator Chick, and Arnold is in stupidly, crazy-good shape for the 55-ish year old dude he was at the time. It's still not a particularly memorable movie. Nothing specifically wrong with it, just doesn't have the thought-provoking aspects of the first one or the coolness factor of the second. When you get down to it, I mostly noticed it obviously wasn't made by James Cameron.

Certainly plenty of fun action to be had and the early chase sequence with the crane truck is a nice cringe-inducing good time. The long rear shot where the crane goes by taking out telephone poles and cars is damned impressive. Problem is that, even in an Arnold movie, it takes more than a couple of decent action sequences to make a movie. Past that, there's effectively no character building, very little humor, and an unfortunate complete whiff of a story opportunity. Showing how Judgement Day came about was what the trailers promised and what the show is obviously leading up to, but instead we get a pretty standard chase movie with a few extremely cool shots of humanity getting taken out tacked onto the end. I do like that they didn't try to radically alter the future for the 3rd time running or anything, but seems like there was so much more potential than finally was realized.

Biggest issue aside from the yawner of a story is the supporting cast. Claire is just fine and the standout of the bunch, but the dude playing John is just ugh and the Terminator Chick is horrible. I get that she's trying to go all Robert Patrick, but all she does is show how damned good he did at the role by comparison. She's not menacing, she's not all that convincing as a machine, and really brings squat to the table.

Arnold is predictably great in his 3rd outing as the Terminator. As I mentioned, it's truly staggering how good of shape he's in nearly 20 years after the first movie. He's not quite as massive as his previous outings, but that took some kind of crazy bravado to go around in the buff at age 55 and he completely pulls it off. Aside from looking a little bit older, particularly once half his scalp is melted off, he's perfectly believable as the same Cyberdyne model from before. Much like T2, he didn't feel quite as robotic as the first, but it's not to the point of distraction. He definitely seems to have been having more fun with this and he at least put in honest work on his part and didn't just phone it in.

Ahnold Quotient - 8

Back in his iconic role, some fun one-liners, showing off the bod, and blowing a hell of a lot of shit up. Some fun play on his famous lines with "She'll be back" or the Elton John sunglasses at the beginning.

Rewatchability - Rarely

It's another one that I really don't need to see again anytime soon. It was fun, but I'd have to have watched the hell out of the first two and be tired of them before I'd go to this one. Just doesn't offer up much fun beyond the good chase sequence early on.

The film was hurt by the corny/campy atmosphere in the first and second acts. It doesn't really get going strong until the final act with the countdown to Armageddon. This was a film that needed to have a grim, ominous, foreboding atmosphere the whole way through.Plus the choice of a svelte female Terminator didn't pay off since she was simply a mindless automatron instead of perhaps being used as a true infiltrator and agent.

Recently rewatched this and yeah, stand by my opinion. T3 I think would actually be considered a great Arnold movie if T2 didn't exist. But watching it you can't help but think 'I could be watching T2 instead of this', and its simply never going to compare well too one of the greatest movies of all time.

They needed to differentiate it from T2, not basically retell the story.

It got better with subsequent viewings but still a disappointment. You know a basic way to get the audience to feel this is a terminator movie is to use the same damn music. This and salvation made up their own and it made them feel like a different series. Plus it seemed way too short.

Some really good action though

B-

Edited by Omario

I can't believe I actually liked this film once, it's pretty much a more competently realized Terminator Genisys.

It's borderline a parody of itself; the tone is all over the place, going from total apocalyptic doom to light-hearted jockey moments in matter of seconds; the humor is either weird or unintentional; visual effects are for the most part really bad; the military exposition stuff is cringeworthy; and it's way too convenient when it wants to be. Just like Terminator Genisys.

It also makes me think how stupid the whole premise of the franchise is, at certain point Schwarzenegger says to Claire that he would become useless if he failed his mission "there would be no reason for me to exist", these lines makes me wonder, why would machines want to take over the world? they are nothing more than preprogrammed metal robots.

The rare sequel that makes the predecessor a little bit worse. 

What makes T3 better than T5 is the competent cast, a very good set piece, a pretty good ending and decent enough filmmaking. The good score also adds a little bit of atmosphere. +45/100

T2 90/100
TS -55/100
T3 +45/100
T1 -40/100
T5 +30/100

I can't believe I actually liked this film once, it's pretty much a more competently realized Terminator Genisys.

It's borderline a parody of itself; the tone is all over the place, going from total apocalyptic doom to light-hearted jockey moments in matter of seconds; the humor is either weird or unintentional; visual effects are for the most part really bad; the military exposition stuff is cringeworthy; and it's way too convenient when it wants to be. Just like Terminator Genisys.

It also makes me think how stupid the whole premise of the franchise is, at certain point Schwarzenegger says to Claire that he would become useless if he failed his mission "there would be no reason for me to exist", these lines makes me wonder, why would machines want to take over the world? they are nothing more than preprogrammed metal robots.

The rare sequel that makes the predecessor a little bit worse. 

What makes T3 better than T5 is the competent cast, a very good set piece, a pretty good ending and decent enough filmmaking. The good score also adds a little bit of atmosphere. +45/100

T2 90/100
TS -55/100
T3 +45/100
T1 -40/100
T5 +30/100

T1 worse than T3 and TS. DAMN this really confuses me.....

:bash::WHATanabe::kitschjob:

• Like 1