CJohn

Weekend Estimates: TLR - 13.5M; Furious 7 - 60.5M; Home - 19M [F7 - 63M OD in China!]

Based on mid-day numbers, Home looks like it will end close to HTTYD2 in the end, great domestic result for Dreamworks at the very least. Cinderella falls further behind Oz and Maleficent, Disney will probably pull a Tangled on it (and do double features with Avengers) to get it to 200M. Insurgent is not listed, so looks like less than 1.5M today, on track to finish at around 120M or so.

Edited by grim22

‘Furious 7’s Box Office Engines Still Humming, ‘Longest Ride’ Roping Third – Friday B.O.

furious-7-03.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1
Universal

Early Friday afternoon estimates are in and from what sources are seeing from advance tickets sales and matinees is that Universal’s Furious 7 is on course for a 60% drop this weekend, which again is typical for the second frames of these big blockbuster bows.  That puts Furious 7‘s FSS at $58M-$60M with a Friday that’s $18M-$20M. To date, Furious 7 has hit $191.93M on the speedometer for its first week’s domestic gross, and it will clearly cross the $200M finish line by tonight with over $250M by Sunday. Furious 7 is in play at 4,022 playdates, 19% of which are Imax or premium large format hubs. Furious 7‘s bow of $147.19M last weekend was a record opener for April and the second biggest pre-summer bow after 2012’s The Hunger Games which made $152.5M.

DreamWorks Animation’s Home from 20th Century Fox, which counts $110.6M through two weeks, is looking at a Friday that’s $5M-$6M with a third sesh that’s down about 25% with $20.3M at 3,703. Cume by Sunday should stand at $130.9M which will be 7% ahead of the running cume of How to Train Your Dragon 2 through its third weekend.

longest-ride.jpg?w=275&h=183&crop=1Fox’s new entry The Longest Ride,  which minted $625K in previews last night, is looking at a Friday of $5M-$5.5M with an opening that’s in the $13M-$14M range at 3,366. That FSS take would be higher than the previous Nicholas Sparks feature adaptation, The Best of Me, which opened to $10M, however, it’s right smack in the range where The Notebook opened ($13.5M).

womaningold0004.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop=1Spots four and five belong respectively to Walt Disney’s Cinderella and Weinstein Co.’s Woman in Gold.  Cinderella through four weeks has made $173.5M. She’s gonna get another $2M tonight for another pair of shoes, and should make $7.5M over her fifth weekend for another dancing gown.  By Sunday, Cindy‘s total running domestic B.O. should hit $181M, breaths away from toppling the mighty Thor ($181.03M) and ultimately becoming director Kenneth Branagh’s highest grossing film stateside. Weinstein Co.’s Woman in Gold, about an elderly Jewish woman who seeks to reclaim her family heirlooms that were stolen by the Nazis in World War II, should cash in a $1.5M-$1.6M Friday and a second weekend of $5M-$5.5M.  Total 10-day cume should stand at just below $9M.

• Like 4

Based on mid-day numbers, Home looks like it will end close to HTTYD2 in the end, great domestic result for Dreamworks at the very least. Cinderella falls further behind Oz and Maleficent, Disney will probably pull a Tangled on it (and do double features with Avengers) to get it to 200M. Insurgent is not listed, so looks like less than 1.5M today, on track to finish at around 120M or so.

Why is it important for Disney to do that? What am I missing here?  Cinderella is already a success. Disney doesn't need to do anything else, imo.

Why is it important for Disney to do that? What am I missing here?  Cinderella is already a success. Disney doesn't need to do anything else, imo.

Milestones and TV rights. A movie which earns 200M gets paid more for TV, streaming and syndication rights than a movie which earns 199M. Which is why you will find that there is literally no movie in history which has ended its domestic run in the 199-200M range and only 2 movies in history have ended in the 99-100M range. 22 movies have finished their runs between 100-101M.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 7

Milestones and TV rights. A movie which earns 200M gets paid more for TV, streaming and syndication rights than a movie which earns 199M. Which is why you will find that there is literally no movie in history which has ended its domestic run in the 199-200M range and only 2 movies in history have ended in the 99-100M range. 22 movies have finished their runs between 100-101M.

Ok that's what I'm missing. Milestones eh. who cares? But money talks. I didn't know that $200m would make a big difference over $199m. Where do you get this information? I need to read up on it.  Thanks.

Ok that's what I'm missing. Milestones eh. who cares? But money talks. I didn't know that $200m would make a big difference over $199m. Where do you get this information? I need to read up on it.  Thanks.

Are you new here?

j/k lol

Something tells me, that those numbers are a bit high for all the movies.

The whole week looked heavily inflated by holidays (Just look at the weekly numbers by "Home" and others), so those early friday numbers could be a bit off, if they compared early numbers to a "normal" fridays matinees.

• Like 2

Are you new here?

j/k lol

LOL ok explain to me what the tv and cable licensing deals between studios and cable/broadcast networks are without it looking them up.  That's not something that I ever cared to research. But since its brought up here that the difference between $199m and $200m is a bigger Licensing fee I thought it was worth checking out.

Edited by Ecstasy

Something tells me, that those numbers are a bit high for all the movies.

The whole week looked heavily inflated by holidays (Just look at the weekly numbers by "Home" and others), so those early friday numbers could be a bit off, if they compared early numbers to a "normal" fridays matinees.

Yes. 2nd friday numbers generally are bit high and this week with strong weekdays would skew even higher. I hope RTH will give us an update closer to midnight when we will have more accurate numbers. I doubt Furious 7 will gross more than 18m.

• Like 1

I think I heard it mentioned on Scriptnotes as well as read it on Forbes a while ago. Will see if I can find where it said so, I remember reading that the licensing to networks is based on box office gross which is in bands like 200-225M, which is why we constantly see movies pushed above 100M as opposed to ending their run in the 99 millions and so on.

I think I heard it mentioned on Scriptnotes as well as read it on Forbes a while ago. Will see if I can find where it said so, I remember reading that the licensing to networks is based on box office gross which is in bands like 200-225M, which is why we constantly see movies pushed above 100M as opposed to ending their run in the 99 millions and so on.

Yeah I've been searching Google and I've only come up with general information but nothing specific about dollar figures. Thanks Grim