PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

As a negro, I am against diversity for diversity sake even if it means more black actors. It's condescending. I'm usually thinking, "oh, you made this character black to fill a diversity quota or to attract an expanded audience."  It extends to gender as well. "That 100-lb woman can take out 3 guys simultaneously". Really? The main cast of the LOTR remake (wink) should be white. Superman should be white. James Bond should always be male. Wonder Woman should always be female. Don't patronize me.  

With that said, it's hard to argue with the economic impact if done right (Fast n Furious).

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

As a negro, I am against diversity for diversity sake even if it means more black actors. It's condescending. I'm usually thinking, "oh, you made this character black to fill a diversity quota or to attract an expanded audience."  It extends to gender as well. "That 100-lb woman can take out 3 guys simultaneously". Really? The main cast of the LOTR remake (wink) should be white. Superman should be white. James Bond should always be male. Wonder Woman should always be female. Don't patronize me.  

With that said, it's hard to argue with the economic impact if done right (Fast n Furious).

Your post seems ignorant of one key thing, with quotes like "James Bond should always be male" and "Superman should always be white". It's possible to change an unimportant characteristic without doing it for diversity's sake. I think it'd be cool to have a female James Bond, not because it's "filling quotas", but because it would give an interesting and fresh perspective on a tired character.

What if the perfect actor for Superman is black?

There's a middle ground that you appear to be failing to see.

• Like 2

I still Laugh at people complaining about the Alice Eve thing being sexist. Like 75% of summer movies have women looking sexy.

its one shot. She agreed to it, it's obviously not a big deal.

Doesn't matter that she agreed to it, the film still treats men characters and women characters differently.

Every hollywood movie is sexist. Fast, Transformers, Man Of Steel is the first superman movie to show him shirtless, why? For story? No because they want too.

Why is Channing Tatum Shirtless half of Jupitar Acseding? Because he's a sexy guy and a celebrity.

It's the movies!!!! Seeing sexy people look sexy is kinda a given.

• Like 2

I still Laugh at people complaining about the Alice Eve thing being sexist. Like 75% of summer movies have women looking sexy.

its one shot. She agreed to it, it's obviously not a big deal.

It's not the fact that she looks sexy, and it's not really that big of deal to me, it's that her character had no development and very little personality and her only purpose seemed to be eye candy.

• Like 1

Jay, arguing that Hollywood isn't traditionally (or currently) sexist in how it depicts women (a large amount of the time) is a losing proposition. ;)

That's why my post says Hollywood is sexist. I mean 90% of movies are... It's kinda a hollywood given. It's been around since the begining. It just seems funny to me of all the movies, STID gets a lot of sexist hate for one shot.

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

I mean Furious 7 has 20 vagina shots, is it sexist yes, but th complaints aren't really there because it's all part of the fun, part of the winking at the camera....

That's movies, racing against time, saying the perfect line and being sexy. It's pop culture.

I'd argue the music industry as a whole is more sexist, but that's another day.

• Like 1

I mean Furious 7 has 20 vagina shots, is it sexist yes, but th complaints aren't really there because it's all part of the fun, part of the winking at the camera....

But ST isn't about winking at the camera; it wants to be taken seriously. I imagine Nolan would get a lot of heat if he did that with Anne Hathaway.

That's movies, racing against time, saying the perfect line and being sexy. It's pop culture.

I'd argue the music industry as a whole is more sexist, but that's another day.

Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean we shouldn't push for them to be a bit different. (You're also equating "sexy" with "sexism", and they're really very different things.)

But I'm digressing, of course. Back to a galaxy far, far away.

• Like 2

That's why my post says Hollywood is sexist. I mean 90% of movies are... It's kinda a hollywood given. It's been around since the begining. It just seems funny to me of all the movies, STID gets a lot of sexist hate for one shot.

Just because Hollywood is traditionally sexist doesn't make it okay though today though.  All movies are a reflection of their time, and there was a time that that was just kinda what happened and nobody really cared because that's the way it's always been.  I was given the Bond 50 Blu-ray set to me for my birthday and my God, the Connery movies are astounding in the sexism(the beginning of Goldfinger!).  Should I hate those movies because of that?  No.  To me that's the way the world was then and I can't do anything about that now.  

The shot in Star Trek Into Darkness was just them finding a way to get a hot woman in her underwear.  It shouldn't have happened the way it did.  They could have found a logical reason for her to strip down and not make it so skeevy.