#ED

Wknd Est: F7 - 29M, PB:MC2 - 24M, UF - 16M | China: F7 - 93.3M Wknd

A24 needs put up their theater counts on BOM

I don't understand how a movie can even get a 0%. I mean, I know art is subjective and all that, but someone somewhere should like the movie enough to give it a passing grade right? 0% means "literally no reviewer who watched it liked it". How do you even make a movie that is that bad, the concept is basically Die Hard "A mall cop finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and is the last hope for Vegas", you could easily make a passable comedy flick from that concept. How do you possibly screw it up so bad?

I've already answered this in the Paul Blart thread

I don't understand how a movie can even get a 0%. I mean, I know art is subjective and all that, but someone somewhere should like the movie enough to give it a passing grade right? 0% means "literally no reviewer who watched it liked it". How do you even make a movie that is that bad, the concept is basically Die Hard "A mall cop finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and is the last hope for Vegas", you could easily make a passable comedy flick from that concept. How do you possibly screw it up so bad?

your post reminded me that this really needs to be a gif. wanted to use it so many times here.

• Like 2

Sounds like the most boring weekend ever: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-paul-blart-mall-789517

Kevin JamesPaul Blart: Mall Cop 2 and the microbudgeted horror-thriller Unfriended are in a close race at the Friday box office, although Furious 7 continues to dominate overall.

Early estimates show Mall Cop 2 earning $5 million-$6 million for the day from 3,633 locations, putting its three-day debut in the high-teens. And if families turn out in force on Saturday, the Sony comedy could cross $20 million.

Either way, it won't match the debut of Paul Blart: Mall Cop over the long Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend in 2009. That film, a surprise hit, earned a stellar $31.8 million for the three days and $39.2 million for the four days.

Unfriended, playing in 2,739 theaters, is tipped to gross in the $6 million range on Friday as well, putting its debut in the mid- to high-teens. 

Furious 7 remains an all audience goliath and is tipped to win its third consecutive weekend with $25 million-$26 million, if not more. Worldwide, Furious 7 could clock in at $1 billion or more by weekend's end, becoming the first title in Universal's history to reach that milestone in its original run.

• Like 3

the first paul blart came out a weird time. it kinda blew up in the middle of gran torino and taken blowing up. they all made around pretty much the same total. guess they got lucky people really wanted to go to the movies whenever that was.

It looks Monkey Kingdom was highest rated film on RT.  In a way I'm glad Disney is still making these nature films, even though you can see better on Discovery and Nat Geo.

LOL it's not a bomb. It only cost $1M. It'll be profitable before the end of the day.

That said, I'm not surprised. I didn't see any hype for the movie outside of...well, here.

filmlover - how are ya buddy???

the first paul blart came out a weird time. it kinda blew up in the middle of gran torino and taken blowing up. they all made around pretty much the same total. guess they got lucky people really wanted to go to the movies whenever that was.

People were seeking escape during a recession, and movies, overpriced as they may be, are still a much cheaper form of entertainment compared to other things.

• Like 1

No desire to see Blart (sorry Ethan) but I may see Unfriended this weekend, as well as Monkey Kingdom if and when it shows up at my theatre.

Assuming Unfriended gets 6M today, I still think it would wind up with 14-15M. Blart with 5.5 will give it 17, and I'm just going to give 5M weekend for MK just cause. Sure, the numbers aren't huge, but smaller numbers don't make it "boring" because we still do all our extrapolating and comparing and predicting just as we would of AoU was opening.

Still, just remember its the calm before the storm before the Summer season "officially" starts.

• Like 1