kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

It will be the only animated movie coming out this holiday season and WOM seems to be phenomenal. Not just from critics, but by casual fans that got to see the advanced screenings, too. Yes, families will likely see MPR/AQUAMAN but Spider-Man will attract a broad range of people as well at least domestically.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 2

This movie should definitely perform better than LBM overseas. LEGO isn’t a big brand OS, but Spider-Man is. 

Edit: What’s with the “wtf” reaction to this post? None of the LEGO movies have done well in other countries. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

This movie should definitely perform better than LBM overseas. LEGO isn’t a big brand OS, but Spider-Man is. 

Edit: What’s with the “wtf” reaction to this post? None of the LEGO movies have done well in other countries. 

Probably calling Lego " not a big  OS brand".

Since Lego is from Denmark :hahaha:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I never said it was an American brand. 

that statement is still a bit of a strange one:

LEGO isn’t a big brand OS

Lego is a giant brand OS with some year's the world biggest revenues for a Toy company above a giant toy conglomerate like Mattel and way bigger than any individual toy brand

infographic01.svg

What make you say that Lego isn,t big OS ?

If it is looking at movies box office, that can be misleading a Chris Pratt Comedy or a Will Arnett Batman comedy will tend to play domestic heavy, that quite common for the genre.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If it is looking at movies box office, that can be misleading a Chris Pratt Comedy or a Will Arnett Batman comedy will tend to play domestic heavy, that quite common for the genre. 

Not really, the impact of voice actors is overrated in general. They get dubbed in most foreign markets, and plenty of animated movies do very well OS.

Again most Lord/Miller movies don’t translate well OS outside of Europe, due to their type of self referential humor. Not to mention most of Sony Animation’s films are big OS like Disney/Illumination or even Dreamworks. That said Spider-Man is popular OS and the reviews have me hopeful but also cautious. I do feel that WOM will help it if audiences love it. I’m hoping it does well cause I want a Spider Ham trilogy.

$35M OW

$160M DOM 

$240M OS

$400M WW

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Not really, the impact of voice actors is overrated in general. They get dubbed in most foreign markets, and plenty of animated movies do very well OS.

That was the point, popular in the US and possibly a factor, not in the rest of the markets.

Animated movie can do well, but there is a certain type of comedy where it is not obvious, the cloudy with a meatball didn't do spectacular (sausage party either, if they get closer to a typical comedy):

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 Sony $274.3 $119.8 43.7% $154.5 56.3% 2013
2 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Sony $243.0 $124.9 51.4% $118.1 48.6% 2009

8 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Again most Lord/Miller movies don’t translate well OS outside of Europe, due to their type of self referential humor. Not to mention most of Sony Animation’s films are big OS like Disney/Illumination or even Dreamworks. That said Spider-Man is popular OS and the reviews have me hopeful but also cautious. I do feel that WOM will help it if audiences love it. I’m hoping it does well cause I want a Spider Ham trilogy.

$35M OW

$160M DOM 

$240M OS

$400M WW

Swap around DOM and OS numbers and I agree with you. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

that statement is still a bit of a strange one:

LEGO isn’t a big brand OS

Lego is a giant brand OS with some year's the world biggest revenues for a Toy company above a giant toy conglomerate like Mattel and way bigger than any individual toy brand

infographic01.svg

What make you say that Lego isn,t big OS ?

Will Arnett and Chris Pratt shouldn’t even be a factor for overseas territories. Perhaps I should’ve been more specific, but the movies have definitely not fared all that well overseas, with LBM having made less than $150 million outside of North America. 

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Will Arnett and Chris Pratt shouldn’t even be a factor for overseas territories. Perhaps I should’ve been more specific, but the movies have definitely not fared all that well overseas, with LBM having made less than $150 million outside of North America. 

Well yes that is exactly my point.

There is reasons why those movie played domestic heavy that is not necessarily due to the Lego franchise being a weak one worldwide and I am speculating on some, for example if the voice acting helped the movie performance it was only in the US, comedy of that style (filled with pop culture reference) often do not travel that well, Batman is specially popular domestic and so on.

I don’t think Pratt and Arnett even helped much domestically, if at all. Their performances helped critical and audience reception, sure, but LEGO was before Pratt broke out with Guardians and Jurassic, and no one’s checking for Arnett in the first place (and you can’t even recognize him).

Only recent example I can think of where a voice actor helped is maybe the Rock with Moana.

Edited by nick64

Just now, nick64 said:

I don’t think Pratt and Arnett even helped much domestically, if at all. Their performances helped critical and audience reception, sure, but LEGO was before Pratt broke out with Guardians and Jurassic, and no one’s checking for Arnett in the first place (and you can’t even recognize him).

How does those 2 element not helping the movies (I would add the trailer reception to that list) ?

I would imagine those voice actor are paid millions on those movies for a reason.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How does those 2 element not helping the movies (I would add the trailer reception to that list) ?

I would imagine those voice actor are paid millions on those movies for a reason.

What's the point you are trying to make? All three lego movies did less OS, not increasing that franchise potential at all. Going in reasons why, will not change that. And I don't think first movie humor was that american centric or sarcastic to completely turn off other markets. As for voice actors, zootopia exists with a not so famous cast. I don't think, it plays much of a roll with decent to good voice acting in almost all animation blockbusters.

• Like 1