kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Because you were saying that was all DCEU fans. It's not that hard to understand. You do this fandom war bullshit constantly.

That's not what I've said. Learn nuance and context. I am a DC fan. Not really a DCEU one, but still. Hardcore DCEU fans have a bad rep on social media, people constantly joke about that:

Example, this video. It's tongue and cheek, but still. I see it as deserved, regardless the fact that I am excited for Aquaman as well. 

18 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Yes but no. I doubt films like Lego Movie, Zootopia or even Inside Out would have done as well with rave reviews but I doubt it’ll effect Spidey for the better mainly due to tough competition and people were more likely than not expecting good reviews. IMHO the animation style will be what makes or breaks this box office wise.

It is indeed a robust genre, Minions made more than most of those with a 56% and some terrible reviews, Secret Life of Pets (368m dom, 875m WW) made more than Inside Out, Coco, Moana.

The emoticon movie was a big success with good legs while Kubo and the Two Strings was one of the big 2016 flop.

This for example, I suspect will play quite well outside the family audience that should be a minority of is business anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That's not what I've said. Learn nuance and context. I am a DC fan. Not really a DCEU one, but still. Hardcore DCEU fans have a bad rep on social media, people constantly joke about that:

Example, this video. It's tongue and cheek, but still. I see it as deserved, regardless the fact that I am excited for Aquaman as well. 

Stop doing fandom war stuff outside of the fandom war thread, just take it to there instead of going on a now multi-page derail in the Spider-Verse thread.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Not very big box office but lego movie made good money.

The "cinematography" of those lego movies, sausage party, etc... has the 3D style that is quite similar to that classic what audience expect from a 3D CGI movie imo.

The high contrast, very colorful, giant budget very "clean" large portion of the screen with the same color, 3D that follow a lot traditional editing/camera choice of live action affair.

32 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Yes but no. I doubt films like Lego Movie, Zootopia or even Inside Out would have done as well with rave reviews but I doubt it’ll effect Spidey for the better mainly due to tough competition and people were more likely than not expecting good reviews. IMHO the animation style will be what makes or breaks this box office wise.

Few factors have made me change my tune and look beyond the fact that this is an animated film. I think Spider-Verse will surprise because:

1) Miles Morales is the lead. That's a novelty and after Black Panther, doubting that now might be reasonable, but if it breaks out as I think it will, it'll be considered a given. 

2) This will be seen as critically acclaimed SUPERHERO film first, animation second. The fact that it's PG will actually help. 

3) Spider-Mania is on all time high, see Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4 sales and - even if I will never watch it - Venom. 

This getting insane praise by reviewers might be the catalyst for an unxepected breakout for this. If people look some pages back, I didn't believe that before today. Now I do and let me be bold: 

Spider-Man: Into Spider-Verse will DOMINATE the box office this holiday season. And yes, I mean over freaking Mary Poppins. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Stop doing fandom war stuff outside of the fandom war thread, just take it to there instead of going on a now multi-page derail in the Spider-Verse thread.

That's not what I've done. Actually, if you stop and think you'll realize that you are the one doing that. And I'm too old for "fandom war stuff". 

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The "cinematography" of those lego movies, sausage party, etc... has the 3D style that is quite similar to that classic what audience expect from a 3D CGI movie imo.

The high contrast, very colorful, giant budget very "clean" large portion of the screen with the same color, 3D that follow a lot traditional editing/camera choice of live action affair.

This is a question not remark. Is this movie much different from that? 

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Few factors have made me change my tune and look beyond the fact that this is an animated film. I think Spider-Verse will surprise because:

1) Miles Morales is the lead. that's a novelty and after Black Panther, doubting that now might be reasonable, but if it breaks out as I think it will, it'll be considered a given. 

2) This will be seen as critically acclaimed SUPERHERO film first, animation second. The fact that PG will actually help. 

3) Spider-Mania is on all time high, see Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4 sales and - even if I will never watch it - Venom. 

This getting insane praise by reviewers might be the catalyst for an unxepected breakout for this. If people look some pages back, I didn't believe that before today. Now I do and let me be bold: 

Spider-Man: Into Spider-Verse will DOMINATE the box office this holiday season. And yes, I mean over freaking Mary Poppins. 

Dude. You're doing it again. Do you just not learn from your past? Does your mind just erase everything you type on here?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes, now Spiderverse will do Black Panther numbers.  Lol. Ridiculous.

That's not what I've said. AT ALL. 

But I'm starting to believe that domestically it'll be over Mary Poppins and Aquaman. Aquaman will be over Spider-Verse and Poppins overseas tho. 

1 minute ago, ChipMunky said:

Dude. You're doing it again. Do you just not learn from your past? Does your mind just erase everything you type on here?

This isn't another Peter Parker film. And I think people will understand that soon enough. I love Peter, he IS Spider-Man to me, but people need Miles as well. It's time. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

But I'm starting to believe that domestically it'll be over Mary Poppins and Aquaman. Aquaman will be over Spider-Verse and Poppins overseas tho. 

In reality, that means you see Spidey putting up over $300M (since many folks think one or both of those movies will be aiming for that milestone or higher)...

In my fam, my oldest teen daughter wants this movie...and no one else...even though we are all Spidey fans...so I don't doubt that it's sparking to that age level hard, but being animated, it needs to hit more than teens to skyrocket...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

This isn't another Peter Parker film. And I think people will understand that soon enough. I love Peter, he IS Spider-Man to me, but people need Miles as well. It's time. 

Here's how this is going to go, again. You're going to get more and more hyped for this. You've already started predicting INSANE numbers that will be impossible for it to reach. People will make fun of you for it. You will get mad. You will get banned.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That's not what I've done. Actually, if you stop and think you'll realize that you are the one doing that. And I'm too old for "fandom war stuff". 

I wasn't the one who literally posted a random tweet from Woke Twitter and then started going on and on about DCEU fans. 🤔

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In reality, that means you see Spidey putting up over $300M (since many folks think one or both of those movies will be aiming for that milestone or higher)...

In my fam, my oldest teen daughter wants this movie...and no one else...even though we are all Spidey fans...so I don't doubt that it's sparking to that age level hard, but being animated, it needs to hit more than teens to skyrocket...

I understand that. I think that the rave reviews calling this one of the best superhero films of all time - if similar to Black Panther - plus the fact that Miles Morales is a novelty as an African-American Spider-Man might make it enough to sky rocket. And yes, what I'm saying is around the $300m-400m ballpark.

As for the foreign markets, I think people in the USA need to understand that Mary Poppins isn't really as hot in other countries as it is in the USA. I could see Aquaman over  either Spider-Verse and Mary Poppins in most of the markets outside NA. 

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So Spiderverse is not a kids movie and appeals to everyone and yet it's not tracking to do at least 70-80mil right now. Why? That's what Spider-Man and Spider-Man related films open with at least. 

Different time of the year despite the fact that you aren't incorrect, this was flying under the radar for quite some time. I don't think it will anymore though. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

3 minutes ago, Premium George said:

This is a question not remark. Is this movie much different from that? 

Yes there is a lot of cel shading going on, not too the point to look fully 2D but an in-between they play with (by moment they go with a lot of the screen being 2D):

Around 1:45 notably, the color palette by moment is also singular.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I understand that. I think that the rave reviews calling this one of the best superhero films of all time - if similar to Black Panther - plus the fact that Miles Morales is a novelty as an African-American Spider-Man might make it enough to sky rocket. And yes, what I'm saying is around the $300m-400m ballpark.

As for the foreign markets, I think people in the USA need to understand that Mary Poppins isn't really as hot in other countries as it is in the USA. I could see Aquaman over  either Spider-Verse and Mary Poppins in most of the markets outside NA. 

Different time of the year despite the fact that you aren't incorrect, this was flying under the radar for quite some time. I don't think it will anymore though. 

You think that Spider-Man Homecoming would have been tracking to do 30-40mil 3 weeks before release in December? Movies based on super popular properties have opened big in December before, I don't see why Into the Spiderverse wouldn't be compared to them? Spider-Man is a hugely popular character. I'm not saying it should break the opening weekend record but if people see animated Superhero adaptions the exact same way that they see live action ones then why wouldn't Spiderverse open with 80mil?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You think that Spider-Man Homecoming would have been tracking to do 30-40mil 3 weeks before release in December? Movies based on super popular properties have opened big in December before, I don't see why Into the Spiderverse wouldn't be compared to them? Spider-Man is a hugely popular character. I'm not saying it should break the opening weekend record but if people see animated Superhero adaptions the exact same way that they see live action ones then why wouldn't Spiderverse open with 80mil?

But that's what I'm saying, I think it will. And I think that this will be more of an adversary to let's say Mary Poppins Returns than people realize. (when I say "it will", I mean over $80m OW, not really breaking the month's record)

Edited by ZattMurdock

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

But that's what I'm saying, I think it will. And I think that this will be more of an adversary to let's say Mary Poppins Returns than people realize. 

Eh, I don't see that kind of hype there. If you are right you'll have bragging rights but if not then, you win some, you lose some.