Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

How could I forget Variety's nonsense on 2nd weekend. They lost a lot of their credibility on that weekend. 

I wasn't following box office at the time, what did they say?

Hundreds of millions of Millennials GREW up with the Potter books. That's an impact on this generation that Marvel can't even begin to duplicate by any stretch of the imagination. To have characters your age grow up with you is unique. 

And there was an enormous poll done by FB, and other sites that asked teens to choose their favorite books. Potter was always on top. And the books ended almost a decade ago.

I absolutely agree with you, but it is time to stop dude.

Potter will be relevant forever. No need to do 300 posts about it only because an Avengers movie broke the OD record that belonged to DH2.

• Like 2

Potter was the first book series that had people camping out at midnight to get their hands on the book. In the age of technology and computers/cell phones, the fact that Rowling had people reading 700-page tomes like they were the coolest thing in the world is a testament to her skill. 

Potter is the most beloved and popular hero of the 21st century. This is not even in question.

Who cares?

The last Harry Potter film came out in like 2011. It's part of the past now, and while its legacy is great, I don't understand why people even feel the need to compare it to The Avengers.

Oh wait, because The Avengers 2 had a 5-hour head start on DH2's OD and that might be the difference in the OD record. So what? TA2 is going to wipe the floor with DH2 in terms of the OW record, with or without the 5-hour head start.

• Like 5

Hundreds of millions of Millennials GREW up with the Potter books. That's an impact on this generation that Marvel can't even begin to duplicate by any stretch of the imagination. To have characters your age grow up with you is unique. 

And there was an enormous poll done by FB, and other sites that asked teens to choose their favorite books. Potter was always on top. And the books ended almost a decade ago.

tumblr_m54dfrOwKA1rprnyt.gif

• Like 2

This thread is turning ugly. Can we drop the Potter conversation?

You guys are crazy sensitive sometimes, this is Potters massive OD going down to an avengers movie yet comparing/contrasting the 2 that's not appropriate? Please direct me what I'm on topic with. Thanks. Jeeze.

Edited by GiantCALBears

While I absolutely love everything JK Rowling gave the world with her incredible imagination, I think it has to be seen in years to come, if the legacy will be as big, as it feels for our generation. I think it has a shot, but only time will tell.

Deadline:Update, 4:50PM: Deadline has received a new updated set of industry estimates showing Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron clocking toward the highest opening single day of all-time with $94M-$97M, blowing away previous champ 2011’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M.  That figure includes the $27.6M from Thursday night shows.  Opening FSS for Ultron still speeding toward an all-time bow. We’re hearing $217M-$220M. We hear that the pre-sales are bigger than anything that Marvel’s ever had. It’s different fromAvengers two years ago because that film benefited from walk-up business.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/

So imo I think 94+++ is happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 3

Grew up with us both in books and in movies. Especially the movies as the were released mostly every year. I was 11 when the first movie came out (same age as potter) and 21 when it ended (not horribly older than potter when it ended. Definitely felt like letting go of a part of my childhood when the last film and books came out. Can't imagine any other series ending that would be able to influence my emotions in as powerful a way as these films/books.

You guys are crazy sensitive sometimes, this is Potters massive OD going down to an avengers movie yet that's not appropriate? Please direct me what I'm on topic with. Thanks. Jeeze.

No need for 300 posts about how Potter will be far more relevant forever then any of these Avengers movies. I agree, but c'mon :lol: This is all happening because Age of Ultron broke the OD record that belonged to DH2.

marvel's biggest mistake was not including child/teen characters from the beginning that would have grown up over the years with the movies and had a similar impact to harry potter. this era of the mcu will end with iw2 after TEN YEARS just like harry potter and yet it has NO generation impact because it's so stagnant and no one grows up throughout it. not hating, i just think it would have been cool and a good move

Deadline:Update, 4:50PM: Deadline has received a new updated set of industry estimates showing Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron clocking toward the highest opening single day of all-time with $94M-$97M, blowing away previous champ 2011’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M.  That figure includes the $27.6M from Thursday night shows.  Opening FSS for Ultron still speeding toward an all-time bow. We’re hearing $217M-$220M. We hear that the pre-sales are bigger than anything that Marvel’s ever had. It’s different fromAvengers two years ago because that film benefited from walk-up business.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/

94M is a done deal. Insane.

Strange. 95m is really good but it doesn't really impress me. DH2 obliterated the OD record at the time.....20m higher than any film before its time. This is just a slight increase over the OD record. And it would need to do well over 100m for one to argue it even sold more tickets than DH2 in the first 24hrs. Nonetheless....a very solid OD! The piblic seems to to eat these films up like crazy.

No need for 300 posts about how Potter will be far more relevant forever then any of these Avengers movies. I agree, but c'mon :lol: This is all happening because Age of Ultron broke the OD record that belonged to DH2.

Unlike Dh2 it will make money on Saturday and Sunday  :P

• Like 1

Deadline:Update, 4:50PM: Deadline has received a new updated set of industry estimates showing Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron clocking toward the highest opening single day of all-time with $94M-$97M, blowing away previous champ 2011’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M. That figure includes the $27.6M from Thursday night shows. Opening FSS for Ultron still speeding toward an all-time bow. We’re hearing $217M-$220M. We hear that the pre-sales are bigger than anything that Marvel’s ever had. It’s different fromAvengers two years ago because that film benefited from walk-up business.

Well, I mean if it makes $94m I wouldn't call it "blowing away" DH2's record.