Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

I'm on page 44 right now but replying anyways to this pointless Harry Potter vs AoU previews/midnights debate.

Your comparing the wrong elements. It's not the hours that matter, it's the amount of screenings.

Last night, my local megaplex with 23 screens had 11 AoU showings from 7pm to close. Two of those were after midnight showings.

For Deathly Hollows II, they had 23 showings, on all 23 of their screens, at midnight, and many theaters did the same thing, locally, and nationwide. The demand for those midnights were much higher than the AoU previews due to the "finale factor" of the franchise that many people tend to ignore.

You also cant compare a preview nigt in APRIL (technically) to one in the middle of July.

AoU and DHII are completely different beasts. Stop comparing them.

• Like 4

From what I gather from Twitter, people haven't got trailers for Star Wars, BvS, Mad Max, Ant-Man, Inside Out or Tomorrowland. What trailers are theaters programming with Avengers 2?? If they don't want to play Star Wars or BvS I understand as the movies are far away still and will have their own huge marketing campaigns. But playing the Mad Max trailer or a Fantastic Four trailer or an Ant-Man trailer before Avengers would definitely lead to some additional interest in those movies from audiences on the fence. Instead, the trailers before Avengers seem to be the initial teasers instead of the later and better trailers for some of these.

The trailers before Avengers last night were:

Fantastic 4

Tomorrowand

Pixels (actually got the biggest reaction)

Jurassic World

San Andreas (More than a few people said "thats not GTA")

The trailers before Avengers last night were:

Fantastic 4

Tomorrowand

Pixels (actually got the biggest reaction)

Jurassic World

San Andreas (More than a few people said "thats not GTA")

Pixels will be big. People online underestimate it and write it off because of Sandler. 

IF it somehow does $85m, then the rest of the weekend would be:

$85m

$57m

$46m

$188m

But that's only if the $85m actually happens.

A lower Saturday than Iron Man 3?

IF it somehow does $89m, then the rest of the weekend would be:

$89m

$66m

$53m

$208m

But that's only if the $89m actually happens.

How is it "somehow"? That would be the second highest opening day of all-time, and an absolutely massive number. Stop acting like people thinking this will do under 90 million are completely wrong, considering that's still absolutely massive and you gotta think this franchise has almost maxed out its audience. 

How is it "somehow"? That would be the second highest opening day of all-time, and an absolutely massive number. Stop acting like people thinking this will do under 90 million are completely wrong, considering that's still absolutely massive and you gotta think this franchise has almost maxed out its audience. 

Wow. You need to step back and take a deep breath. Why are you attacking me only and not everyone else predicting sub 200M? Someone gave their "predictions" and I gave mine. The end.

• Like 1

Update, 1:22PM: Industry box office estimates see Disney’s Marvel Avengers: Age of Ultron on track for a $87M opening Friday at the domestic B.O., inclusive of yesterday’s $27.6M receipts. That would make Ultron the second highest opening day of all-time behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M  on its first Friday (on its way to a $169.2M weekend).  An $87M first Friday for Ultron also pegs it ahead of first installment Avengers which made $80.8M. The industry estimate for Ultron opening weekend is currently $213M.  Again, these figures become harder as cash drawers close out into the evening.

:ph34r: 

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/

Edited by #ED
  • Like 2

IF it somehow does $89m, then the rest of the weekend would be:

$89m

$66m

$53m

$208m

But that's only if the $89m actually happens.

I love the sass at the end. 

Update, 1:22PM: Industry box office estimates see Disney’s Marvel Avengers: Age of Ultron on track for a $87M opening Friday at the domestic B.O., inclusive of yesterday’s $27.6M receipts. That would make Ultron the second highest opening day of all-time behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M  on its first Friday (on its way to a $169.2M weekend).  An $87M first Friday for Ultron also pegs it ahead of first installment Avengers which made $80.8M. The industry estimate for Ultron opening weekend is currently $213M.  Again, these figures become harder as cash drawers close out into the evening.

:ph34r: 

Where's the link?

Wow. You need to step back and take a deep breath. Why are you attacking me only and not everyone else predicting sub 200M? Someone gave their "predictions" and I gave mine. The end.

I don't know if I misread your post, but two pages ago you said that this is no way this would only do 89, and that the 89 number is grossly underestimated. So you seemed to be insinuating that it would be some crazy underperformance if this did 89 million today. But maybe I misinterpreted it. 

And I'm not attacking you, I'm debating you on a box office forum because I think your prediction is wrong. That's what we're here for.