Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

LOL, Variety. STFU and siddown until you give us a decent range.

I thought all you IMAX people were saddled with the 6-min TOMORROWLAND sequence.

Looks like the range is actually the same as Gitesh predicted earlier. No one is quite sure yet how the evening and night shows will shape up. Avengers killed it during the evening and night shows. If AoU does similarly, then who knows?

Edited by grim22

Update, 1:22PM: Industry box office estimates see Disney’s Marvel Avengers: Age of Ultron on track for a $87M opening Friday at the domestic B.O., inclusive of yesterday’s $27.6M receipts. That would make Ultron the second highest opening day of all-time behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M  on its first Friday (on its way to a $169.2M weekend).  An $87M first Friday for Ultron also pegs it ahead of first installment Avengers which made $80.8M. The industry estimate for Ultron opening weekend is currently $213M.  Again, these figures become harder as cash drawers close out into the evening.

:ph34r: 

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/

That would be great number

I thought all you IMAX people were saddled with the 6-min TOMORROWLAND sequence.

Fortunately my IMAX showing spared us that.

Guys, come on. Let's be realistic. There is no way it's gonna do less than $90m with an extra 5 hours of showings when its predecessor did $80m in 24 hours.

not guranteed noctis. but it can happen. all depends on the movie fans and can they get off work etc.

That big IMAX subcharge and you have to watch six minutes of that fucking movie? Disney should be PAYING people extra to watch that, not the other way around.

• Like 1

I didn't see it in IMAX. was considering doing that later but you've successfully dissuaded me.

• Like 1

Looks like the range is actually the same as Gitesh predicted earlier. No one is quite sure yet how the evening and night shows will shape up.

No media outlet has a clue.  It's astonishing that after all these years, they don't put the effort in for decent extrapolations, or better yet, make public the data they're extrapolating from.  We could give a more precise projection/range if we were given Matinee gross.

• Like 2

I don't know if I misread your post, but two pages ago you said that this is no way this would only do 89, and that the 89 number is grossly underestimated. So you seemed to be insinuating that it would be some crazy underperformance if this did 89 million today. But maybe I misinterpreted it. 

And I'm not attacking you, I'm debating you on a box office forum because I think your prediction is wrong. That's what we're here for. 

I think you read it wrong.

Is this the post:

IF it somehow does $89m, then the rest of the weekend would be:

$89m

$66m

$53m

$208m

But that's only if the $89m actually happens.

87m. Higher than the first and not a good number? 

FIVE EXTRA HOURS

That means...if it were released at midnights (like normal films), then it would have done below TA1's OD!!!!!!

Not sure if any IMAX viewers for the Tomorrowland sequence. Weird, I thought Disney would push that for sure.

I didn't get that. Had forgotten about that possibility, I'm so glad I was spared

No media outlet has a clue.  It's astonishing that after all these years, they don't put the effort in for decent extrapolations, or better yet, make public the data they're extrapolating from.  We could give a more precise projection/range if we were given Matinee gross.

If they only had your resources we could have a running gross counter.

Obviously it's a good number in a vacuum regardless, but that number is only "good" in relative terms (in comparison to the first) if it performs like the first over the rest of the weekend, which I doubt.