Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

We'll know better by the end of the weekend, but so far I think it might come close. Though I'd say odds aren't great.

The answer is no

Exactly.

GiantCAL, you have never sounded more attractive than you do now.

Ew. I'm defending it because as a piece of intellectual property it has more potential staying power than Avengers/Marvel long term. Right now is the golden age for them but it will not always be the case. Fatigue could very well set in by the end of the decade. Edited by GiantCALBears

Stan Lee is rich, so that's kind of silly for you to say. Actually, it's beyond silly to say.

As for Marvel, yes, they have been around longer and have spanned generations. They have a legacy that spans generations.Potter hasn't come close to spanning that long. Yet, you're trying to say Potter's legacy will be greater than something that already has a legacy that spans generations? No way.

Because the Potter books have had more of a cultural impact worldwide in one month than the entire Marvel comics in 50 years. 

• Like 2

There s no better, only preferences.

Some People dig Potter a lot, some don t.

Some people dig Iron Man & co, some don t.

Debating who s better or who has the most importance in pop culture relevancy is an exercise in futility.

Well to be fair......why wouldn't Katniss give you a boner?

• Like 3

No chance, I would ever take back that experience. Amount of chaos that ensued when Rth posted 80M was shocking and when it was started to die down, he came in with 70M Saturday. Also, who can forget Sunday. People thought Disney would fudge Sunday to make sure it hit 200M guess what no fudging needed, it bludgeoned past that number. That weekend was when Rth's legend started and off course "Not a Record" line by Nikki. This time a lot more negativity, with TA1 everyone was just stunned that numbers could get that high. TA1 was just huge party compared this weekend. We're comparing apples and oranges, really.  

Yeah that was pretty epic. I was only lurking back then. Wasn't TA opening weekend around the first time Rth made his presence known? I remember at the time thinking he was a long-time veteran. And 100M second weekend was also nuts

• Like 1

Oh, and could we just agree, that Potter, Star Wars and Marvel all have a well deserved place in the history of movies and media, without being compareable?

That's like that eternal discussion about Gone with the Wind, Star Wars, Titanic or Avatar being most successful.

Different times, different factors, all fucking great in what they are and have achieved. That has to be enough...

• Like 1

Stan Lee is rich, so that's kind of silly for you to say. Actually, it's beyond silly to say.

As for Marvel, yes, they have been around longer and have spanned generations. They have a legacy that spans generations.Potter hasn't come close to spanning that long. Yet, you're trying to say Potter's legacy will be greater than something that already has a legacy that spans generations? No way.

I'm saying as an individual piece of IP it will have longer staying power over the lifetimes of the posters on here then anything Marvel has, yes.

Because the Potter books have had more of a cultural impact worldwide in one month than the entire Marvel comics in 50 years.

I can guarantee you Potter will be remembered (book or film wise) and will have a longer generation impact than any Marvel hero.

• Like 6

What metric system do you use as evidence of such claim ?

• Like 2

I can guarantee you Potter will be remembered (book or film wise) and will have a longer generation impact than any Marvel hero.

No question, it's such a lock it's hilarious. If JK ever decided to write a sequel or prequel tell me there wouldn't be craziness.

What metric system do you use as evidence of such claim ?

The recognition. Everybody heard of HP. I know people from my generation, let alone older, that don't know what Marvel is.

• Like 3

If anything I thought Avengers 1 ´s second week end was even more crazy than the first one because we then knew we had a monster on our hands and one of the biggest movie ever in attendance in America.