antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

It looks interesting, a bit like several other movies of that kind, but interesting. Some neat visuals. It didn't grab me but I like it. Want to learn more about the mystery. 

My speculation

Natalie's husband is one of those humans that grow from the tree, like a body snatcher pod people only tree people in this case. A replica, not the real husband. The real one is probably dead.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

I'm getting Mother! boxoffice prospect from the fact that interest in this appears to be concentrated only on Awards Watch that was also an obsessive Mother! stronghold. Not the best omen, though I admit this is dumb af conclusion. :D

Everywhere else there are shrugs and crickets. I mean, even here, where trailers usually generate some palatable interest, the thread is slow af. ;)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Got very strong Arrival vibes from that trailer.

Same.....which is a good thing to me personally on a storytelling standpoint. I was vaguely interested (read: for Oscar and Tessa) but I'm pretty on board now and super interested. 

I think the teaser shows enough promise that I'm interested. I'd be more interested if it wasn't Portman as the lead though.

I was a big Portman fan for years and was glad when she finally won the Oscar, but since then I find her rigid and off putting, both on screen and off.

She also isn't looking well either, in the trailer she is very gaunt and her skin tone is an unhealthy hue, almost grey.

8 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

I think the teaser shows enough promise that I'm interested. I'd be more interested if it wasn't Portman as the lead though.

I was a big Portman fan for years and was glad when she finally won the Oscar, but since then I find her rigid and off putting, both on screen and off.

She also isn't looking well either, in the trailer she is very gaunt and her skin tone is an unhealthy hue, almost grey.

It makes sense cause it appears from the trailer that her husband went missing, she possibly went on a mission to find him, appears that she found him but he's changed (won't kiss her or whatever). So she's suffered. Add to that that she discovered something super weird (aliens? other beings?), that her team may not have made it (since only she is interviewed), etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Based on Tele and Gopher's earlier comments I assume the Arrival vibe is just Paramount covering their asses because they don't know how else to sell this. Looks very intriguing, anyway.

It's more STALKER meets Cronenberg than ARRIVAL (though I can see why they're taking that angle with marketing: trippy, high-falutin' sci-fi with female scientist lead.)

• Like 2