kayumanggi

ATOMIC BLONDE | 07.28.17 | Focus Features | David Leitch | Charlize Theron, James McAvoy

Atomic Blonde's marketing reminds me of Ghost in the Shell more than Wonder Woman's. There is, in my opinion, too much of an emphasis on how hot Theron's character is and a same sex love scene probably directed towards the maze gaze.  I think people are over predicting it, I believe it will be lucky to make 40mil.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

14 hours ago, Kingp0va said:

Charlize is box office poison for some reason. 9/32 DOM 100 WW

25 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

she is.

furiosa.gif

(You must live in Kelly-Anne Conway's alternative world where F8 was a flop. Here in the real world it has grossed 224M DOM/1,2B WW. Such poison...)

• Like 4

Theron is neither poison nor a box office-boosting star on her own. Her movies live and die by how well they are promoted and received. Atomic Blonde is really the first movie in years where her character is basically marketed as the main attraction. 

• Like 4

The very concept of poison make little sense outside the studio system (were studio were under obligation to use actors they signed for 10 movies even if they had a become a clear negative for the BO). You would need to a be a very special talent that director really want to ever find work as a poison on studios movies nowaday.

Studio don't pay big price for someone like Theron on a FF movie if she was a poison, she must have good metric in most market and you cannot know that no one went to see FF8 were influenced by her presence, one of her late night show appearance in the world promo tour and so on, it is rare that it is no one, exit poll show that someone like James Franco had according to ticket buyer polled some impact on a Spider-Man movie first weekend.....

I've gotten this trailer at everything I've seen since F8. Starting to wear thin, even though that music is dope. I think that this will be a hit and also that outside of the period setting/style this looks like if someone said "John Wick with a woman!" but then added a wayyyyyy more complicated and less catchy plot than Wick had.

50 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've gotten this trailer at everything I've seen since F8. Starting to wear thin, even though that music is dope. I think that this will be a hit and also that outside of the period setting/style this looks like if someone said "John Wick with a woman!" but then added a wayyyyyy more complicated and less catchy plot than Wick had.

The trailer never gets old for me. I'd love to be stalked by it; I got it twice on Friday (along with MOTOE and the film that shan't be named).

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The trailer never gets old for me. I'd love to be stalked by it; I got it twice on Friday (along with MOTOE and the film that shan't be named).

The power of the Theron/Boutella scene. 

This movie is getting IMAX here btw. Will I survive?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kingp0va said:

Nobody watched FF for charlize theron, the rpevious installment did better

and mad max underperformed

young adult bombed and thats her only real lead

Young Adult was a squirm-inducing dark comedy about a character most audiences would find unlikable. It was never gonna be a breakout with the GA.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Young Adult was a squirm-inducing dark comedy about a character most audiences would find unlikable. It was never gonna be a breakout with the GA.

Alright.

The Huntsman: Winter's War , a BOMB

Dark Places, from the creator of gone girl, didnt even get on theatres, lmao!

Mad Max: Fury Road underperformed and barely made profit

A Million Ways to Die in the West , flop

Prometheus , underperformed

Snow White and the Huntsman , underperformed

Young Adult , whatever, i loove the movie tho

The Road , bomb

and before this she made some indie movies that flopped even for indie standards

her only succesful project other than FF post oscar has been hancock and that was on will's shoulders 100%

Edited by Kingp0va
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

Alright.

The Huntsman: Winter's War , a BOMB

Dark Places, from the creator of gone girl, didnt even get on theatres, lmao!

Mad Max: Fury Road underperformed and barely made profit

A Million Ways to Die in the West , flop

Prometheus , underperformed

Snow White and the Huntsman , underperformed

Young Adult , whatever, i loove the movie tho

The Road , bomb

and before this she made some indie movies that flopped even for indie standards

her only succesful project post oscar has been hancock and that was on will's shoulders 100%

Snow White and Prometheus got a sequel. That kinda of murk your point. If she was a walking BO poison, studios wouldn't have greenlighted sequels and double down on those.

Theron is not a superstar draw (Well again, who is in this era? Even the almighty Cruise missile and Big Willie got a few duds lately that kind of tainted their BO draw champion status) but she's not into "Olivia Wilde BO suckage magnet" territory who cannot headline a movie to save her life either.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 7