Dementeleus

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

In two words: Fucking awesome.

In more than two words: It's not often that a summer blockbuster leaves me speechless, but Mad Max: Fury Road accomplished that very feat. It's a bold and crazily entertaining action movie that makes the absolute most of director George Miller's vision. The world and characters feel well-realized; but while that's no small feat considering the genre and the inherent expansiveness of a post-apocalyptic universe, the set pieces are what truly elevate the film to greatness. The action sequences are brilliantly composed and executed, and they carry both a greater visual splendor and visceral thump than anything in a huge-budget film since at least The Dark Knight Rises, if not earlier. The brazen energy in these sequences is unlike anything in other major studio action films in quite some time, and it's astounding to consider that a major studio really let Miller get away with the frame rate changes and purposefully jarring cuts that lend a rough hew to these sequences that fits perfectly with the film's rough-and-tumble setting. It also benefits from very memorable performances from Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult. Theron instantly takes her place among the great badass action heroines with a thoroughly committed performance and a dominating screen presence. Hoult, who provides some of the most bizarrely eye-catching moments in the ad campaign, goes for broke with a performance that is by different turns batty and surprisingly poignant. Tom Hardy isn't as memorable as Max, but he eases into the role well enough to make audiences forget about Mel Gibson. As a whole, the film is so brilliantly entertaining that I was left wanting even further adventures as soon as it ended. I haven't been this thoroughly satisfied with a big-budget action film in years.

A
  • Like 4

Colin Gibson, production designer, revealed who the stilted creatures are. It turns out when the green place turned sour, the Vuvalinis took all the girls and left behind the men/boys to rote with the crows, they became those scavengers hopelessly roaming the polluted soils. The Vuvalinis took Immortan Joe's merciless and callous disregard of women, spun that mysoginistic ideology by being as merciless and extreme to men but it still goes to a dead end. Furiosa and the brides represents the third way to help raising a more equal and peaceful society on the ashes.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 3

Colin Gibson, production designer, revealed who the stilted creatures are. It turns out when the green place turned sour, the Vuvalinis took all the girls and left behind the men/boys to rote with the crows, they became those scavengers hopelessly roaming the polluted soils. The Vuvalinis took Immortan Joe's merciless and callous disregard of women, spun that mysoginistic ideology by being as merciless and extreme to men but it still goes to a dead end. Furiosa and the brides represents the third way to help raising a more equal and peaceful society on the ashes.

I'm... still not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I get what they were going for but OTOH, emphasizing the "man hate" of one of the incredibly few representations of a badass matriarchy/women dominated society like the Vuvalini gives off a stink of typical MRA anecdote based self-victimization. I guess this revelation didn't sit well with me because I am still pissed at what they did to the Amazons in the latest Wonder Woman comics (revealed them as seducing men, killing them after being impregnated, and then selling off male offspring as slaves, despite being depicted as an enlightened and peace loving culture for decades).  

Do the Vuvalinis really have to be tarred with deep shades of grey to appease cries of misandry? I mean, we already have Max, a man who proved his worth and necessity by providing his blood as a lifeforce to Furiosa, and Nux, the boy who just needed something real to hope and live for. Of course the MRAs are totally going to pretend those male characters don't exist or will undercut their value just because they don't fit their narrative. If they wanted more gender politics complexity, they would've been better off with the female anti-feminist equivalent (women loyalists of Immortan Joe) or with one of the wives rebelling against Furiosa and co. 

I'd say that, if anything, the reveal about the Vuvalinis makes them more interesting characters, and their own attempt at redemption through helping the Wives is more powerful in retrospect. Who cares what the MRAs think. 

Except this kind of "reveal" is exactly the kind of fictional feminist/SJW ruled dystopic culture MRAs keep prattling about. The Vuvalinis being human was already apparent in their inability to regrow the flora and fauna of the Wastelands by themselves and having to resort to violence for defence. This is just excessive.

I am not angry what was shown in the film as it was actually interesting.

However I do not understand on which basis a female dominated society would be a utopia if a male domination society is a dystopia. 

Clearly an equal society is best and such opinions are driven by simple minded one sided thinking by radicals. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

The Vuvalinis weren't by any stretch of the imagination a "utopia". They were the last of their kind, on the brink of extinction, unable to repopulate the Earth by themselves, and had to survive by adopting the violent means they abhorred so much. Just because they weren't sadistic like Immortan made them seem much better in comparison.

It was already apparent that the Vuvalinis weren't the ideal society and that peaceful and respectful co-existence between women and men was obviously the only means for evolution. This abandonment of male children element is just hitting the point on the head with a hammer, something the movie gracefully avoided otherwise. It also goes against the Vuvalinis' "conservationist" nature that the movie had established through the Keeper of the Seeds and the economic use of bullets against Immortan's forces. And tempers the effect of the "Green Place" scene, where the stilt-creatures were eerier when we had no clue what they were.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

I have watched this movie. Definitely one of the best movie ive ever seen,the action is non stop an put together very well,the vehicles were off the hook,incredible scenes throughout,never seen an action film with this much action and intensity,should win a few awards,10/10,