kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates (4-day): TL 41.7 M | PP II 38.5 M | MM: FR 32.1 M | A:AOU 27.8 M | POLTERGEIST 26.5 M

It still earned 33/42M over the 3/4 day MD weekend. Basically around what Tomorrowland is looking at, and this was against both Fast 6 and Hangover 3.

It probably wasn't a very good result for FOX/Blue Sky.

So overrated, pretentious films? ;)

I'd be interested if you could be the first person on the internet to add legitimacy to the criticism of "pretentious" beyond "movie other people think is smart that I don't like as much"

• Like 2

I am kind of surprised with the complete lack of animated movies this summer. MD weekend would have been a good spot for a smaller animated movie release like Epic did 2 years ago.

Plus, wasn't like 2 years ago when a massive amount of family movies killed each other in an epic way? That caused that last year and this year had way less family movies.

Plus, wasn't like 2 years ago when a massive amount of family movies killed each other in an epic way? That caused that last year and this year had way less family movies.

Dreamworks culling their entire slate didn't help either. With Dreamworks, Paramount, WB and Fox/Blue Sky all upping their animated output I think we will see more animated movies on MD weekend going forward. I think Monster Trucks was on this weekend for some time before it moved to December and then to March 2016.

2013 was a horrible summer in terms of competition. Even Monsters University could not manage a good multiplier for animated movies.

Edited by grim22

Dreamworks culling their entire slate didn't help either. With Dreamworks, Paramount, WB and Fox/Blue Sky all upping their animated output I think we will see more animated movies on MD weekend going forward. I think Monster Trucks was on this weekend for some time before it moved to December and then to March 2016.

2013 was a horrible summer in terms of competition. Even Monsters University could not manage a good multiplier for animated movies.

They had one movie this Summer stuck between Tomorrowland and Inside Out :lol: 

Worst weekend of the year over here  :unsure: Only Pitch Perfect 2 and an Asterix animated movie opening and both at tanking massively. Avengers has nothing left in the tank. Fast 7 and Hot Pursuit are dead as well. Mad Max is the only thing selling tickets. Things won't get better next weekend since Tomorrowland and Poltergeist probably won't do very well either.

Edited by CJohn

I was predicting TOmorrowland to do Home numbers.  Removing Thursday estimates, Tomorrowland did 9 million Friday.  I think increases and holds are in films favor this weekend.  sports playoff competition is about even from last week and all increases last week were greater than previous year comparisons.  if all factors work out in Tomorrowland's favor, it could see a potential maximum increase of 50% adding 4.5 million from the 9 million real Friday number.   9 +  4.5 = 13.5 Saturday.  maybe it will do 12 million Sunday and 10 million Monday.  36 3day weekend, 46 4day weekend. 

Poltergeist is PG-13 3-D and appeals to older adults too.  good reason to believe it increases 25% today from real Friday number.  i estimate 10 million Saturday, 8.5 million Sunday, 5.6 million Monday.  8 + 1.4 + 10 + 8.5 + 5.6 = 27.9 3day, 33.5 4 day

Edited by Matrix4you

I don't think Poltergeist is getting good word of mouth, it's user rating keeps dropping hard on IMDB and Flixter. I think it will fall hard for the next 3 days.

that doesn't mean really a whole lot thought though the GI Joe movies were poorly received on both Flixster and IMDB same with The Devil Inside for example

I'd be interested if you could be the first person on the internet to add legitimacy to the criticism of "pretentious" beyond "movie other people think is smart that I don't like as much"

you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

Legit not gonna argue, I hate the use of the word "pretentious" too, so I was being a hypocrite. (Although I think if any movie can be legitimately called pretentious, it's Birdman)

that doesn't mean really a whole lot thought though the GI Joe movies were poorly received on both Flixster and IMDB same with The Devil Inside for example

Yeah but The Devil Inside dropped like a rock!