kayumanggi

UGLYDOLLS | 05.03.19 | STX Entertainment | Robert Rodriguez | animated feature

This is gonna be an interesting case-study at the box-office. Its audience is more defined than Missing Link's was, but with Avengers hogging the limelight and reviews bound to be against it, Uglydolls could definitely be in serious trouble. I'm gonna go make a club.

9 minutes ago, Slambros said:

This is gonna be an interesting case-study at the box-office. Its audience is more defined than Missing Link's was, but with Avengers hogging the limelight and reviews bound to be against it, Uglydolls could definitely be in serious trouble. I'm gonna go make a club.

Uglydolls opening weekend over Endgame’s second weekend incoming!

:ohmygod:

• Astonished 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:56 AM, filmlover said:

I said this in the Tracking thread just now but this is getting one of the smallest auditoriums at my theater this weekend. Really think it's headed for a Missing Link-esque opening.

I guess you can say it’s looking ugly :Venom:

I know competition is always a good thing, but honestly some studios should just give up trying to do their own animated franchises. Either you have the in-house talent - or a distribution deal with one of the other top animation studios - or you don't, in which case you shouldn't even be in the animation game. Movies like this or Wonder Park just seem like cheap knockoffs of something Pixar or Illumination would do.

I’m a sucker for animated musicals and I had a feeling from the snippet of ‘Couldn’t Be Better’ from the first trailer that the music was going to be good.

I will echo someone else’s post that the soundtrack does give off a ‘Trolls’ vibe, however the music in this movie is all original, well-done, and very catchy.

Couldn’t Be Better (both Pop and movie version), All Dolled Up, and Unbreakable are all solid. The performances and talent of Kelly Clarkson & Janelle Monae are also noteworthy. I’m very impressed with the music especially considering this movie isn’t from the big players in animation like Disney, DreamWorks, or BlueSky.

I’m hoping that people will give this movie a chance like I did and doesn’t completely bomb, though I think oddly choosing to release the movie in May sealed its fate. 

This could have done ‘respectable’ numbers similar to ‘Storks’ or ‘Small Foot’ had it been released in September.

In the very least I’m hoping that people will give the movie’s soundtrack some credit that it deserves.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:35 PM, JB33 said:

I know competition is always a good thing, but honestly some studios should just give up trying to do their own animated franchises. Either you have the in-house talent - or a distribution deal with one of the other top animation studios - or you don't, in which case you shouldn't even be in the animation game. Movies like this or Wonder Park just seem like cheap knockoffs of something Pixar or Illumination would do.

That is because they are cheap knockoffs of what the bigger animatation companies would do.

In recent years, the cost to doing computer animation has dropped.Yes, it is still expensive to do it right, but now you can do a computer animated film on the cheap. You have seen a whole flock of knockoffs.

Of course, cheap knockoff of successful films have been around since movie began. No doubt in 1900 they were doing quicky ripoffs of "The Great Train Robbery"

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, DAJK said:

Yea, he sure needs one. Spy Kids was pretty much 20 years ago :ohmygod: 

He did have a hit with "Sin City" but, yeah, Rodriguez has not had a hit for a long time.