K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

So this pretty much ensures a new Jaws movie on the horizon. Nostalgia brands are hot, creature features are hot, Spielbergs name is still hot, sharks are universally loved like dinos, and the IP is owned by Uni and they really know how to market lately.

I dont see how it doesnt happen. It could be just like JW, technically a sequel, with a reboot feel.

• Like 1

Holy Jesus, I was one of the more bullish people on this site for JW from the word go, and even I'm a little flabbergasted by that number, especially considering it's more family-oriented than alot of major blockbusters. Also, this year's NBA Finals have had the best ratings through Game 4 since Jordan's last Finals against the Jazz, so it did it against pretty stacked competition (18 million viewers for the game, but considering big sports events should always be doubled due to bars and parties, it was probably over 30 million people watching.) 150 isn't a lock or anything but it is certainly in the cards, which is pretty astounding. 

So this pretty much ensures a new Jaws movie on the horizon. Nostalgia brands are hot, creature features are hot, Spielbergs name is still hot, sharks are universally loved like dinos, and the IP is owned by Uni and they really know how to market lately.

I dont see how it doesnt happen. It could be just like JW, technically a sequel, with a reboot feel.

Jaws wouldn't qualify as "nostalgia". it's too old.

The next obvious nostalgia film is INDEPENDENCE DAY 2 coming next summer. ID4 is not as highly regarded by millenials as Jurassic Park, but it's still big.

It would be way more difficult. Jurrasic Park is about wonder and wowing the audience, a jaws remake/reboot/whatever has to be scary to work.

Damn! That is huge. Not surprised though, the marketing has been insane. Here in London every direction you look Jurassic World is there. Especially on the tube. In waterloo station (busiest in the country) there's an amazing dinosaur display. Never seen something like that for any film before.

The next obvious nostalgia film is INDEPENDENCE DAY 2 coming next summer. ID4 is not as highly regarded by millenials as Jurassic Park, but it's still big.

I can call it nostalgia if i want too. Its an old property, but its still famous.

Nostalgia is tough because it doesn't apply to every property. You have to be able to figure out which ones it will and will not apply to.

For example, nostalgia sure didn't help AMERICAN PIE 4 or SCREAM 4. Both of those properties were too "of their time" and their primary audience outgrew the concept & thusly didn't go see the new film.

Jurassic Park was perhaps the defining film brand of the 1990s. It's core audience at this point in time (2015) still goes to the movies frequently and likely has families to bring along in tow. As I pointed out in my KJ article, the 22 year gap betweem JP1 and JW is the same gap there was between A NEW HOPE and THE PHANTOM MENACE.

Both properties sat at these very specific point in peoples minds where they were old enough to feel fresh and exciting again once reintroduced, but not old enough to the point where to many they felt lame/date (think STAR TREK in the 2000s).

ID4-2 is the next big one. Another brand which you could see make a comeback and find major success in my opinion would be AUSTIN POWERS.

Jurassic Park was a huge part of childhood for a generation. This was always going to happen.

• Like 2

I can call it nostalgia if i want too. Its an old property, but its still famous.

Then call it what you will, it will not experience nostalgic boost that Jurassic World has received. JAWS fans from 1977 are too old.

Nostalgia is tough because it doesn't apply to every property. You have to be able to figure out which ones it will and will not apply to.

For example, nostalgia sure didn't help AMERICAN PIE 4 or SCREAM 4. Both of those properties were too "of their time" and their primary audience outgrew the concept & thusly didn't go see the new film.

Jurassic Park was perhaps the defining film brand of the 1990s. It's core audience at this point in time (2015) still goes to the movies frequently and likely has families to bring along in tow. As I pointed out in my KJ article, the 22 year gap betweem JP1 and JW is the same gap there was between A NEW HOPE and THE PHANTOM MENACE.

Both properties sat at these very specific point in peoples minds where they were old enough to feel fresh and exciting again once reintroduced, but not old enough to the point where to many they felt lame/date (think STAR TREK in the 2000s).

ID4-2 is the next big one. Another brand which you could see make a comeback and find major success in my opinion would be AUSTIN POWERS.

Jurassic Park was a huge part of childhood for a generation. This was always going to happen.

American Reunion was the biggest film of the franchise by far internationally.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

Um.

STAR WARS

• Like 2

It's not as though Jaws is like GWTW. Countless people who saw it in theaters upon release are still alive, many of them barely 50.

That age goes to the movies 1/5th of the amount of times the 18-40 crowd goes.