K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

it had 60m OS friday. I think it will increase to 90m saturday and 75m sunday. So OS weekend should be 295m and domestic 210 should add up to 505m WW OW> :o

If this beats DH2's worldwide opening weekend...then holy fucking shit. 

But a $90m Saturday is enormous. DH2's highest day OS was $75m.

BoxOffice

@BoxOffice

Early Weekend Estimates: #JurassicWorld Stuns On Friday, Could Topple All-Time Opening Record With $210M fb.me/4LTEddNkn

Lets not get ahead of ourselves just it. 200M is the number for now.

I'd love the second scenario but with IO opening is there a room for a 100m movie in the same weekend?

Well, there was not a 100 grosser, but exactly 2 years ago we had:

Monsters University 82 million (New)

World War Z 66 million (New)

Man of Steel 41 million (2nd)

We could see a JW 90 million 2nd wknd and a IO 65-70 million opening.

• Like 1

One of the few times when I was honestly pretty sad to see a blockbuster suffer from weak legs. Great, great movie.

Doesn't surprise me. PoA got a lot of backlash when it first released from the fandom. 

• Like 1

It isn't just NBA. Game of Thrones season finale is Sunday night too. Goes after a lot of the same audience Jurassic Park feeds on (guys in their 20's to 30's). I think if it can match TA1's 18% Sunday hold that would be great considering the two events on Sunday night. That said, the spillover into Monday could lead to something insane like $25m or higher (a new non-holiday record).

come on. its on HBO. Max audience would be around 10m. I am sure JW can handle it. its playing 4 quad. Its impact will be tiny. This aint fight of the century and tv show can be recorded to be watched later.

NBA Finals won't have May/Pac levels of impact certainly but the series is shattering records for the NBA this decade through four games and that's during the Game 2-4 stretch which is usually weaker. Ratings usually tick up a couple of million at Game 5 if the series is still tied, and with so many people watching in bars and at parties, it's feasible that it draws away 35 million people, plus Game of Thrones. The real difference between this situation and the Avengers is that May/Pac was on Saturday night- prime date night time for casual moviegoers and families. If you're going out to see a movie on Sunday night, you're probably going to see that movie anyway sometime very soon, whereas people who see it on Saturday are doing it just for the activity of it all.

• Like 3

Guys in their 20s-30s were not even born to young kids when the original opened though...

Do what? I'm 29 and saw the original in theaters at age 7. Had all the toys. Still remember the day my mom came home from work with the VHS as a surprise for my birthday later that year.

• Like 1

OK! where is that Bloak on this site who has a Mad Max Fury Road avatar yet posts bull about how bad it was or how bad it's doing at the Box office?

Anyhow, NOW you can talk bull, yes, it DROPPED off a cliff now.

The last few weeks it was doing well.

Edited by Mitch

This might've been the must see kids movie of the year before Minions.

But did it steal Inside Out's thunder?

Yeah i think it did. To be honest, i havent seen remarkable marketing for Inside Out, so these 80m predictions  are crazy. (IMO)

I know we all got burned badly by the fight, but that was a radically different phenomena than the NBA finals.

I think the game will have an impact, but that impact will mean a 18-20% drop on Sunday as opposed to the 10-12% drop I would predict otherwise.

• Like 1

Long time lurker first time poster. I wanted to comment how crazy this weekend is being for JW. And Chris Pratt is undeniably going to be one of the biggest paid actors ever for the new few years. Already has franchises in WB, Uni, and Disney(Lego, GOTG, JW). Crazy. 

This opening kind of makes sense though.. What movies have had dinosaurs in them in the past 10 years? The audiences were hungry for it.

• Like 4

It probably wont have as good a hold as the Avengers did on Saturday. Could even see a slight decrease (from day business).

Not gonna happen with all the sell out and long line reports, and videos, from last night.

I know we all got burned badly by the fight, but that was a radically different phenomena than the NBA finals.

I think the game will have an impact, but that impact will mean a 18-20% drop on Sunday as opposed to the 10-12% drop I would predict otherwise.

Which then means watch out for unreal Monday gross. 26-27 perhaps?

Dinosaurs and Brand Power.

I noticed that during my screening when the Raptors are responding to Indominus' authority and slowly turn towards Pratt & the handlers, everybody is laughing & giggling like crazy. They are rooting for the dinos...

Edited by K1stpierre

Long time lurker first time poster. I wanted to comment how crazy this weekend is being for JW. And Chris Pratt is undeniably going to be one of the biggest paid actors ever for the new few years. Already has franchises in WB, Uni, and Disney(Lego, GOTG, JW). Crazy. 

This opening kind of makes sense though.. What movies have had dinosaurs in them in the past 10 years? The audiences were hungry for it.

Hi! Welcome to the forums! :) Glad to see you've finally come out of your lurking shell :P

And yes, this weekend is already crazy, these are the weekends of I dream of happening. :) and we haven't even started yet!