#ED

Weekend Actuals: Inside Out - 90.44M | Jurassic World - 106.59M

As I said, it all comes down to China here.

San Andreas has done great there while Furiosa doesn t have a release date.

Mad Max just got released in Japan.

I don't care about China BO.

After talking about biggest 2nd place movie this weekend, what's the record for biggest 3rd place movie?

Alvin 2? Alvin 1? I don't know. Probably something during Xmas time.

I just find it remarkable that every conceivable record is being broken these past few weeks. Not just JW crushing everything domestically but biggest overall weekend (which has stood since Avatar). Biggest 2nd place finish (Which has stood since 2004), The OS OW records (Which Potter had).

All that survived was the midnight and OD records Potter managed to hold on to

Agreed. The Internet doesn't want to admit it but WOM is similar to TDK/TA1 (maybe even stronger for JP4) with Joe Schmoe regular moviegoer who doesn't give a flip about rating movies on the Internet. It also appeals to a more universal group of people. Even old people are fascinated by dinosaurs whereas they might be more likely to skip a superhero movie no matter how strong the WOM is.

It's playing hugely hugely well but I think it's right place, right time more than anything. You only needed Iron Man to set the table for TA1 and you only needed Batman Begins to set the table for TDK but they could've released those movies whenever and they would've played about the same. JW benefitted from Pratt's stardom after Guardians but this was also a sequel 15 years in the making. They didn't intentionally wait this long to release a sequel, but by doing so they fostered multiple generations that love dinosaurs and love Jurassic Park. Few 90s films entered the pop culture lexicon more than JP. And this (while I think it sucks as a film) caters to new viewers and old like gangbusters. That's why it's breaking every record. They happened to pick the right moment and nobody (especially Universal, who moved this thing back a year) could've called that. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

As I said, it was Alvin 2 on Xmas '09 wknd, behind Avatar and Sherlock. (That is one of the few times I can recall a studio opening a movie against the second weekend of another of their movies, and it not being a dump. Only at Christmas, folks. And I think Brandon's BOM article at the time said that the Alvin 2 Christmas date was Fox's "insurance policy" for if Avatar flopped? Worked out well regardless...)

Edited by TServo2049

It's playing hugely hugely well but I think it's right place, right time more than anything. They didn't intentionally wait 15 years to release a sequel but by doing so they fostered multiple generations that love dinosaurs and love Jurassic Park. Few 90s films entered the pop culture lexicon more than JP. And this (while I think it sucks as a film) caters to new viewers and old like gangbusters. 

I know you hate the movie, but it delivers what the vast majority of JP fans want. The ending is fucking glorious. My second viewing the other day (Friday), there was a lot of buzz as soon as it ended. Lots of people smiling. The movie is making people happy.

• Like 1

There are plans for a facehugger raping a T-Rex in the next movie so wer're gonna have an Alien T-Rex.

RjmITBO.jpg

Speaking of that, the AvP franchise would have turned out far differently had Fox based it on the AvP Dark Hose comics and corresponding Kenner toy line from the 90s. That's still SCREAMING for a film franchise.

All that survived was the midnight and OD records Potter managed to hold on to

I think Star Wars might take it away this December if it really explodes. If not, what the hell, that record might stay there until 2020+.

• Like 4

It's playing hugely hugely well but I think it's right place, right time more than anything. You only needed Iron Man to set the table for TA1 and you only needed Batman Begins to set the table for TDK but they could've released those movies whenever and they would've played about the same. JW benefitted from Pratt's stardom after Guardians but this was also a sequel 15 years in the making. They didn't intentionally wait this long to release a sequel, but by doing so they fostered multiple generations that love dinosaurs and love Jurassic Park. Few 90s films entered the pop culture lexicon more than JP. And this (while I think it sucks as a film) caters to new viewers and old like gangbusters. That's why it's breaking every record. They happened to pick the right moment and nobody (especially Universal, who moved this thing back a year) could've called that. 

Nah, you wouldn 't have those huge numbers without fantastic WOM among GA.

No way.

The movie may loose steam at one point and miss some goals but its performance so far is driven by great WOM IMO.

• Like 4

Agreed. The Internet doesn't want to admit it but WOM is similar to TDK/TA1 (maybe even stronger for JP4) with Joe Schmoe regular moviegoer who doesn't give a flip about rating movies on the Internet. It also appeals to a more universal group of people. Even old people are fascinated by dinosaurs whereas they might be more likely to skip a superhero movie no matter how strong the WOM is.

No question. WOM is just too strong and I don't see it slowing down at all. It should around 510M by next Sunday so 650M is locked and if continues to have great holds than 700M maybe even 760M+ is possible.

• Like 1

You only needed Iron Man to set the table for TA1 and you only needed Batman Begins to set the table for TDK but they could've released those movies whenever and they would've played about the same.

I don't know if this is entirely true. TDK benefited from enough distance away from 9/11 that people were more willing to have a darker superhero movie. It would not have played as well in summer 2002. Spider-Man 1, by contrast, played PERFECTLY at that time. People wanted something cheerful and optimistic after something so terrible 8 months earlier.

• Like 1

Yes. And it is also having crazy good WOM. 

3rd place record is going down. Alvin 2 with $45M is the highest, even though it opened on wednesday. None of the 3 movies are doing close to $45M this week. I don't think its a record thats tracked, but its a cool fact. IMO it'll go down by at least $10M. In June. Juneeee.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

Budget for JW2 will be close to 300m, lol

Speaking of that, the AvP franchise would have turned out far differently had Fox based it on the AvP Dark Hose comics and corresponding Kenner toy line from the 90s. That's still SCREAMING for a film franchise.

Eh, I think the whole idea of AVP is dumb fanboy fic tbh that should've stayed in the comics.

I know you hate the movie, but it delivers what the vast majority of JP fans want. The ending is fucking glorious. My second viewing the other day (Friday), there was a lot of buzz as soon as it ended. Lots of people smiling. The movie is making people happy.

Yeah, I've been aware from my early viewing it was gonna play way better with most people who weren't like me. Same happened with Avatar and American Sniper too. 

• Like 1