Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

-37% - Inside Out - 32.85 - 250.75

-40% - Jurassic World - 32.47 - 561.64

(new) - Terminator 5 - 28.56 - 43.20

(new) - Magic Mike 2 - 27.01 - 42.95

-52% - Ted 2 - 15.49 - 63.32

-32% - Max - 8.32 - 27.49

-33% - Spy - 5.28 - 98.03

-42% - San Andreas - 3.14 - 147.63

-53% - Dope - 1.31 - 14.39

-28% - Avengers - 1.21 - 454.62

-36% - Mad Max - 1.12 - 149.13

-58% - Insidious 3 - 0.85 - 51.55

-54% - Pitch Perfect 2 - 0.67 - 182.45

-63% - Tomorrowland - 0.39 - 91.02

-8% - Home - 0.37 - 175.47

+15% - Paul Blart 2 - 0.35 - 70.44

-63% - Entourage - 0.30 - 31.98

+30% - Aloha - 0.26 - 20.89

-19% - Cinderella - 0.21 - 200.72

Poltergeist - 0.11 - 47.18

Woman in Gold - 0.11 - 33.01

Hot Pursuit - 0.10 - 34.34

Insurgent - 0.09 - 130.15

Age of Adaline - 0.08 - 42.62

• Like 2

Back in 2009 (when July 4th also fell on a Saturday) both films that were released on Wednesday, July 1st faced a 15-20% drop the next day.

Sorry, but anyone expecting TG to "do better" tomorrow night be setting themselves up for disappointment. If $9M holds for Wednesday, Thursday will likely be $8M.

Friday $12M

Saturday $8.5M

Sunday $9.5M

$30M OW/$47M 5-day

Edited by superduperm

Hearing dire WOM on Terminator already.

Not surprised. I thought the trailer was laughable.

"Come with me if you want to live!" Haha.

And Channing Tatum, that's what you get for slagging the Scream franchise. He said to Howard Stern GI Joe contract from Paramount could have been worse, he could have been made to do Scream 5. Well, Let's see Magic Mike XXL do the $175m adjusted gross of Scream 2, you prick.

Edited by Krissykins

Not the writers, director and actors?

Everyone, but I was talking more in the sense of the studio running the whole show since they obviously had the intention of making more Terminator movie and reviving the franchise.

Every bad decision was made here. Marketing, script, director, casting... All bad.

Edited by JennaJ

Hearing dire WOM on Terminator already.

Not surprised. I thought the trailer was laughable.

"Come with me if you want to live!" Haha.

And Channing Tatum, that's what you get for slagging the Scream franchise. He said to Howard Stern GI Joe contract from Paramount could have been worse, he could have been made to do Scream 5. Well, Let's see Magic Mike XXL do the $175m adjusted gross of Scream 2, you prick.

Is Channing one of the good guys in Hollywood? You know, down to earth, zero ego?

I wonder if Paramount are going to fire their marketing department. Especially the person who had to idea to plaster the twist everywhere.

the marketing department got hungover and put the movie out on TV spots instead because they knew they would lose money.

i really don't understand why they keep doing terminator film.... Terminator is cameron's work his idea his universe no one can do better or equal even if it s a good director.

Cameron does not think like us said Peter jackson he thinks different so.... 2 terminator was enough .

Alala Hollywood today....

MM opened on a Friday.  Why would you guys expect MM2 to match those numbers on a Wednesday?  It isn't doing poorly.  This is a film aimed at women, working women.  They worked on Wednesday.  It's much more of a get together on the weekend film.  

• Like 4

MM opened on a Friday.  Why would you guys expect MM2 to match those numbers on a Wednesday?  It isn't doing poorly.  This is a film aimed at women, working women.  They worked on Wednesday.  It's much more of a get together on the weekend film.  

Yep, MMXL can recover from this opening day. Things are more dire for TG. It is a 30 year old franchise and is a PG-13 action movie that should've appealed to High School kids who are out of school in July.

• Like 1

TG is the perfect response to those who said nostalgia was the only thing that made JW so big.

It takes so much more than just that. TG has nothing but nostalgia going for it, and now we see the results.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

Found this link on HSX.

http://adage.com/article/media/popcorn-flic/299309/

Apparently, Warners spend as much TV ad money on Entourage as they did on Mad Max and San Andreas. I am not sure if I buy all the numbers (Dog drama Max cost as much money as Avengers. Come on) , but it is an interesting insight into TV ad buys.

According to iSpot.tv data, the three summer releases that currently account for the biggest TV spend are all Warner titles. "Mad Max: Fury Road" leads the way with a total TV investment of $41.9 million, followed by "Entourage" ($40.7 million) and "San Andreas" ($39.4 million).

A good chunk of the "Mad Max" TV buy was allocated to NBA games on TNT and ABC and across CBS and the Turner networks' coverage of the NCAA Div. I Men's Basketball Tournament. "Entourage" and "San Andreas" also targeted pro hoops, as teasers for both movies appeared during ABC's presentation of the NBA Finals.

All told, the three Warner flicks accounted for $122 million in network and cable TV spend. Toss in the $27.9 million the studio has spent on the doggie drama "Max" and the studio's four-picture summer TV investment is a hair shy of $150 million.

• Like 1