CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

If we get another 90-100 million ticket seller it's gonna be out of the blue. Established franchises can only shoot so high.

Star Wars was a unique concept at the time. Titanic was that as well as a significant, universally tragic historic epic.

I'm not saying we will (I don't see it happening with the industry today) but if it does we'll all be about as off on it as we were with American Sniper.

• Like 1

The closest we've seen was over 43 million tickets behind Titanic (the equivalent of Furious 7 or American Sniper's entire run by the way).

Phantom Menace most hyped movie of all-time and reached 85m tickets. Question is could it have possibly done better? Some would say yes since there is a lot of bad WOM these days on that movie, but you look at the legs and they were phenomenal...seemed to have strong WOM in 1999.

I have no doubt that if TPM was a great movie it would've flew past 100 m tickets.

• Like 1

The closest we've seen was over 43 million tickets behind Titanic (the equivalent of Furious 7 or American Sniper's entire run by the way).

Phantom Menace most hyped movie of all-time and reached 85m tickets. Question is could it have possibly done better? Some would say yes since there is a lot of bad WOM these days on that movie, but you look at the legs and they were phenomenal...seemed to have strong WOM in 1999.

Didn't Jurassic Park get a bit close to 90m? It sold higher than the Phantom Menace.

Yeah, TPM did have "disappointing" reactions at the time, though the absolute venom against it did not come to a head until after it left theaters. But at the same time, it did do crazy good, just not Titanic crazy good; until Avengers, it was the film I saw the most times in theaters.

Weren't the long legs for TPM in part due to Fox/Lucasfilm locking theaters into playing the film for an extremely long time, rather than the film being voluntarily held over by theaters due to popularity/business like Titanic was?

Edited by TServo2049

I have no doubt that if TPM was a great movie it would've flew past 100 m tickets.

Not sure, TPM had insane repeat business driven by insane fanboys and the movie had great, great legs.

The terrible movie s reputation begun after its bo run and the  holy shit moment : " there s a new Star Wars in theaters ! I can't miss it !" .

NOPE.

YES.

Titanic was a huge hit, but that type of hit wouldn't be possible in today's market. Even Avatar (the closest thing to it) needed a massive 3d and premium share to get close to the adjusted gross.

The market has more movies, more competition than before, and people are using digital media (streaming and pirating) much more than before.

We are also in a franchise market which broadens and limits the audience at the same time. (You'll get a consistent audience as long as you make X-Men films that don't disappoint, but each film in the franchise is limited because only so many people will be interested in the franchise)

It's hard to compare a movie from 2015 to one from 2 decades ago, but you can still admire the fact only one movie has been able to top its unadjusted run in the last 20 years.

^ This.

Couldn't have said it better.

Not sure, TPM had insane repeat business driven by insane fanboys and the movie had great, great legs.

The terrible movie s reputation begun after its bo run and the  holy shit moment : " there s a new Star Wars in theaters ! I can't miss it !" .

But it doesn't make sense that TPM would do the same business regardless of quality. You're looking at a broader audience watching the movie multiple times.

I'm a Star Wars fan and I watched TPM only once. I despised it from day one. But if it were a classic like ESB or ANH, I'm telling everyone to go see it and I'm dragging all me friends and family to see it.

That counts for something generally speaking.

• Like 1

75-80m is like the absolute roof of the highest admissions a movie can do nowadays. We have all kinds of challengers these years and all failed to take it down. We have beloved franchises with insane WOM aka TDK, TA & JW, we have original breakouts with godly WOM aka Avatar. These were bascially tests of the highest level a product in this industry can reach nowadays, and if those failed, it's hard too see how any others could do.

It's still beyond me we cannot get actual admissions numbers.

All about publicity. They really like to run those "#1 movie in America" ads on TV. Also much easier for them to hype dollar gross records due to inflation than focus on admissions records. Dirty truth is attendance is down a lot from 30 years ago.

But it doesn't make sense that TPM would do the same business regardless of quality. You're looking at a broader audience watching the movie multiple times.

I'm a Star Wars fan and I watched TPM only once. I despised it from day one. But if it were a classic like ESB or ANH, I'm telling everyone to go see it and I'm dragging all me friends and family to see it.

That counts for something generally speaking.

Lots of people liked the movie in the beginning, you were just not one of them.