CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Cars 2 is the only Pixar movie I've never seen, and one of only two I didn't see in the theater. (The other is Finding Nemo, because - and this sounds really stupid, because it is - at the time I had a completely irrational hatred of An American Tail and thought Finding Nemo was going to be a similar kind of movie, an overly precious film about a precocious little kid getting separated from his family unit. I loved Pixar, but the trailers somehow made me think it was going to be their jump-the-shark movie. I was 15, of course it doesn't make sense. I saw it on DVD once I heard how good it was from everyone else, and I realized how utterly wrong and fucking stupid I had been, and have been kicking myself ever since.)

Edited by TServo2049

Cars 2 is the only Pixar movie I've never seen, and one of only two I didn't see in the theater. (The other is Finding Nemo, because - and this sounds really stupid, because it is - at the time I had a completely irrational hatred of An American Tail and thought Finding Nemo was going to be a similar kind of movie, an overly precious film about a precocious little kid getting separated from his family unit. I loved Pixar, but the trailers somehow made me think it was going to be their jump-the-shark movie. I was 15, of course it doesn't make sense. I saw it on DVD once I heard how good it was from everyone else, and I realized how utterly wrong and fucking stupid I had been, and have been kicking myself ever since.)

You didn't catch the 3D re-release a few years back?

Was too busy, I think. Also, I didn't go see any of the 3D re-releases anyway. (I saw Jurassic Park 3D, but in 2D.)

Finding Nemo is one of a handful of movies which I didn't see in theaters and will regret not doing so for the rest of my life. (The others would probably be The Iron Giant, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, How to Train Your Dragon, and Inception.)

Edited by TServo2049

Was too busy, I think. Also, I didn't go see any of the 3D re-releases anyway. (I saw Jurassic Park 3D, but in 2D.)

Finding Nemo is one of a handful of movies which I didn't see in theaters and will regret not doing so for the rest of my life. (The others would probably be The Iron Giant, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, How to Train Your Dragon, and Inception.)

Well this will surely help: http://www.rotoscopers.com/2015/07/11/the-iron-giant-to-be-re-released-in-theaters-this-fall/

Edited by goldenstate5

People see fanboyism everywhere even when it's not there. I'm a Pixar fan but no, im not rooting for IO because it's Pixar's, im rooting for it because it's good and it's this year best chance for winning in both quality and box office.

I simply don't want another mediocre movie wins against a good one (like PP2 defeated Mad Max)

Edited by bladels

People see fanboyism everywhere even when it's not there. I'm a Pixar fan but no, im not rooting for IO because it's Pixar's, im rooting for it because it's good and it's this year best chance for winning in both quality and box office.

I simply don't want another mediocre movie wins against a good one (like PP2 defeated Mad Max)

Now I haven't seen Mad Max but I'd bet my wallet and all that's in it that Pitch Perfect 2 is a better movie

I don't post much around here but I don't understand the rooting for Dreamworks or Pixar Or Illumination movies as if they are your cities pro-football teams. It's weird.

My wife and I took our 6 and 2 year old to see Minions last night. The kids laughed multiple times and enjoyed the movie. My wife was bored to death and I went back and forth from mildly entertained to bored. Wasn't very good but by no means terrible. However, it was a kid pleaser, but wasn't as good as DM2 and definitely a far cry from DM. It isn't even in the same stratosphere, in terms of depth and story quality or emotions as Inside Out, but I don't think it's supposed to be. It kinda reminds of Cars2, but funnier. Pixar does a really bad job of stupid, slapstick humor that caters to simpletons and little ones, and I don't intend that as a criticism of movies that do. There is a place for those and am glad they exist. What's funny is that Minions, from my observation, draws roughly the same crowd as Fast and Furious movies, but with little kids in towe. Heavy Latino, Indian and heavily tattooed white folk demographic. Not even sure what that means at all, just a funny observation.

I don't understand wanting Minions to fail because you love Inside Out. No serious person is contending Minions is a better movie and who cares if it makes more money. There is a bigger audience for simple minded stupid humor animation and it would be idiotic and bad business for a studio to ignore that and not give a certain audience what they want.

Likewise, I don't get hating Pixar and throwing out ridiculous comments about how terrible TS3 is or pretending Minions is a much better film because it might make more money.

What gives with all the lack of objectivity and honesty on here?

• Like 6

Here we go again with the comparisons. Whatever floats your boat man. You can either be happy with IO's PHENOMENAL run for an original Pixar animated movie, or you can keep comparing it to other movies that make its run look bad, and also draw the ire of fans of those other movies by repeatedly taking a dump on them.
  • Like 1

Here we go again with the comparisons. Whatever floats your boat man. You can either be happy with IO's PHENOMENAL run for an original Pixar animated movie, or you can keep comparing it to other movies that make its run look bad, and also draw the ire of fans of those other movies by repeatedly taking a dump on them.

I didn't say i'm not happy with IO's run, I'm thrilled but i still want it to beat Minions, does that affect you in anyway? why do you feel so annoy by that.

Edited by bladels

Predictions for IO's ow were 60-65m. So it's 2nd weekend of 52m was closer to the tracking than the real ow. That's how much it over-performed, 1st with the ow and then again with the legs.

Edited by a2k

It's not about winning. The studio makes the same money whether another movie passes that mark or not.

Really, I'd maybe get this notion if it was sitting at #1 for the year and another movie was just about to snatch it's record, but that's not the case.

Who cares if PP2 made more than Mad Max? Where did that comparison come from, even?

Basically you're just making the movies you like look worse by making it into a race. Enjoy yourself, I guess?

• Like 2

It's not about winning. The studio makes the same money whether another movie passes that mark or not.

Really, I'd maybe get this notion if it was sitting at #1 for the year and another movie was just about to snatch it's record, but that's not the case.

Who cares if PP2 made more than Mad Max? Where did that comparison come from, even?

Basically you're just making the movies you like look worse by making it into a race. Enjoy yourself, I guess?

Ugh, my English is not good enough to explain myself. I want good movies to beat mediocre one, you guys care too much about what i want

Here we go again with the comparisons. Whatever floats your boat man. You can either be happy with IO's PHENOMENAL run for an original Pixar animated movie, or you can keep comparing it to other movies that make its run look bad, and also draw the ire of fans of those other movies by repeatedly taking a dump on them. I didn't say i'm not happy with IO's run, I'm thrilled but i still want it to beat Minions, does that affect you in anyway? why do you feel so annoy by that.
You make Pixar fans look bad when you dump on other animated movies and get seriously invested in an honestly quite pointless "competition"
  • Like 4

Ugh, my English is not good enough to explain myself. I want good movies to beat mediocre one, you guys care too much about what i want

But what makes a movie good or bad?  It's a matter of opinion.  IMO, JW is better than almost all films I've seen this year.

• Like 4