CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Lionsgate doesn't want to be seen as solely a company that does horror films, but that doesn't mean they won't go back to them eventually.

they were the ones to say yes when Universal told Rob Zombie no more on not taming down House Of 1,000 Corpses. They're a studio for years that said that Saw was their biggest franchise until The Hunger Games. Edited by Maxmoser3

Inside Out had a pretty harsh theater count drop this weekend thanks to those yellow bastards

> DECLINING
3 1 Inside Out Buena Vista 3,644 -514 -12.4% 4
4 3 Jurassic World Universal 3,441 -296 -7.9% 5
8 4 Ted 2 Universal 2,171 -1,277 -37.0% 3
9 6 Max (2015) Warner Bros. 2,088 -782 -27.2% 3
10 7 Spy Fox 1,457 -930 -39.0% 6
11 8 San Andreas Warner Bros. 756 -916 -54.8% 7
12 9 Me and Earl and the Dying Girl Fox Searchlight 570 -300 -34.5% 5
14 12 Avengers: Age of Ultron Buena Vista 338 -251 -42.6% 11
15 13 Mad Max: Fury Road Warner Bros. 338 -223 -39.8% 9
16 15 Love & Mercy Roadside Attractions 296 -144 -32.7% 6

they were the ones to say yes when Universal told Rob Zombie no more on not taming down House Of 1,000 Corpses. They're a studio for years that said that Saw was their biggest franchise until The Hunger Games.

Someone took over Lionsgate around 2008, 2009 and this is apperantly the person who doesn't like horror movies. They then decided to roll out Disaster Movie....

Edited by Boxofficerules

That's because Lionsgate where embarrassed by the series and horror in general, now they have The Hunger Games to rely on.

They were embarrassed by all the money they made off the series?

They were embarrassed by all the money they made off the series?

I am imagining Lionsgate executives covering their faces with all the money Saw made in shame.
  • Like 1

I think what is happening is Lionsgate got a taste of what being a big 6 studio is like and they want to keep that profile. And maintaining that level of revenue requires blockbusters, which is why they are pouring all their money in big projects (Gods of Egypt, Power Rangers etc). That being said, they were always good at marketing horror movies so they should re-include them in their schedule. 

Why would a movie studio be embarrassed about making horror movies? That makes no sense. I do remember hearing that about paramount when they did the Friday the 13th series but even that makes no sense to me.

Why would a movie studio be embarrassed about making horror movies? That makes no sense. I do remember hearing that about paramount when they did the Friday the 13th series but even that makes no sense to me.

They seem to be going nowhere with the reboot either. But they have a new Paranormal Activity and a Rings reboot this year so I don't see the problem of doing a new Friday the 13th. 

Universal is the one that gives no fucks. They release a lot of horror movies. WB usually does it as well.