grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

why would this approach 1B? Godzilla's gonna demolish it OS a week later, SLOP2 is coming out in its third week, and TA4 is gonna still make money when it opens.

Godzilla made $328 million OS. SLOP did better, making $507 million OS. There's room for Aladdin to make more than both of their sequels which will probably fall a bit.

Same stuff was said about Solo. It's guaranteed 1 billion worldwide because everybody knows who Solo is. "If Rogue One, a film full of unknown characters, could make a billion then why couldn't Solo?'' I think Aladdin will do well overseas but struggle to make 200mil domestic. The Disney death slot is real.

• Like 2

Meh, this will still do more WW than what BatB would've done if it didn't star Emma Watson. Say whatever you want about her singing (and acting) abilities but there was no denying Gen Y nostalgia zombies couldn't resist that character/actress match-up.

Edited by Spidey Freak

21 hours ago, jedijake said:

Dunno-with alleged reshoots taking place with a probable 2 months prior to a teaser, things seem to be pushing a bit. Will they have time to go full-post-production after reshoots or are reshoots part of the post-production process?

Didn't they do reshoots for Infinity War within months of release? Not sure how things work.

One thing's for sure. The marketing for this movie AND for Lion King haven't been the same as it was for Cinderella or BatB which both had teasers 10 months prior. At least Jungle Book had its teaser 7 months before release. Aladdin will no way be ready for that. Dumbo was the one with a teaser WAY before release (9 months).

Re-scheduling may be a good idea if things get rocky. 2020 is so open now and there apparently is no early May release since GOTG3 is on indefinite hold. Maleficent 2 is coming out around Memorial Day 2020 but not so sure how popular that will be. I don't know of ANYTHING else released after March of that year (Mulan). Disney can give Aladdin a wide open release sometime in 2020 and thus take the pressure off of Toy Story 4 and Lion King in 2019. I would not at all be surprised if they move Aladdin at this point. If there's no teaser by December, I think that is what will happen.

Yep. Just as the original films came out in separate years , Aladdin and TLK should spread out. Keep Dumbo where it is.  I thought that was the plan ( Jungle Book 2016, BaTB 2017...). 

We dont know how far along Lion King is with its production. If the FX work needs more time then that film could push to 2020. Good point re: GOTG. There is a vacuum that needs to be filled. I’m certain either TLK or Aladdin will move to fill that 2020 slot. 

Edited by lilmac

2020 looks really weak for Disney....Not sure why they are throwing the kitchen sink all in 2019....Their biggest film in 2020 is Guardians 3 and even that is not even confirmed for that year......I guess a record breaking year is more important to them...

4 hours ago, Hades said:

2020 looks really weak for Disney....Not sure why they are throwing the kitchen sink all in 2019....Their biggest film in 2020 is Guardians 3 and even that is not even confirmed for that year......I guess a record breaking year is more important to them...

Disney's streaming service is scheduled to come out in late 2019/early 2020. They want to hit the trail running with as much new stuff as possible. Of course, none of these titles would be available on any streaming service until a few months after disc release since they have to sell physical discs also.

In addition, Bob Iger was intending to retire in 2019. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it also since he wanted to go out with a bang.

The ONLY movies Disney is confirmed to be working for 2020 are Mulan and Maleficent 2. But remember, Avatar 2 will also be distributed by Buena Vista since by then the Disney/Fox deal will/should be finalized. There is also supposedly a pixar movie about two brother trolls looking to spend one day with their lost father. It is set in suburbs with dumpster diving unicorns or something. That's all I know. Oh, yeah, and the live action Lady & The Tramp will probably come out that fall. And SUPPOSEDLY there is a live-action Pinocchio being made by the makers of Paddington. No word on release or current progress though.

Also, the comparison to Solo isn't a fair one. Disney films have a much broader appeal than a SW spin off. Solo appealed to the die-hard SW fan. Rogue One had the privilege of following the biggest film of all time but Solo was definitely niche. Kids and families are almost immune to that effect. What will hurt Aladdin, if it comes down to it, is poor marketing. As I said, they started marketing Cinderella and BatB 9-10 months prior to release. They should have pumped up Will Smith as the Genie during the summer at least and showed some costume designs. I was never expecting a trailer or teaser this early but an announcement teaser might have been a good idea. Maybe not even as much as they showed in June for Dumbo, but something like a lantern or setting. There are STILL a lot of people who don't know this film is coming out. And how would they?

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jedijake said:

There are STILL a lot of people who don't know this film is coming out. And how would they? 

But do they know Mary Poppins is coming out in three months:Gaga:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But do they know Mary Poppins is coming out in three months:Gaga:

Where did you find this? Looks cool. I want to see more.

Truthfully, I don't think that Disney is expecting Poppins2 to be a HUGE success. MAYBE $200 million domestic max. Poppins is a VERY old property and appealed to people who are now quite old themselves. There's never been anything to keep it modern, especially for kids. Things like Aladdin stay current because of merchandise (Jasmine is grouped with all other princesses) and Disney meet and greets (my daughter met Jasmine twice at Disney World along with others). Poppins may actually be on the level of Solo. Appeals to the older generation but not as much as the newer.

Plus let's not forget the international appeal for Aladdin. As long as Disney can somehow reduce the PC "backlash" about the use of actors, it will be fine.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jedijake said:

What will hurt Aladdin, if it comes down to it, is poor marketing. As I said, they started marketing Cinderella and BatB 9-10 months prior to release. They should have pumped up Will Smith as the Genie during the summer at least and showed some costume designs. I was never expecting a trailer or teaser this early but an announcement teaser might have been a good idea. Maybe not even as much as they showed in June for Dumbo, but something like a lantern or setting. There are STILL a lot of people who don't know this film is coming out. And how would they?

A teaser with The Nutcracker and a trailer with Mary Poppins would do for the marketing imo. 

18 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Where did you find this? Looks cool. I want to see more.

It is just Google Trends like it says at the bottom. And it is for the names in general, not just the upcoming movies (but right before the release of a blockbuster, that should become the majority of the searches).

15 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

A teaser with The Nutcracker and a trailer with Mary Poppins would do for the marketing imo. 

Teaser for Nutcracker would be nice. Probably not until Poppins though since they have to finish the reshoots and edit the teaser.

Full trailer in time for Dumbo. That's two months before release. 

22 hours ago, Hades said:

agreed that they should move one of 2019's live action movies to 2020... my money was that it should be Aladdin, but maybe that's why I don't work at Disney

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

So who is Disney gonna get to sing the new cover version of 'A Whole New World'? Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra? Zayn Malik and autotuned Gigi Hadid? The possibilities are limitless.

Yeah, something like that. At least it surely will be as bland and dull as the Grande/Legend "Beauty and the Beast" with nothing of the original magic left. God, that BATB is awful. Only the horrible Jordin Sparks version for the 2010 Blu Ray release of the animated classic is worse.

Instead of casting someone with class (Leona Lewis for Dion's part for example) they went with Grande who is a decent singer overall but can not even touch a Dion.

The new ALADDIN songs will be great though. I am sure about that. The songwriter duo behind them is awesome and Disney also didn't disappoint with BATB and Josh Groban/Celine Dion. I just hope they get good singers for them. 

• Like 1