grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

can't wait for both of these movies to make half a billion each in the US and spawn a bunch of "sigh i guess that proves it people only want superheroes". posts.

Almost as bad as "I can't believe Endgame only made $150m in its sophomore weekend!"

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Almost as bad as "I can't believe Endgame only made $150m in its sophomore weekend!"

Or as bad as being told Bumblebee and Spider Verse weren’t profitable because they didn’t reach the same heights as their predecessors.

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Best are still the ones who claim only spectacle movies make money in theaters despite plenty of evidence to the contrary lol.

• Astonished 1

I wonder how these types depressed over an Aladdin remake possibly doing 200m instead of 250m or whatever would feel if they were ever invested in the box office fate of movies that weren't brand-extending products of the biggest media company in the world. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I wonder how these types depressed over an Aladdin remake possibly doing 200m instead of 250m or whatever would feel if they were ever invested in the box office fate of movies that weren't brand-extending products of the biggest media company in the world. 

High Life should be making $200m dom tbh. In a perfect world...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, jedijake said:

People don't target the Memorial Day weekend just to boycott films that, if released on other dates would miraculously succeed. That's asinine. It's just by chance that some films fail on Memorial Day.

To me, Aladdin's eminent failure is quite possibly the most depressing box office event of the year.What it does is shown that if it isn't Marvel, or superheroes at all, then a movie is destined to fail this year. Or at least make well under expectations. In the case of Disney, ALL live actions that are not SW or Marvel have failed miserably since BatB. Looks like THAT is more of a curse than Memorial Day ever was. 

TLJ was a success but performed WELL under expectations and had a horrific multiplier for a holiday movie. That one should have easily passed $700 million. Look at how EG is following up the well liked IW and tell me that TLJ did not underperform.

Then we have Wrinkle in Time, Solo, Christopher Robbins, Nutcracker, Mary Poppins Returns, Dumbo, and now Aladdin. I guess we can throw Pete's Dragon in there. And Alice in Wonderland 2. Oh and let's not forget Pirates of the Crapibbean 5. That is TEN live action films, remakes or not, that have failed in the past 3 years. 

Lion King will probably break that curse, but then what? Artemis Fowl, Maleficent 2, rinse and repeat. Overall, non-Marvel and non-SW films have been mostly flops. Successes have been the exception. And we wonder why Iger is emphasizing Disney Plus. I don't blame them. It's a good way to keep making films but staying out of the public's eye and away from the scrutiny.

Btw, I'd say in 2018 there was more of a "movies with human beings" saturation. Is that why all of those failures took place? I mean-FOUR non-Marvel movies with human beings in ONE YEAR!!!

And you never hear anyone saying "there's a saturation of superhero movies", do you?

How are you defining "failure"?

Christopher Robin did well, as did Mary Poppins Returns. No, MPR was not the goliath that some of us predicted, but it still did well enough. Pirates 5 made $800 million by the way.

what do you mean TLJ "should have" done 700M? People did not enjoy the film. Why "should" it make more money than it did? Why should any film for that matter? 620M or whatever it was is still well above prequels.

and yes, I hear "saturation of superhero movies" every day on this forum.

Honestly, i want Aladdin to cross $ 200M DOM, but i don’t really care if it finish with $ 175-185M like BOP predict (and i think they lowered their numbers more because of the overestimation they did with MPR / Dumbo than anything else, after all Aladdin presales are really promising).

The point here is OS... i mean even Dumbo will finish with + $ 230M. Aladdin could easily double that or even a little more.

If this makes +500M OS and around $ 700M WW, it will be fine, not even close to a failure. It’s like Pirates 5, despite missing the $ 200M DOM, the movie is a big success.

Saying that, i still think it will cross the $ 200M milestone, even if barely.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

where the fuck is A WHOLE NEW WORLD

I don’t know if Disney will release it despite it being a very great idea to boost awareness. 

I do think they may do a cover if you’re lucky next Sunday (as they did the Grande/Legend Beauty and The Beast song 2 weeks before OW).

What are you predicting for Aladdin btw?

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Don’t care for Swift but having her sing the single for this movie will help this movie massively 

He's joking. Zayn Malik is apparently doing the cover for this song because he was spotted on set for the music video, not sure who his co-singer will be though.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Zayn Malik is apparently doing the cover for this song because he was spotted on set for the music video, not sure who his co-singer will be though

well, the last time Zayn did a duet for a movie soundtrack, he did it with Taylor Swift.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1