grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Box Office Pro now has Aladdin at $66 million OW and $180 million domestic.

From bad to worse. This is getting really really bad. Marketing has been crazy. People are warming up to it.  Are we looking at Poppins Returns numbers? And wasn't Dumbo at or close to these numbers just before it came out and was found DOA?

I can't even.........this is nuts!

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Was the tracking for the four day or the OW?

4 day

The studio's live-action remake of Aladdin is on course for an $80 million-plus debut over the long Memorial Day weekend, according to those with access to early tracking surveys.

Edited by TMP
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jedijake said:

From bad to worse. This is getting really really bad. Marketing has been crazy. People are warming up to it.  Are we looking at Poppins Returns numbers? And wasn't Dumbo at or close to these numbers just before it came out and was found DOA?

Warming up to it still usually isn't enough to actually translate to a ticket purchase for a family.  Right now, I think the hardcore Disney fans are in, and those who have them will bring their families.  But, it's still a question of whether this will translate out to the broader "Disney positive, but not Disney fanatic" base and the even broader GA base, or be a victim of MP2's and Dumbo's lack of great film-making (it may not be fair, but people do lump film types together...and this movie could suffer for it on OW) and just earlier negative impressions of and press for the film (Solo never recovered from its 1st impression, even though it turned out to be a decent film).  

The box office will become the victim of its own design. When 2020 comes around and we have 4 "okay" sized films and only TWO big films (WW1984 and Avatar 2 IF the latter is even ready then) people will be saying "hey remember a year ago when there were a lot of movies out?".

• Like 4

If the industry tracking was $80M for the four day then I guess BOP adjustment makes sense. 

I dont agree with either as id have it for $80M 3-day (although some had it $100M 4-day which would fit in my 3 day range) but I’m not exactly the best person to track a movie like this....

Edited by Nova

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

The box office will become the victim of its own design. When 2020 comes around and we have 4 "okay" sized films and only TWO big films (WW1984 and Avatar 2 IF the latter is even ready then) people will be saying "hey remember a year ago when there were a lot of movies out?".

Black Widow and Eternals should be big, especially the former. Also whatever Pixar has out that year.

24 minutes ago, jedijake said:

People are just saving their money for the Category 5 hurricane known as The Lion King. 

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Black Widow and Eternals should be big, especially the former. Also whatever Pixar has out that year.

Nah, I think Widow is doing Ant Man to Ant Man 2 numbers.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*reads last few pages*

Did I just wander into the Pika Pika thread by mistake?  @Brainbug, please tell me that the KotM thread isn't as... anxious as these two. 

You can check yourself we're calm. :) thebopfreakouthappenedlikeamonthago

• Thanks 1

Black Widow and Eternals aren't coming out in 2020. So that's not a point.

Lion King? Yeah, it has been predicted to be a hit BUT there have been concerns from viewers. Some have even said they prefer what they saw in Aladdin. Lion King will be much bigger BUT with the constant failure after failure in the live action department after BatB, I wonder how much more than that TLK will make. I mean, one cannot assume that a $600 million movie will surface after 7 disastrous live actions in the past couple of years, two of which are classic animateds and one of those being one of the most popular of all time.

Little Mermaid may go straight to Disney +.

Just now, jedijake said:

Black Widow and Eternals aren't coming out in 2020. So that's not a point.

Lion King? Yeah, it has been predicted to be a hit BUT there have been concerns from viewers. Some have even said they prefer what they saw in Aladdin. Lion King will be much bigger BUT with the constant failure after failure in the live action department after BatB, I wonder how much more than that TLK will make. I mean, one cannot assume that a $600 million movie will surface after 7 disastrous live actions in the past couple of years, two of which are classic animateds and one of those being one of the most popular of all time.

Little Mermaid may go straight to Disney +.

tenor.gif?itemid=11519307