WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

True point.

I don't think Edgar Wright delviering an amazing movie would've really changed the box office performance. I say that as a Wright fanboy.

Well, legs would probably be better thanks to the "amazing" part. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

Let start by the fact I have watched all 7 movies.

My English isn't very good (it's my 3rd language) nor I have the patient to explain why 7 FF movies are the same so I rather let you explain to me why they're different.

They're all feel the same to me except maybe for the first one: racing - some bad guys show up - use the usual tricks but fail to defeat the bad guys - come up with different plan which include racing - racing - family, friendship - end of story.

That's being a bit reductive for plot analysis. All of the FF films have many similar elements and themes, but that's to be expected because it's a franchise. You don't want each film to stray too much from each other, even if they have been fairly transformative about the types of films they are over the course of the series.

But even with that said, the "something different" as it pertains to movies as a whole isn't about plot. It's about the two things that FF films do that almost no other major blockbuster franchises are doing.

First, the series is not fantastical. It's not realistic, at this point, but it definitely has a sense of being grounded in the real world. There's no magic or super science involved. The only other franchises which can claim the same are those of the super-spy genre. And the stakes are really not world-threatening.

Second, the series is really diverse. It's a huge counterpoint to every other franchise which is headlined by white guys.

These two factors make FF feel unlike anything else out there.

• Like 2

Well with decent legs (from what I'm aware people at least LIKE the movie), it won't be a flop at all but aside from Infinity War, I don't think we'll be seeing any more of the Pyms anytime soon. Dang.

At least there is that sexy IO number, 300 mil, baby!

...I don't think I have to say anything about Minions' number, it speaks for itself.

• Like 1

ant-man was cool , the only real problem is that another movie no one saw coming stole its thunder , 

how do expect people to be wowed by this 

ant_man_66471.jpg

after being blown away by this 

Screen-Shot-2015-02-11-at-11.38.31-AM-63 

still nothing to say regarding their casting of male leads they've been  on point ever since my hubby in chief RDJ

i dream of the day chris pratt and RDJ share a scene, the screen might melt from so much combined hotness  :wub:  :lol:

• Like 3

Well with decent legs (from what I'm aware people at least LIKE the movie), it won't be a flop at all but aside from Infinity War, I don't think we'll be seeing any more of the Pyms anytime soon. Dang.

At least there is that sexy IO number, 300 mil, baby!

...I don't think I have to say anything about Minions' number, it speaks for itself.

INFINITY WAR?

It's simple: There's room for more than 1 movie, especially a movie like JW that most of the GA probably saw 2 times with the internet seeing it the most.. You can only watch a movie so many times before you get burned..

I don't think many people feel they were burnt by Jurassic world. I think people are starting to feel like they're getting burned by Marvel. Its the same stuff over and over again some super hero has to save the world from some super bad villain.

• Like 2

Getting tired of the same plot over and over again is not hating on Marvel.

But, but you continue to love the same old plot over and over again with Friday the 13th and the unimaginative time travel schlock of the Terminator saga. 

Pot...kettle.

• Like 2

Isn't it rumored that

if Ant Man 2 wasn't made, Evangeline Lily would at least appear in one of the IW parts as Wasp?

That's the rumour, but I doubt they do that. It would be an unnecessary expense for someone who is only going to take away screen time from other characters. If there's no Ant-Man 2, then there's no reason to do that.

Edited by Caesar
  • Like 1

I think that's the rumour, but I doubt they do that. It would be an unnecessary expense for someone who is only going to take away screen time from other characters. If there's no Ant-Man 2, then there's no reason to do that.

Yes, because Captain America Civil War is just so streamlined with their character roster haha

• Like 1

Isn't it rumored that

if Ant Man 2 wasn't made, Evangeline Lily would at least appear in one of the IW parts as Wasp?

I think they definitely set that up with the mid-credits scene. I'd be surprised if we don't see her in that role at some point in the future, even if Ant-man 2 never happens (which honestly, I doubt it will).

Edited by JennaJ

That's being a bit reductive for plot analysis. All of the FF films have many similar elements and themes, but that's to be expected because it's a franchise. You don't want each film to stray too much from each other, even if they have been fairly transformative about the types of films they are over the course of the series.

But even with that said, the "something different" as it pertains to movies as a whole isn't about plot. It's about the two things that FF films do that almost no other major blockbuster franchises are doing.

First, the series is not fantastical. It's not realistic, at this point, but it definitely has a sense of being grounded in the real world. There's no magic or super science involved. The only other franchises which can claim the same are those of the super-spy genre. And the stakes are really not world-threatening.

Second, the series is really diverse. It's a huge counterpoint to every other franchise which is headlined by white guys.

These two factors make FF feel unlike anything else out there.

Your point sounds like every television show on this planet. I can call Dom a superhuman after being hit in the head with a wrench and walk a way un harmed ( no, that's not possible ).

And FF is headlined by white guys too.

And other franchise has characters from other race, they just don't make 1 charater for 1 race like FF.

Edited by bladels
  • Like 1

Funny enough, I found JW to be ok. It wasn't at all great IMHO. I'm surprised people loved it so much but to each their own.

I completely loathe the Fast and Furious movies. My wife and I have pretty much agreed to never see one in the theaters ever again. All the FF movies are definitely more similar in design and tone than most franchises. A good chunk of people actually mix up the last few movies because they've been pretty darn similar. But I don't hate the FF movies because they are similar, I hate them because they are terribly unrealistic (I've been involved in an head on collision accident some years ago and I dislocated my shoulder, tangled my intestines and my ruptured my bladder., so everything I see in most of the FF I find very grating).

I'm a huge comic fan but superhero movies do generally follow a laid down plot. It's generally a hero trying to stop some insane villain from destroying a city, the world or the universe. The exceptions to this are Spider-man (Green Goblin was just being a dick to Parker), Iron Man, Daredevil (oddly enough), The Dark Knight and now Ant-man.

That being said, because certain kinds of movies follow laid down structures doesn't mean they are bad. Superhero movies are what they are and I think the general audience know what to expect when they see them. It's what film makers can do with this structure that matters. For all the hype the Dark Knight receives, it's a pretty basic story, Joker shows up, hurts Batman bad emotionally, Joker tries to kill a lot of people and Batman somehow stops him. But within this structure Nolan somehow made a movie that works not just as a superhero movie but also as a crime drama.

I think the general audience know what to expect from Marvel's movies (super heroics with lots of humor) and they watch them because of that and not despite it. Same with the aforementioned FF movies and most other franchises.

• Like 1

I don't think many people feel they were burnt by Jurassic world. I think people are starting to feel like they're getting burned by Marvel. Its the same stuff over and over again some super hero has to save the world from some super bad villain.

That's also been the plot of just about every superhero Comic Book since the 1940s, and companies have managed to keep producing thousands (millions?) of those. Same for James Bond flicks, or pretty much any other action movie. Good guy has to stop bad guy has been around since at least Beowulf.

I think Ant-Man did enough to change up the formula to keep it fresh - most critics agree. You don't need to reinvent the wheel: just make a good movie. Marvel continues to do that, at least.

• Like 2

But, but you continue to love theto like what you like but it doesn't mean that people aren't going to get jaded we're bored by certain movies that have the same plot over and over again. Some people like the marble stuff some people like Friday the 13th. same old plot over and over again with Friday the 13th and the unimaginative time travel schlock of the Terminator saga. 

Pot...kettle.

How is this hypocrisy? I like what i like. I dont care what others think of my choices. Youre free to like what you like. Some people like the redundancy of marble some people like Friday the 13th.

• Like 1