WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

Well... That's a good reason for me to never watch it

I'd highly recommend JonTron and Nostalgia Critic's reviews of Foodfight. They're hilarious.

But I definitely don't think Cars 2 is as bad as some are making it out to be. 

Animated films I'd rank below Cars 2:

Shrek 3 and 4

Happy Feet 1 and 2

Foodfight

Open Season 

Home on the Range

Chicken Little

Doogal

Clifford's Big Movie 

Care Bears Movie 2

Pokemon 2000 

all of the DTV Disney sequels 

Piglet's Big Movie 

Pooh's Hefflalump Movie 

Pocahontas 

Delgo 

Hoodwinked 2

Happily N'ever After

Brave 

Cars 2 is bad, but definitely not among the absolute worst films I've ever seen. I'd give it a C/C+. Nothing will ever beat the sheer disappointment I felt during Shrek the Third or sheer boredom I felt in Happy Feet. 

Edited by mahnamahna

I'm not usually one to defend Avatar or Titanic, but their scripts are much tighter than JW's. Cameron's very good at the meat and potatoes of storytelling. And hell, the last third of Titanic wipes the floor with any of JW's action.

The screenplay was definitely not Avatar's strength. 'Unobtanium'  :P

I do agree on Titanic, but Avatar definitely wasn't tight. Otherwise, it would have been 45 minutes shorter. 

1. TDK
  2. The Avengers
  3. Titanic
  4. Jurassic World
  5. Avatar 

You should watch Sense8. It's really good!

This post reminds me of those people saying that Agents of Shield gets better with the second season, when in reality it's all the same shit.
  • Like 1

This thread is such a good one, no ifs ands or buts. The last 20 posts are incredible and the rest of the thread is so much fun that by the time you read this you are ready to die. #iamready

My already iconic post tbh!

• Like 1

Jurassic world looked pretty average/bad which is why baffles me how some people could really dislike it. Did everyone go in with stupidly high expectations?

I think it's more about how successful it is. Some people confuse box office success with some sort of merit system and think a movie that isn't their favorite (even if it's just average and not THE WORST EVER) does not deserve that success.

That plus, some people just hate on whatever's really popular, just because they get sick of seeing it all the time.

Besides - it's hardly "everyone", just a few vocal people. The movie has a lot more As and Bs in the poll here than low grades - it's just that those who dislike it make a point of constantly bringing it up.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

Just for the record, consider this:

First of all, I liked IO way more than Minions.

But look at it this way. Minions is going to make a minimum of about 200 million more than IO WW.

The budget was about half of IO

And yet people are disparaging Minions for some reason. The box office doesn't lie. In places like Australia, Argentina and Mexico it is doing huge business. So hate on it all you want, but the DM franchise is a Titan. And they keep their budgets low so their profit is much higher than a lot of other animated films.

Congrats to Universal and Illumination for a job well done.

Agree, amazing tally for Minions but the comparison isn't fair. It's a prequel to a nearly 1 billion hit vs an original piece, M was always gonna win OS. IO beating it domestically is a huge achievement for Pixar. Edited by Alfredstellar
  • Like 1

I think it's more about how successful it is. Some people confuse box office success with some sort of merit system and think a movie that isn't their favorite (even if it's just average and not THE WORST EVER) does not deserve that success.

That plus, some people just hate on whatever's really popular, just because they get sick of seeing it all the time.

Well If a film is big enough to attract that many people to watch it and still have a good multiplier then it deserves its gross. The GA had a lot of fun with JW so of course its deserving.

• Like 2

The screenplay was definitely not Avatar's strength. 'Unobtanium'  :P

I do agree on Titanic, but Avatar definitely wasn't tight. Otherwise, it would have been 45 minutes shorter. 

Despite the film's length, the Hero Journey in Avatar is written solidly enough. Jake whatever-his-name-is may not be a particularly compelling character but Cameron writes him in such a way that we know he gets how the three act structure for these things is supposed to work.

JW, on the hand, had some laughably superficial 'growth' for BDH's character (who was a 'good' person to start with so what's the difference) and none at all for Pratt, who began the film as Generic Badass Type 1A and finished the film as that. Granted, growth isn't the be-all-end-all for good characterisation - look at Indiana Jones - but at least make them good characters in the first place.

Again, I don't particularly mind JW making all this money. Perhaps my love for the first film means that even though I think JW is light years behind it, at least a few kids are enjoying the franchise they way I did all those years ago.

• Like 1

Despite the film's length, the Hero Journey in Avatar is written solidly enough. Jake whatever-his-name-is may not be a particularly compelling character but Cameron writes him in such a way that we know he gets how the three act structure for these things is supposed to work.

JW, on the hand, had some laughably superficial 'growth' for BDH's character (who was a 'good' person to start with so what's the difference) and none at all for Pratt, who began the film as Generic Badass Type 1A and finished the film as that. Granted, growth isn't the be-all-end-all for good characterisation - look at Indiana Jones - but at least make them good characters in the first place.

Again, I don't particularly mind JW making all this money. Perhaps my love for the first film means that even though I think JW is light years behind it, at least a few kids are enjoying the franchise they way I did all those years ago.

Personally I don't think Avatar holds up well unless you see it in a theater in 3D. I didn't - I saw it after it was released on DVD and frankly couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. it doesn't hold my interest in home viewing very well.

JW is a fun summer movie - not one I would have expected to make as much as it has, but that is fine, it clearly has caught the GA's imagination. I would give it a 7/10. The 2 things that hold it back for me and why one viewing in the theater was enough for me was first, the script is pretty much a pale imitation of the original. Second, there is simply 0 chemistry between BDH and CP. There wasn't a single minute in the movie where I felt like they liked each other, hated each other, or had feelings about each other one way or the other. For whatever reason, they simply didn't work for me at all in their personal interactions. I am still glad I saw it in the theaters though.

I'll also add that the success of JW has me more bullish on how high SW7 will go because in my mind there are alot of similarities to them (both set a generation in the future, both franchises that have been dormant on the big screen for a decade or more, both revisiting well loved old characters and/or locations).

That's true. Characters growth means nothing if that character isn't that interesting to start with. And that's why Avatar never clicked with me, Jake was such a boring character that following his journey in Avatar was like watching paint dry in an art gallery.

Titatic>TA>JW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Avatar.

Edited by KATCH 22