WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

Wow, what a low opening for Ant-Man.  People just weren't really interested, and I'm guessing it simply wasn't as fresh and amazing as Guardians.

Will this even break $150M anymore?

I think it will unless MI5 or Pixels break out and chop it's legs off.

WOM seems to be good (not amazing, but good) and that may be enough to grab some people who were not convinced by the trailers.

GOTG was released in a completely different climate. Summer 2014 was completely devoid of any hits. It was released at just THE right time. Maybe Marvel should rethink all those July and November release dates it has in the next few years and consider a April or January release for some of these films.

It was not completely devoid of hits. Saying that is reductive and groups all films in either huge hit or failure buckets, when in reality there's a range. Several films did very well last summer.

Collectively, the summer was poor, but it produced a pretty good number of moderate hits, even if there were no prior out-and-out blockbusters to GotG. Maleficent, DoFP, DotPotA, Godzilla, 22 Jump Street, Lucy, The Fault in Our Stars. Those were all hits.

Yeah but I don't really watch all movies when they get released in cinemas. Most of the time I watch them at home years after they get released.

So given there have been no home video releases for the MCU since Guardians, you are saying it's the most fun Marvel movie you've seen since the last Marvel movie you watched? :lol:

• Like 1

Not hard. There was only one movie between them :lol:

Lol like I said, the movie I've seen. Gotg nor Age of Ultron is not the last marvel movie I've seen before Ant-man. And I don't necessarily watch all marvel movies in the cinemas either.

It was not completely devoid of hits. Saying that is reductive and groups all films in either huge hit or failure buckets, when in reality there's a range. Several films did very well last summer.

Collectively, the summer was poor, but it produced a pretty good number of moderate hits, even if there were no prior out-and-out blockbusters to GotG. Maleficent, DoFP, DotPotA, Godzilla, 22 Jump Street, Lucy, The Fault in Our Stars. Those were all hits.

It's mainly the July of last year that was the culprit. Summer was comparing decently enough to prior years, but then July had one 200M grosser released in the entire month.

So given there have been no home video releases for the MCU since Guardians, you are saying it's the most fun Marvel movie you've seen since the last Marvel movie you watched? :lol:

Yes. You do know there are a lot of other marvel movies available on home video right? And I can buy and watch them anytime or stream them too. I saw Thor's sequel after Age of Ultron and saw TASpiderman 2 after Gotg last year.

Lol like I said, the movie I've seen. Gotg nor Age of Ultron is not the last marvel movie I've seen before Ant-man. And I don't necessarily watch all marvel movies in the cinemas either.

What Marvel films did you see in between GOTG and Ant-Man?

Not a Marvel Studios movie. Not produced by Marvel. It's a movie that features Marvel characters and produced by Sony.

Still features a marvel character and it does show the marvel logo so I consider it a marvel movie(or more specifically a movie about a marvel character) despite not being made by marvel studios. Anyway that's beside the point.

Edited by kowan
  • Like 1

Still features a marvel character and it does show the marvel logo so I consider it a marvel movie(or more specificallyy a movie about a marvel character) despite not being made by marvel studios. Anyway that's beside the point.

You and I have a different definition of a Marvel movie, that's all. :)

It's mainly the July of last year that was the culprit. Summer was comparing decently enough to prior years, but then July had one 200M grosser released in the entire month.

Yeah, the lack of a huge breakout did hamper it. But there were seven films overall that crossed 200m, which is tied for most of any summer in the past decade. This year we may only get four.

2014 was a year of mid-range hits. 2015 is a year of feast or famine.

Recent summers and 200m grossers:

2014: 7

2013: 7

2012: 6

2011: 4

2010: 6

2009: 5

2008: 6

2007: 7

2006: 5

2005: 5

You and I have a different definition of a Marvel movie, that's all. :)

Well that's not important anyway. I'm just saying I enjoyed Ant-man more than any of the movies I mentioned(that has anything to do with marvel) except Gotg.

Heading out to see Trainwreck....some quick thoughts on the day here and such

Ant-Man's opening isn't really that far off from Cap and Thor. And it will probably outgross both of them or at least Captain domestically. So this opening isn't really a disappointment at all. In fact, it's pretty expected. In fact Guru predicted a 57 million dollar opening based on a litany of factors, but he obviously used Cap and Thor as a barometer.

Yep, I was wrong about Minions dropping less than 50%. Keyser and Gopher and all of the other brainiacs, I bow to you. Minions obviously had a big rush factor to it which contributed to the drop. Sure it fell hard this weekend but it will recover and still have a 3X. Plus the budget is about half of what other animated films are so it's going to be a big winner for Universal. A billion dollars is locked at this point. So hate it (I didn't like the movie at all just for the record) but the wom is not terrible and profit wise it's going to be much bigger than IO.

IO falls 34% and is probably going to end at around 350. I liked this movie a lot so I'm rooting for it to do well. Internationally, I'm not sure where it has left to open but it's already close to 500 mill so it looks like it will make at least 700 mill. If it does well in China, much more.

JW will hit 1.6 bill. In the immortal words of Russel K from Independence Day.... UP YOURRRRRRS TELE!!!

Off to see the movie.

A-M is a Phase 1 movie in a Phase 2 world.  All things considered, it's OW is on par with what expectations should have been. 

Just got back from Ant-MAn. It was packed and the audience loved it. All the jokes hit and there were multiple applauses. I think this will have very strong legs and play almost like an animated film since the kids seemed to love it.

• Like 3

A-M is a Phase 1 movie in a Phase 2 world.  All things considered, it's OW is on par with what expectations should have been. 

I agree. Ant-Man OW sub 60mil is a bit disappointing. Still it'll have great legs that will boost its WW.