WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

Just got back from Ant-MAn. It was packed and the audience loved it. All the jokes hit and there were multiple applauses. I think this will have very strong legs and play almost like an animated film since the kids seemed to love it.

That was my experience. The audience cheered when it ended and they *loved* the post-credit scenes.

• Like 1

I saw it on Friday afternoon at an IMAX theater and I knew it wasn't going to be a mega smash because there were only 20 people there. I compared that to JW, which was jammed, and AOU, which I saw in IMAX at a 9 am Tuesday morning show right after opening weekend, and that was pretty full. But I thought Ant Man was a lot of fun, and hope WOM gives it good legs, and that it does well when it comes out on Blu-ray.

Heading out to see Trainwreck....some quick thoughts on the day here and such

Ant-Man's opening isn't really that far off from Cap and Thor. And it will probably outgross both of them or at least Captain domestically. So this opening isn't really a disappointment at all. In fact, it's pretty expected. In fact Guru predicted a 57 million dollar opening based on a litany of factors, but he obviously used Cap and Thor as a barometer.

Yep, I was wrong about Minions dropping less than 50%. Keyser and Gopher and all of the other brainiacs, I bow to you. Minions obviously had a big rush factor to it which contributed to the drop. Sure it fell hard this weekend but it will recover and still have a 3X. Plus the budget is about half of what other animated films are so it's going to be a big winner for Universal. A billion dollars is locked at this point. So hate it (I didn't like the movie at all just for the record) but the wom is not terrible and profit wise it's going to be much bigger than IO.

IO falls 34% and is probably going to end at around 350. I liked this movie a lot so I'm rooting for it to do well. Internationally, I'm not sure where it has left to open but it's already close to 500 mill so it looks like it will make at least 700 mill. If it does well in China, much more.

JW will hit 1.6 bill. In the immortal words of Russel K from Independence Day.... UP YOURRRRRRS TELE!!!

Off to see the movie.

poor Tele, we still love ya brother....

Love how AM is doing lower end for all predictions and the Marvel fans still call it good. It's decent start, not bad, not good. 175m for a SH film is pretty poor based on its genre. Considering the subject material it's still a respectable number for this film but let's not talk about a Marvel success story here.

Edited by Alfredstellar

I don't use excuses. 175m would be ok for SS but certainly not great. It will hit 200m though. BvS does that number on its OW.

A movie called Suicide Squad, as in suicide, as in killing yourself. People on the internet may think that's a good title, but the GA will think that's a sick and disturbing title and I'll agree with them. It does Watchmen numbers at best.

Edited by Caesar

175k for SS would be meh considering the buzz plus it has joker,harley and WILL. Plus batman cameo which is being marketed. Also its more of an ensemble than solo flick.

Similar DC flicks would be WW, Aquaman etc. BO for those depend heavily on BvS reception.

Edited by keysersoze123