WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

LOL, I remember he came into the JW thread and started trashing it and since he was one of the first people to see it on this board, everyone gave his review so much credit... people started talking about the movie failing and Universal losing money on it based on Gopher's review.

Should be funny to read now that we know how it turned out.

Unless he said it would perform poorly (did he? I can't remember) his opinion of the actual movie doesn't become retroavtively wrong just because it made a shitload of money.

• Like 1

Like seriously... Why is the forum going to war with itself.

No actual numbers.. people have to find something to do while waiting, I guess..

Unless he said it would perform poorly (did he? I can't remember) his opinion of the actual movie doesn't become retroavtively wrong just because it made a shitload of money.

People thought JW wasn't getting good WOM hence it wouldn't pass TA even though it broke the OW record. I don't know if he started it but I actually believed it for a while.

I think she was referring mainly to the forum's assumption that the movie would be a dud (both quality and box office) based on Gopher's comments, though I think the embargo played into people's suspicion even more than Gopher's comments.

• Like 1

I think she was referring mainly to the forum's assumption that the movie would be a dud (both quality and box office) based on Gopher's comments, though I think the embargo played into people's suspicion even more than Gopher's comments.

No actual numbers.. people have to find something to do while waiting, I guess..

People thought JW wasn't getting good WOM hence it wouldn't pass TA even though it broke the OW record. I don't know if he started it but I actually believed it for a while.

Actual critics didn't help with that either, of course. It was in the 60s on RT for ages.

I didn't say his opinion on the movie was wrong. It can't be wrong (or right), it's an opinion.

I don't remember if he said the movie would perform poorly or not, I'd need to go back an reread that discussion.

What I think was funny was how quickly a group of people took an early review and treated it as if it was substantial and represented something more encompassing.

That's always the risk with early word of mouth - there's a tendency to give it too much credit because there's not much else to go on yet. In this case, it was decidedly much more negative than the majority opinion here and elsewhere.

And it finished at 71. So the point stands.

No it doesn't. It wasn't in the 60s for ages so that's factually wrong.  :)

If you suggest 71 on RT proves that critics hated the movie... um no. It proves 71% of the critics gave it a positive score by RT's definition.

It was basically the RT score (and how positive it was compared to the doom and gloom anticipation) that changed the discussion of JW and turned it more positive. It was very quickly after the embargo lifted, so actual reviews did the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

I'm guilty of this all the time, but it's important to remember: 99% of the time, we don't know if a script is good or not, we just know whether the movie is good or not.

I don't know whether the JW script is good or okay or crap because I haven't read it. There can be a world of difference between what is written and what ends up on screen; this is especially true when you don't have a writer/director with a lot of clout who's shepherding the story through the whole process. My sense -- and I don't know whether this is true or not -- is that the JW movie is pieces of many drafts combined together. In and of themselves, those drafts might be fine... even excellent. Even the final shooting script might be fine. All I know is that the result, on screen, is a terrible mess, filled with narrative dead-ends, setups that go nowhere, reveals and character moments that weren't set up, a confused tone, action sequences without much cohesion or structure, and characters that are flat at best and incomprehensible at worst.

But that's the movie... not the script.

• Like 12

I'm guilty of this all the time, but it's important to remember: 99% of the time, we don't know if a script is good or not, we just know whether the movie is good or not.

I don't know whether the JW script is good or okay or crap because I haven't read it. There can be a world of difference between what is written and what ends up on screen; this is especially true when you don't have a writer/director with a lot of clout who's shepherding the story through the whole process. My sense -- and I don't know whether this is true or not -- is that the JW movie is pieces of many drafts combined together. In and of themselves, those drafts might be fine... even excellent. Even the final shooting script might be fine. All I know is that the result, on screen, is a terrible mess, filled with narrative dead-ends, setups that go nowhere, reveals and character moments that weren't set up, a confused tone, action sequences without much cohesion or structure, and characters that are flat at best and incomprehensible at worst.

But that's the movie... not the script.

I'm on my phone, so I don't have any gifs handy...

/CitizenKaneapplausegif

• Like 1