WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

That JP toy collection is AMAZING.

Thank you CJ!! :D

There's a lot more but I didn't want to crowd up the thread with pics since it's kinda off topic.. These are some of the best pics though with the mini-JP toy lounge in the first pic 

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 2

Just for the record, consider this:

First of all, I liked IO way more than Minions.  

But look at it this way.  Minions is going to make a minimum of about 200 million more than IO WW.

The budget was about half of IO

And yet people are disparaging Minions for some reason.  The box office doesn't lie.  In places like Australia, Argentina and Mexico it is doing huge business.  So hate on it all you want, but the DM franchise is a Titan.  And they keep their budgets low so their profit is much higher than a lot of other animated films.

Congrats to Universal and Illumination for a job well done.

Also, the Minions are a merchandising monster.

• Like 1

Knew Minions will go down. It's gonna track behind IO from now on and doesn't have a big enough lead. Pixels will put the domestic battle to bed, but WW Minions looking good for 1 billion.

Alfred, what's your overall WW estimate for both IO and Min?

People that said that Avatar's script sucks know jackshit about scriptwriting. Everything is tight as fuck, the 3 acts structure is classic but efficient and everything that is set up got a pay off at some point in the third act unlike JW. What about the Irex camouflage thing and all the superpowers that are brought up at the beginning and never paid off further in the third act of the movie when it's time to put all to good use in the final battle for hence? How about the divorce thing and the cut-away with the parents that is never ever brought up nor resolved in the third act again so why bother with all that bad melodrama if this has no bearing on the characters journey in the end? How about Claire's character portrayed as a shrill and conceited businesswoman who can unload a rifle at point blank on a living pterodactyl while saving the male protagonist's ass and still treated like a damsel in distress and not the badass she is by the nephews and the male protagonist?

I mean tell me Owen's character motivation and arc (Clue: He got none). For what purpose is he petting and training raptors if he's adamantly against training them for military purpose even if he works under the supervision of the head of security bad guy? Introducing elements that don't pay off further in the movie (or worse is at odds with itself) is symptomatic of a bad script by Hollywood standards. You can rag on JC all you want but that guy knows his scriptwriting 101 and how to write archetypal epics that go smoothly and logically from point A to point B whether it be Titanic or Avatar, those movies scripts are tight as fuck and nothing is put in there that doesn't advance the story. Something that is getting lost in blockbusters scriptwriting lately due to random chaos cinema and superficial face value approach.

post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clapp  post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clapp

post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clapp  post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clapp

• Like 3

You can also have none of that and have solid structure like Avatar.

Of course, each department is equally important but pacing is most prominat.

Let's say you watched a movie and the first act really really dragged the 2nd and 3rd were good though. You give it an 82

Now let's say they were able to trim 5 minutes off the first act, it flows better now. Your brain whether you are noticing it or not feels this. Now the 2nd act comes faster and the 3rd gets here with no lag time and you find yourself a tad more invested in the whole movie because of that 5 minute trim. Now the mobie earns a 85.

Even a HP fan like me can enjoy the 10 extra minutes in an extended cut but it doesn't matter if I love the footage it slows the movie down as a whole which makes me less invested in the picture as a whole. I'm rambling.

But having just finished my 2nd draft of my 101 page screenplay I can tell you the characters write the dialoge themselves , the writer controls the structure

Edited by Jay Hollywood