Letsuseournoggin

100 Greatest American Films

Eh, no list like this will never satisfy everyone. It's useless to be annoyed that there are no Coens/PTA/Linklater/Fincher movies there, but it is interesting to note that apparently their stock isn't quite that high with non-US critics. Or that Heaven's Gate has become reevaluated to such an extent that it is on the list while The Deer Hunter isn't. Etc.

• Like 2

Horrible list.  So many films on there which are part of the brainwashing stigma.

Any list of great movies that has Do the Right Thing and Mulholland Drive ahead of Jaws is just wrong.

It's a solid list especially near the top though I will never love Vertigo as much as critics and the paucity of love for animation irks me. 

But I'll add my gripes.  Marnie as 49?  Marnie?  It's not even a top 20 Hitchcock.  Yet no Read Window at all.   The Band Wagon but not The Music ManImitation of Life over Jaws or even on this list?  One Michael Curtiz and Wyler movie?  Barry Lyndon?  This movie still stars the plank like Ryan O'Neal doesn't it?  The Shining and Eyes Wide shut?  Why this hard on for lesser Kubrick?  But there's no room for All About Eve, In The Heat Of The Night, Cool Hand Luke, All the President's Men, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Blazing Saddles etc?  

Eh, maybe not such a solid list after all. :P

Edited by TalismanRing

Barry Lyndon?  This movie still stars the plank like Ryan O'Neal doesn't it?  The Shining and Eyes Wide shut?  Why this hard on for lesser Kubrick?  

Eh, maybe not such a solid list after all. :P

There is no "lesser Kubrick" after 1964