FilmBuff

Thursday #s (Rth): Minions 4.8M, Ant-Man 4.6M, TW 3.1M, IO 1.4M, JW 1.26M

Just for that all time chart

It's not added in here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=pixar.htm

Or in any showdowns such as: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=animationalltime.htm

For the first, looks like they haven't been adding rereleases to those pages for a while (check Star Wars, but notice the absence of TPM rerelease).

But on the other hand, of course they aren't added to showdowns, how would that even work? They only compare individual releases. In fact overall, apart from not updating those franchise pages, I'd say they're doing it right, it makes sense to lump all the releases together for the lifetime chart because that continues forever, but otherwise it's more useful in general to have them be separate.

Both Titanic and Cameron behind them, Jurassic World had a virtual unknown in Trevorrow, Jurassic World is the most surprising.

This is some straw-grasping. JW was sold on Spielberg's name almost exclusively.

I'm still in the camp that Sniper is more insane than JW because there's a precedent for a 600m summer movie (even if it's only one) and there's no precedent for a 200m January movie, let alone a 350m January movie. Nothing beats the two of them though.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 7

Both Titanic and Cameron behind them, Jurassic World had a virtual unknown in Trevorrow, Jurassic World is the most surprising.

Please, it coulda been directed by a drover's dog and made money like it did.

• Like 3

This is some straw-grasping. JW was sold on Spielberg's name almost exclusively.

I'm still in the camp that Sniper is more insane than JW because there's a precedent for a 600m summer movie (even if it's only one) and there's no precedent for a 200m January movie, let alone a 350m January movie. Nothing beats the two of them though.

Sniper's OW is probably the most surprising experience for me since joining the forum. It tripled my opening weekend expectation :lol:

• Like 2

Jurassic World is the most surprising run in the entire Box office history.

Nobody predicted it, NOBODY.

It's weird how the movies NO ONE predicts to be gigantic are the ones that end up that big. No one predicted any of the top 4 to be as big as they were except BK and Kal with Avatar. I find it funny that as a board with consensus on most films, not one among us can predict the gigantic break out top 5 of all time movies. Are we all missing a key piece of the puzzle in our analysis? What do you guys think?

But like I said, it was in Titanic s DNA to surprise, it s very easy to see why Titanic was such a behemoth.

JW was just number 4 in an almost forgotten franchise in a world where we see CGI monsters (TF4 had freaking dinos last year) every year.

That is completely revisionist. At the time everyone was dooming Paramount as a studio saying they'd be bankrupt and this movie would do unto Paramount what Cutthroat Island did to MGM. Not one person had it making its 200m budget back, let alone the 3 times domestic (not even accounting for overseas) it actually made. Titanic and Avatar by far (for their respective time periods) are the two most surprising runs.

The original Jurassic Park adjusts to pretty close to what Jurassic World will make, so in hindsight we at least had a small clue that this could happen. Titanic and Avatar there was no hint, zero, none.

• Like 1

It feels like it's always one of the crazy stanners who makes ONE seemingly insane prediction that turns out right. I haven't been around long enough, but apparently, Kal was right with Avatar, BKB was right with Avengers, and most recently, Excel was right with JW. (And for people who can remember that far back, did Excel have a similarly huge prediction for JW? And was he ridiculed for it then?)

Edited by TServo2049

It's weird how the movies NO ONE predicts to be gigantic are the ones that end up that big. No one predicted any of the top 4 to be as big as they were except BK and Kal with Avatar. I find it funny that as a board with consensus on most films, not one among us can predict the gigantic break out top 5 of all time movies. Are we all missing a key piece of the puzzle in our analysis? What do you guys think?

I predicted Jurassic World to be in top 10 all time, does that count?  :lol:

It feels like it's always one of the crazy stanners who makes ONE seemingly insane prediction that turns out right. I haven't been around long enough, but apparently, Kal was right with Avatar, BKB was right with Avengers, and most recently, Excel was right with JW. (And for people who can remember that far back, did Excel have a similarly huge prediction for JW? And was he ridiculed for it then?)

unless he is another poster who's changed their name, I never saw Excel post once until Jurassic World had been released.

Edited by Tree-5000

Not one person on this board had it above 375m when it opened, not one.

That is completely revisionist. At the time everyone was dooming Paramount as a studio saying they'd be bankrupt and this movie would do unto Paramount what Cutthroat Island did to MGM. Not one person had it making its 200m budget back, let alone the 3 times domestic (not even accounting for overseas) it actually made.

Wait, I thought Titanic started completely under Fox, and Paramount was brought in late to share the burden?

Keith's Pixels headline immediately made me think of this.

Thats awesome!

I watched Animaniacs as a kid and watching some of the episodes again, boy did it have a lot of adult themes and innuendos.  

Not one person on this board had it above 375m when it opened, not one.

Look at this club, there were a few who had it above 375 last minute (i.e. the week running up to Thursday morning when the club was closed) and two of us above 375 for quite a while:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18360-closed-jurassic-world-over-jurassic-park-we-win-booyakasha/

Look at this club, there were a few who had it above 375 last minute (i.e. the week running up to Thursday morning when the club was closed) and two of us above 375 for quite a while:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18360-closed-jurassic-world-over-jurassic-park-we-win-booyakasha/

Reading through the first few pages of your club

:rofl:

• Like 1