FilmBuff

Thursday #s (Rth): Minions 4.8M, Ant-Man 4.6M, TW 3.1M, IO 1.4M, JW 1.26M

That shooting though, will this affect BO?

It could certainly damper business a bit (especially given that the shooting could've happened at any movie, not Trainwreck in particular), but I think this is just looking to be a subdued weekend in general. Mostly unappealing/unexciting openers always equals soft box office.

Loyal's post on Avatar in July 2009 aced it as well.

I've felt since day one if anything is going to take down Titanic, it'll be another Jim Cameron film.

And with all the references to Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas from Comic Con, I think Avatar has the romance angle covered. The Science Fiction/Fantasy, CGI 3D angle is covered. It's the perfect storm for mega success.

So it was not completely unexpected.

And then, of course, there was BKB.

Let me just say this right off the bat: AVATAR is a BOMB for not cracking 100 Million in it's 1st weekend for as much as this cost to make, so here's the deal: I'm so 100% certain that AVATAR will not recoup it's budget, it's production and marketing cost, that I'll hang up my so called TROLLING Boots and retire from movie forums PERIOD if this movie is able to make 750 Million WORLDWIDE.. Yeah that's right, I said WORLDWIDE, not DOMESTIC and to me, this is a pretty bold bet and I'm so certain it won't, that I'm willing to make that call and for those that post over at Loyal's site, you go over there and tell that douche what my intentions are since he likes to talk shit behind my back and do so easily without me being able to respond and why?? Cause it's easy to BAN someone over there when you have a disagreement about a movie Loyal loves..

So who's in???

Edit: btw, I'm pretty sure BJ didn't make his full prediction until shortly before it opened, he simply added it to his first post. Still, kudos for predicting insanity!

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

I don't remember if it was pre-release or just after it opened, but BJ published one of his insane predictions (with all the details: opening day, weekend, daily numbers, etc) saying AVATAR would do something like 850m. And the damn movie actually (kinda) kept up with his numbers. :rofl:

There we go. He was closer to nailing it than anyone, haha.

• Like 1

Both Pixels and Paper Towns did horribly last night. Pixels at roughly a quarter of Ant-Man's previews and 70% of Genysis. Paper Towns at 15% of Fault in Our Stars. 

I guess that's about $1.5m-1.7m for Pixels and $1.1-1.4m for Paper Towns. Yikes.

• Like 1