Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

It is because of that fanboy attitude of Marvel is Jesus that I want FOX to keep the rights. If they can make good X-Men movies they can also make good F4 movies. Unfortunately, it is undoubtedly after this monster failure they won't try to get some big money from a deal with Marvel.

Marvel fans want FF in MCU to see Silver Surfer, the Thing, Dr. Doom, the Skrulls and Galactus alongside the Avengers.

It's not that unreasonable.

X-men is different because mutants existing in their own separate universe makes sense.

Why wouldn't I think that? Does this mean I can't think Marvel will at some point release a massive turd to the market? FOX made good X-Men movies. They can do good FF movies too. I feel they really tried hard this time. They got a hot new director with a good movie on his resume (same thing many others did as well) and they got a pretty great cast. 

Maybe, but Fox has not been good in their decisions for this series overall (I remember the reports that they hired Tim Story for the mid-2000s based on his work on the Jimmy Fallon/Queen Latifah flop Taxi, while everything about this film's production makes it sound like hiring Trank was a mistake in the first place and they wouldn't shut down the production in fear of wasting money, which they ended up doing anyway). Following this movie's reception and box office, it's going to be a very long time until there is a new Fantastic Four reboot.

• Like 1

Wrong. Ant-Man did 450M because it had a good marketing campaign and good reviews. If Marvel had released some POS like this new FF it would also bomb.

But Marvel doesn't make critical bombs.

And you wonder why FF fans want Marvel to regain the FF.

Maybe, but Fox has not been good in their decisions for this series overall (I remember the reports that they hired Tim Story for the mid-2000s based on his work on the Jimmy Fallon/Queen Latifah flop Taxi, while everything about this film's production makes it sound like hiring Trank was a mistake in the first place and they wouldn't shut down the production in fear of wasting money, which they ended up doing anyway). Following this movie's reception and box office, it's going to be a very long time until there is a new Fantastic Four reboot.

Some people are saying the contract says a new movie every 7 years. 7 years seems like enough time nowadays. Spider-Man is getting rebooted 2 years after TASM. Batman just 4 years after the last iteration. 

But Marvel doesn't make critical bombs.

And you wonder why FF fans want Marvel to regain the FF.

How do you know it won't happen at some point? Besides, the fact The Dark World, The First Avenger or The Incredible Hulk are fresh is actually amazing. But I guess the same old shit for 10 years is great and everyone loves it (can't complain much, so far I like their movies, even if they take 0 risks). 

Edited by CJohn

http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-08-07-north-america-thursday-night-report-fantastic-four-fizzles-with-27m-the-gift-unwraps-585k-ricki-and-the-flash-bows-to-200k

At this current pace, and with word of mouth expected to quickly sour audience interest, the Fantastic Four reboot might struggle to reach a $25-30 million opening weekend (the low end of that range based on using Ant-Man's recent Thursday-to-weekend ratio). If that holds, last week's Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation could pull off an unexpected repeat finish in first place for its sophomore frame.

• Like 3

Some people are saying the contract says a new movie every 7 years. 7 years seems like enough time nowadays. Spider-Man is getting rebooted 2 years after TASM. Batman just 4 years after the last iteration. 

The Spider-Man movie brand is in nowhere nearly as bad of shape as the Fantastic Four is. Come on now. Earliest there is a new movie won't be for like another decade.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

How do you know it won't happen at some point? Besides, the fact The Dark World, The First Avenger or The Incredible Hulk are fresh is actually amazing. But I guess the same old shit for 10 years is great and everyone loves it (can't complain much, so far I like their movies, even if they take 0 risks). 

CA1 is a very good movie or at least way better than dark world and incredible hulk.

• Like 2

So, guys, a multiple above or below 2.0x?

Just above imo...2.10-2.15x. Below 2.0 is very difficult. Some that got close :

The Happening 2.11

Godzilla 2.15

GL 2.19

ASM2 2.21

• Like 1

The Spider-Man movie brand is in nowhere nearly as bad of shape as the Fantastic Four is. Come on now. Earliest there is a new movie won't be for like another decade.

2 years is too fucking soon after what it was an already too soon reboot in the first place. Same thing with Batman, even if I can't wait to see that movie. If the contract is indeed a movie every 7 years if I was FOX I would try again. At least one more time. FF can make money. There is proof. 

• Like 1

Yes, I'm fully aware of that, but you're acting like it was only MCU fans. It was pretty much everyone.

It was the MCU fanboys. GA doesn't care about changes. They don't even know anything about the comics lol. 

• Like 1

2 years is too fucking soon after what it was an already too soon reboot in the first place. Same thing with Batman, even if I can't wait to see that movie. If the contract is indeed a movie every 7 years if I was FOX I would try again. At least one more time. FF can make money. There is proof. 

The first Fantastic Four movie made money because there was a novelty to it before the well had been officially poisoned. Everyone's caught on by now. The "three strikes you're out" rule is officially creeping up on Fox when it comes this franchise.

I won't be surprised if they try one more time in 7 years (if they don't give the rights back to Marvel by then following the enormous failure of this movie), but as others have said, the series is officially damaged goods. I imagine Marvel isn't even happy watching what has done with one of their biggest and most valuable properties.

• Like 2