Gopher

Wednesday #s: Huh!

Yes, but that 10% range is quite a bit as the week draws to a close.

Not saying it's the sole cause, but I have friends in TN, MO, IL and TX that all had kids going back yesterday or today so some areas with decent populations going back will effect the turnout. Expect decent drops (with previews as well) today and nicer Friday increases then we have seen for the family films.

Also, this summer has just been plain odd when it comes to the Tuesday - Wednesday playbook.

saw mi5 last night , i gotta say tom cruise sure seems to deliver solid action movies , no excess by the book good action , pretty tight stuff !

also saw "le petit prince" i'd say its kinda like UP in the kid /old person connecting storyline , its an animation but not the kiddie US animation sort, it was way dense but probably due to the book it incorporated "le petit prince" by antoine de saint-exupery a philosophical tale ...maybe not as accessible as vice versa but miles better !

• Like 3

MI5's Thu should be similar to RotPotA's 2.5m.

Will take MI5 to ~121m. Rise was at 117.5m.

Following the same dailies as Rise will give it a total of ~180.3m (3.25x from ow).

175-185m seems to be the range for MI5. (3.15x-3.33x)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

]

Yes, but that 10% range is quite a bit as the week draws to a close.

Not saying it's the sole cause, but I have friends in TN, MO, IL and TX that all had kids going back yesterday or today so some areas with decent populations going back will effect the turnout. Expect decent drops (with previews as well) today and nicer Friday increases then we have seen for the family films.

Also, this summer has just been plain odd when it comes to the Tuesday - Wednesday playbook.

Some schools here (Ohio) went back yesterday.

Here in Georgia, 90% of elementary to H.S. are already back in school. All Universities/colledges go back on the 17th.

Fantastic Four weekdays were bigger than Ant-Man here, coming from an equal OW, and it ended with a bigger 7 day total lol. Meanwhile Rogue Nation is going basilisk today (opening day here) and Minions is on track to become the 2nd biggest movie ever behind Avatar. It will end up with 3 times more than what Despicable Me 2 did here lol.  

MI5 2.83 (-38%)

F4 1.55 (-47%)

Gift 1.1 (-37%) 

Minions 1 (-44%)

Ant-Man 940k (-39%) 

For Thurs, I'd guess: 

Compton: $2.8 million  

MI5: $2.6 million

F4: $1.25 million 

UNCLE: $1 million 

Gift: $950k

Minions: $850k 

Ant-Man: $800k 

Edited by mahnamahna

Compton #1 on MT with 24%. 5m wouldn't surprise me at all tonight. 

Nice to see UNCLE on there too (6%). 

I'd love to see Compton get a $60 million+ OW. August needs at least one major success story  :lol: even though The Gift and MI5 will end up being quite successful and UNCLE should actually end up doing more than F4 if it opens to $20-25 million. 

For how long have they, in the states, had discount tuesdays? Wonder how much longer they will exist cause they seem to take some of wind out of the sails from not just wednesdays but they will also affect the weekends as well. Sooner or later. Movie total grosses will be less. 

Edited by Amadeus

Fantastic Four (2015)    $1,665,804    -43%    3,995    --    $417    $32,549,121    1

Paper Towns    $225,958    -26%    1,284    -1747    $176    $29,630,203    3

Spy (2015)    $35,227    -18%    306    -69    $115    $109,596,810    10    

Home (2015)    $29,289    37%    159    -21    $184    $177,115,936    20    

Self/Less    $5,975    -15%    106    -122    $56    $12,226,314    5  

For how long have they, in the states, had discount tuesdays? Wonder how much longer they will exist cause they seem to take some of wind out of the sails from not just wednesdays but they will also affect the weekends as well. Sooner or later. Movie total grosses will be less. 

I think they started it, as the income decreased already, to counteract it a bit

To do a trip to the cinemas as a family with 2 kids is nowadays IMHO rather expensive, not all families will want or be able to spend that much money, but might still go for a reduced price

Many alternative possibilities to see a movie or other digital entertainments... good home theater equipment,... lessens the interest IMHO since many years, but e.g. for the big event movies ppl seem still be willing to watch a movie in the cinema too (depending on...)

When I read so often about studios destroying the market for mid-sized budget... I often think people forget that part

E.g. myself:

why should I drive for some time, pay a lot of money for a movie without open spaces, effects, high speed ... endure texting or babbeling teens.... when I can watch it also later on at home, then owning the disc and get so even the possibility to rewatch it at any given moment for a lot less than one cinema visit would cost me?

• Like 1

I saw Terminator Genisys Tuesday premier night at 7pm for 5 bucks.  I was there 20 min early and was one of the first ones in.  By the time the previews ended, the 150 seat theater was 100% full.  I wonder how Tuesday previews get affected by this?  If Terminator did 2.3 Tuesday night and you multiply this by 1.5, you get 3.45.  I would do more but IMAX counts for something.  Magic Mike did 2.1 and I bet that would inflate to over 3.5 by almost doubling Tuesday's #.

and Vacation did 1.2.  If this was Thursday, maybe it would be 2.0??  (1.2)x(0.67) + 1.2 = 2.0.    or 1.2 x 1.67 = 2.0

Hmm a few of the smaller release movies have increases, see Home (2015) too

Dope    $7,416    -6%    38    -30    $195    $16,668,833    8    
Insidious: Chapter 3    $4,492    9%    69    -36    $65    $52,213,987    10    
Cop Car    $2,876    31%    3    --    $959    $33,254    1    
Beyond the Mask    $52    -4%    2    0    $26    $1,234,309    18