kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

This just in from AwardsWatch.  This would fit with what Francis Lawrence has been saying about the hard R. 

A friend of mine who works at Fox saw this the other night and described it as "one of the most gory, graphic movies I've ever seen." He really liked it, but said it's very intense and the sex scenes go there. 

He's not a huge movie guy, actually, so his opinion shouldn't quite be taken as gospel, but I figured it was worth contributing.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2018 at 8:30 PM, ChrisTelclear said:

This just in from AwardsWatch.  This would fit with what Francis Lawrence has been saying about the hard R. 

I seriously doubt its that gory. They want to make money in the end

Anyway this may save march

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

A hard R spy film with a 2 and a half hour runtime? Yeah, really not seeing the box office potential now. Who is the audience for this exactly? I mean maybe if it were a Tarantino film or something it could work, but otherwise I don't know what demo this is going for. 

It's clearly going for the adult crowd :lol: I'm not sure how old this is going to skew with the amount of sex and violemce though. The trailer sometimes gets interest from seniors in my audiences, but WOM could be shit among them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

A hard R spy film with a 2 and a half hour runtime? Yeah, really not seeing the box office potential now. Who is the audience for this exactly? I mean maybe if it were a Tarantino film or something it could work, but otherwise I don't know what demo this is going for. 

I was going to say The girl with the Dragoon Tattoo/Fincher audience, but Tattoo had sold like 80m books and was one of the biggest cultural phenomenon of the 2000s, yet it made only 232m WW with an over 110m net nice Fincher production and a 100m marketing budget with 5 Oscar nominations and a win released during the award window. Possibly indicating that there is still a market for those story, but more in the book format were violence/sex tend to be easier to "play well with audience".

Other recent possible relevant comparable, Atomic Blonde did 100m WW with a really nice reception and Universal strong push, The Americans was an acclaimed tv series playing on FOX and it never got to a 2m average ratings and went below 0.8m at the last season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I was going to say The girl with the Dragoon Tattoo/Fincher audience, but Tattoo had sold like 80m books and was one of the biggest cultural phenomenon of the 2000s, yet it made only 232m WW with an over 110m net nice Fincher production and a 100m marketing budget with 5 Oscar nominations and a win released during the award window. Possibly indicating that there is still a market for those story, but more in the book format were violence/sex tend to be easier to "play well with audience".

Other recent possible relevant comparable, Atomic Blonde did 100m WW with a really nice reception and Universal strong push, The Americans was an acclaimed tv series playing on FOX and it never got to a 2m average ratings and went below 0.8m at the last season.

The Americans isn't over quite yet :ph34r: 

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It's clearly going for the adult crowd :lol: I'm not sure how old this is going to skew with the amount of sex and violemce though. The trailer sometimes gets interest from seniors in my audiences, but WOM could be shit among them.

The only really similar release in terms of genre, tone, and content I can think of that did really well at the box office would be Gone Girl. Though that had awards buzz and being based on a popular book working for it. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The only really similar release in terms of genre, tone, and content I can think of that did really well at the box office would be Gone Girl. Though that had awards buzz and being based on a popular book working for it. 

Dragon Tattoo as well as mentioned above

• Like 1