kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

25 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

What will be the budget for this? I really hope that it won't be over $100m, I would hate see another movie making decent numbers, but being considered a flop because it had a huge budget.

Same here. It doesn't really need to be expensive though, from the story.

I guess 60m-70m-ish for the budget, depending on how much the Jlaw got paid.

Is the narrative of the book somewhat critical about Vladimir Poutine ?

Also, I must admit I am a bit worried about the russian accent thing.

Even if I understand why they do it, playing non english speaking characters that somehow earn their nationality through the accent always sounded ridiculous to me.

But hey, Hollywood magic, Jlaw will be russian here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Even if I understand why they do it, playing non english speaking characters that somehow earn their nationality through the accent always sounded ridiculous to me.

Yeah, put on accents are never perfect and always rub someone wrong, but there it is.  Yes the book is somewhat critical of Putin while portraying him as a strong force.  I can't help but wonder how this is going to play in Russia.  Maybe they are updating the tone.

Edited by trifle

20 hours ago, The Futurist said:

My guess was $65M, and for Jlaw about $15M, her current high quote is $20M after Passengers.   She's the only A-Lister in this one, so nobody else should be too high.

• Like 2

Less than 75 million for a net production budget make sense.

Currently the Hungary to US dollar is around 0.0035, it was 0.0045 before the end of summer 2014, that in part why Inferno was so much cheaper than expected, you only pay 77% of what you would have paid usually (and often planned to paid) in local expense. They also have a generous tax rebate of 25% percent (that accept that you pass some US expense on it), that can turn planned a 110 million gross production movie into a less than 75 million net one.

As a reference the recent movie Allied had a planned net production budget of around 70 million

With as planned salary

Brad Pitt  :17.5 million v 20%

Zemeckis :  8.0 million v 15%

Graham King (producer): 2 million v 5%

With an early estimated break even point at $167 WWBO ($67M DBO / $100M IBO) and an early estimated target around $230 WWBO ($100M DBO / $130M IBO), when studio were bidding on it.

It is easy to imagine something similar for the movie budget, break even point (maybe a little bit higher with the home entertainment market diminishing value) and the director / star actor type of deal, maybe a little less around 14/15 and 6/7 because they are less established.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisTelclear said:

So what's this sudden decision not to post pics from Budapest?   Did somebody threaten them?

I think it's just general protectiveness.  Jen has some pretty creepy stalkers, and I think this account doesn't want to be the one to alert people to where she will be in advance.

Edited by trifle