kayumanggi

HIDDEN FIGURES | 12.25.16 | Fox | Stage musical in the works

Ted Melfi & Fox 2000 In Talks For ‘Hidden Figures’; How A Group Of Math-Savvy Black Women Helped NASA Win Space Race

http://deadline.com/2015/07/ted-melfi-hidden-figures-black-women-mathematicians-help-nasa-win-space-race-fox-2000-1201473028/

St. Vincent helmer Ted Melfi might well have found his next film to direct. Melfi is in talks on Hidden Figures, an adaptation of the upcoming Margot Lee Shetterly book to be published next year by HarperCollins. It’s about an unsung group of African American female math wizards who helped NASA win the space race. The project was optioned and developed by producer Donna Gigliotti, who got a script by Allison Schroeder. Fox 2000 is in talks to acquire the project, and Chernin Entertainment — which produced St. Vincent — is in talks to join Gigliotti as producer. The goal of all this is to begin production early next year with Fox 2000 president Elizabeth Gabler and her exec Marisa Paiva shepherding the picture.

Already, word is circulating about possible stars and the names I’m hearing include Oprah Winfrey, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Empire’s Taraji P. Henson. They and others are being talked up to potentially play Katherine Johnson, Mary Jackson, Dorothy Vaughan, Kathryn Peddrew, Sue Wilder, Eunice Smith and Barbara Holley. The fact no one has ever heard of these ladies makes this unbelievable story more appealing. They helped provide NASA with the raw computing power it needed to safely launch John Glenn and his fellow astronauts into space. The story intersects seminal turning points in U.S. history including the Cold War, the space race, the civil rights movement and the quest for gender equality. The author — whose father was a NASA scientist in Langley — notes that after WWII, federal agencies and defense contractors hired numbers-savvy women to deal with the shortfall of male numbers crunchers. NASA did the same. While they dealt with racism and the Jim Crow laws in Virginia, these women became so valued that Glenn refused to launch unless they signed off on calculations that gave him confidence his craft would not turn into a fireball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why wouldn't Fox push this to December for Oscar buzz? Going up against The Dark Tower isn't a good idea.

The Dark Tower has yet to start production, it will be moved for sure :lol: 

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why wouldn't Fox push this to December for Oscar buzz? Going up against The Dark Tower isn't a good idea.

Hilarious schedule

The Dark Tower (Sony) - 1/13
 Friday the 13th (2016) (Par.) - 1/13
 Geostorm (WB) - 1/13
 Hidden Figures (Fox) - 1/13
 Monster Trucks (Par.) - 1/13

I really think they should delay Friday the 13th one more time as that will put it on October 13th, right in time for the Halloween movie season.

LOL A film about a bunch of black women (with Octavia Spenser in a role) automatically looks generic and 'like The Help"...

So that's why The Departed reminded me so much of Ocean's 11. It's a bunch of white men and they even share a star!!

Yep...almost identical movies.

Anyway...this looks fantastic.

I don't know about the film itself, but Janelle Monae looked compulsively watchable and charismatic in that trailer.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

LOL A film about a bunch of black women (with Octavia Spenser in a role) automatically looks generic and 'like The Help"...

So that's why The Departed reminded me so much of Ocean's 11. It's a bunch of white men and they even share a star!!

You are not a real person.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Anyway...this looks fantastic.

I don't know about the film itself, but Janelle Monae looked compulsively watchable and charismatic in that trailer.

No I think it looks like The Help because its movies about black women and their struggles written by white men using stereotypical voices and they are made to appeal to mass white audiences like The Help was. 

It looks okay but the writers they got aren't even good writers. 

Edit: I'll definitely watch it though. Maybe I'll like it I love the subject matter. Janelle Monae looks great. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2