kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 47.5 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 18.2 M THE INTERN | 14.0 M TMR: THE SCORCH TRIALS | 13.1 M EVEREST

They shouldn't have released Everest last weekend in a part rollout. It should have been a normal full 3,000+ theater rollout. I think the way they did it took some wind out of it's sails.

Exactly, the press wave hit a couple weeks ago. I feel like the movie has been out forever, but it just got a wide release today. There was a ton of commercials for this, just bad timing I think. This feels like a late Oct, early Nov release. Why would I want to see a movie about snow in Sept? I am still holding onto summer.

Hotel Transylvania 2 should be able to get the September OW record with a $12.5 million Friday, and The Intern should be pretty leggy. $20 million OW should take it to $60-80 million DOM, since its demo has essentially nothing from now until December 18th  (well Suffragette and Our Brand is Crisis, sort of... maybe By the Sea, also) 

The Martian breaking out should just continue the positive momentum for Fall 2015. Unfortunately, Pan and The Walk very well could end the hot streak. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

Gyllenhaal is a household name, but I don't really understand how people who follow box office are still talking about actors as draws. You guys know there are very few of them left. There are many, many stars who aren't box office draws. So it's almost completely irrelevant that he's not a draw. 

Besides, he's barely in the trailer. 

• Like 2

LOL at CJohn trying it again saying that Gyllenhaal is on the same househould name level as Jason Clarke, who was pretty much a nobody just three years ago. Stay away from the pipe, man.

Gyllenhaal has been recognizable to the public for a decade now (the trifecta of The Day After Tomorrow, Jarhead, and Brokeback Mountain, for which he got an Oscar nomination, in less than two years solidified that), even if his attempts to become a bonafide star haven't paid off.

Jake Gyllenhall should travel back in time, get tips from a giant bunny, and change the past so he becomes the biggest hollywood star in the world. :ph34r:

And he should also burn the Prince of Persia so it never gets made. Oh wait, it didn't have a script.

Really disappointing for Everest. It seems strange that Uni is ending their hit streak on a movie that should've been an easy sell. I don't get it. Great for HT2 and Intern, though I doubt either are worthy of half that. 

I don't see where the "easy sell" arguments come from. It's about the true story of an expedition on Everest that...let's just say didn't end very well. This isn't Cliffhanger or Vertical Limit. It was a potentially depressing sell and Universal kept the budget relatively low (I imagine the cast took pay cuts from whatever they usually get out of a sense of duty to tell the story) because of it.

• Like 1

Really disappointing for Everest. It seems strange that Uni is ending their hit streak on a movie that should've been an easy sell. I don't get it. Great for HT2 and Intern, though I doubt either are worthy of half that.

UNI have no idea how to market this type of movie, WB would have done a better job, maybe.

Come on now Gyllenhall is known , he s been in the game for 15+ years, people have seen him in different films, he s doing tons of tv & talk shows to promote his movies and he s been in the tabloids because he s a bit of a starfucker.

And his sister knows The Dark Knight personally.

Edited by The Futurist