kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 47.5 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 18.2 M THE INTERN | 14.0 M TMR: THE SCORCH TRIALS | 13.1 M EVEREST

Maybe people aren't interested in watching Everest. The ads and trailers have not exactly been great, and it doesn't star any major names apart from Gyllenhaal.

Gyllenhaal isn't exactly a major name either, but I agree he is probably the biggest of the cast. Keira Knightley probably comes in 2nd and Jason Clarke in 3rd.

Gyllenhaal isn't exactly a major name either, but I agree he is probably the biggest of the cast. Keira Knightley probably comes in 2nd and Jason Clarke in 3rd.

Maybe if they put the star of the highest grossing movie of all time in the marketing, it could have done better.

Worthington. His power.

• Like 1

Brolin would be before Clarke IMO

I would put him in fourth. The dude is in 400 bombs per year.

Maybe if they put the star of the highest grossing movie of all time in the marketing, it could have done better.

Worthington. His power.

Sam Worthington was in the biggest film of all time so he should be the biggest draw

:lol: 

It's very telling that Vacation was moved up and Man from UNCLE stayed put while Pan was delayed. 

Well Goosebumps should have stayed in August. With its rumored excellent quality, it could have legged its way into late September/early October 

Pixels bombed, Minions/IO were on the tailend of their box-office runs, Shaun was a non-entity. 

The last two months definitely left a void for something family-friendly. Goosebumps and Everest moving to August would have eased tension on Fall BO, and help out the summer slightly. 

Edited by mahnamahna

Maybe people aren't interested in watching Everest. The ads and trailers have not exactly been great, and it doesn't star any major names apart from Gyllenhaal.

It's all about finding the target audience, typical movie fans aren't that interested in the bleakly gloomy realistic outcome in a movie. I thought The Perfect Guy trailer looked no better than b grade straight to DVD thriller and yet it managed to break out just fine.

Well Goosebumps should have stayed in August. With its rumored excellent quality, it could have legged its way into late September/early October 

Pixels bombed, Minions/IO were on the tailend of their box-office runs, Shaun was a non-entity. 

The last two months definitely left a void for something family-friendly. Goosebumps and Everest moving to August would have eased tension on Fall BO, and help out the summer slightly. 

All this means is that HT2 benefited greatly from the void of family friendly films.

• Like 1

Dah... I have no expectation for Everest but I'm as disappointed as CJohn because I think the movie deserves better. So people would only watch a disaster movie that make them 'feel good' with Hollywood ending hah? Those people deserve San Andreas, and they can kiss my lovely arse.

Disaster films don't do that well outside of those disaster movies that destroy entire cities. People go for the spectacle, and not necessarily the drama.

• Like 1

It's kind of odd that Sony Pictures Animation has two films within three weeks of each other, normally studios space out their family films but I guess Goosebumps being a hybrid means it's different enough plus it's aiming at a slightly older audience than HT2

• Like 1

It's very telling that Vacation was moved up and Man from UNCLE stayed put while Pan was delayed. 

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. already had been delayed from its original opening by seven months when WB put American Sniper in its spot, and was actually completed around this time last year because it was set for a January release. They weren't going to delay it again.

Everest was solid. Very atmospheric and moody and in the element. Can't imagine what it would have been like if I saw it in IMAX (some of the shots would be simply amazing in that format).

Film I think needed another 10 minutes or so pre-ascent to get a little more into some of the characters. Only Rob Hall (Clarke) felt truly fleshed out.

Score was a little underwhelming sadly. Which is surprising since Dario Marianelli is usually good for his work.

• Like 2

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. already had been delayed from its original opening by seven months when WB put American Sniper in its spot, and was actually completed around this time last year because it was set for a January release. They weren't going to delay it again.

The Man From UNCLE should have been released in a different time, IMO. Poor choice for release date.

Everest was solid. Very atmospheric and moody and in the element. Can't imagine what it would have been like if I saw it in IMAX (some of the shots would be simply amazing in that format).

It is a must see movie in IMAX. Amazing indeed. Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

The Man From UNCLE should have been released in a different time, IMO. Poor choice for release date.

I don't think WB or any studio could have known how well Compton would do or that Paramount would move up Mission Impossible by five months.