kayumanggi

TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE BEASTS | 06.09.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $157,066,392

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

You are generally right but underestimate the impact of Shia and Megan. They added a lot to the appeal of the first movies and it wasn't the same without them. Other actors simply didn't do it and these 2 certainly won't. 

Megan Fox?

EFLc2kRVUAAs5BR.jpg

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

You are generally right but underestimate the impact of Shia and Megan. They added a lot to the appeal of the first movies and it wasn't the same without them. Other actors simply didn't do it and these 2 certainly won't. 

Eh. Yeah. They did a bit. But, really there was novelty to Transformers movies being made at all let alone with a enormous budgets and directed by Michael Bay.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh. Yeah. They did a bit. But, really there was novelty to Transformers movies being made at all let alone with a enormous budgets and directed by Michael Bay.

Agreed. It's just that audience also likes eye candy since they will neevr make these movies without humans at the center.

21 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Are we really going to do revisionist history with Shia LaBeouf in the Transformers movies now? Everyone hated his character. No one went to those movies for him. 

No one ever goes to Transformers movies for humans but it's revisionist that people hated Shia's character that much. Maybe hardcore TF fans but not GA. 2 x 300M+ + 1 x 400M dom boxoffice speaks otherwise. He didn't hurt unless you believe movies would make more without him which absolutely wasn't the case when Mark Wahlberg, Beckham's daughter-in-law, Kate Bishop and whover else briefly took over. Wahlberg and Beckham second flick dropped from 245M dom/1.1BWW to 130M dom/605M WW. Kate Bishop's flick made paltry 127M dom/467M WW. So don't know about you but Shia + Megan was the best added value with Shia alone second best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

No one ever goes to Transformers movies for humans but it's revisionist that people hated Shia's character that much. Maybe hardcore TF fans but not GA. 2 x 300M+ + 1 x 400M dom boxoffice speaks otherwise. He didn't hurt unless you believe movies would make more without him which absolutely wasn't the case when Mark Wahlberg, Beckham's daughter-in-law, Kate Bishop and whover else briefly took over. Wahlberg and Beckham second flick dropped from 245M dom/1.1BWW to 130M dom/605M WW. Kate Bishop's flick made paltry 127M dom/467M WW. So don't know about you but Shia + Megan was the best added value with Shia alone second best. 

Yeah, as someone who never really watched the old cartoons, I did like Shia and Megan in the movies. I actually started to lose interest when Megan left. While I mostly watched for the Transformers. the human characters obviously had a lot of screentime and drove the plot of the movies. And while the new girl was very attractive, they didn't even try to make her interesting. And then Mark Wahlberg was decent but I just completely lost interest after Age of Extinction. That being said, Hailee was the GOAT and while I'm not sure what to think of the cast for this new movie, I think they're better off ignoring the Bay movies at this point.

Edited by poweranimals

19 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, as someone who never really watched the old cartoons, I did like Shia and Megan in the movies. I actually started to lose interest when Megan left. While I mostly watched for the Transformers. the human characters obviously had a lot of screentime and drove the plot of the movies. And while the new girl was very attractive, they didn't even try to make her interesting. And then Mark Wahlberg was decent but I just completely lost interet after Age of Extinction. That being said, Hailee was the GOAT and while I'm not sure what to think of the cast for this new movie, I think they're better off ignoring the Bay movies at this point.

Well said. I think studios always want a profit shortcut and they think leaning too much on the popular previous movies is the way to go so it's more lilely that they won't ignore Bay movies but we'll see.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I didn’t say he caused people to not go see the movies, but he was absolutely not well liked. People were constantly making fun of his performance and calling him annoying. There’s a reason his character was killed offscreen. 

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t say he caused people to not go see the movies, but he was absolutely not well liked. People were constantly making fun of his performance and calling him annoying. There’s a reason his character was killed offscreen. 

People...who are they? If he was such a problem than why didn't boxoffice suffer? Also, his character was killed offscreen because Shia went off rails IRL. I mean, Hailee Steinfeld is so adored online so why did her movie have such poor boxoffice? I don't think she hurt but I don't think she helped cause GA doesn't care about her. Hollywood has been trying to make her happen for years. There's a reason why they are still in Trying phase not in Result phase. 

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

That embargo doesn´t scream confidence. I´m still hopeful for this movie. Hope it delivers

I think It’s a decent embargo date, 3 days before release. Not great but i was expecting worse.

When it’s a complete failure normally reviews drop on THU to hide them while they can 

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

People...who are they? If he was such a problem than why didn't boxoffice suffer? Also, his character was killed offscreen because Shia went off rails IRL. I mean, Hailee Steinfeld is so adored online so why did her movie have such poor boxoffice? I don't think she hurt but I don't think she helped cause GA doesn't care about her. Hollywood has been trying to make her happen for years. There's a reason why they are still in Trying phase not in Result phase. 

Honestly, I think people are just tired of the franchise as a whole. And it's going to take a lot of good will to reignite the spark.  #punintended; If people don't like Rise of the Beasts, they might as well throw in the towel and the release date they picked isn't doing them any favors. Outside of Elemental, it's the least interesting of the big releases that month. But at least Elemental might appeal to a different audience.

Edited by poweranimals

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The movies didn’t suffer because again, people went to them for the big dumb robot action. The general consensus on LaBeouf ranged from mild indifference to outright irritation. People paid a lot more attention to Megan Fox in those movies, especially horny teenagers.

If you’re trying to argue that the movies made money because people were so enamored with Sam Witwicky, then I’m sorry, but that’s a big stretch. That’s like saying that Suicide Squad was successful because people were in love with Jared Leto’s Joker.