kayumanggi

TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE BEASTS | 06.09.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $157,066,392

7 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Honestly, I think people are just tired of the franchise as a whole. And it's going to take a lot of good will to reignite the spark.  #punintended; If people don't like Rise of the Beasts, they might as well throw in the towel and the release date they picked isn't doing them any favors. Outside of Elemental, it's the least interesting of the big releases that month. But at least Elemental might appeal to a different audience.

The one counter I'd offer is that Transformers is a known IP which could help it OS. And yet, people who might see Transformers will probably go see The Flash if they want a bublockbuster, or Elemental, if they want something for the kids.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Honestly, I think people are just tired of the franchise as a whole. And it's going to take a lot of good will to reignite the spark.  #punintended; If people don't like Rise of the Beasts, they might as well throw in the towel and the release date they picked isn't doing them any favors. Outside of Elemental, it's the least interesting of the big releases that month. But at least Elemental might appeal to a different audience.

Yeah, it's probably not at Terminator franchise level yet which is at zero interst but it's at a low level. 

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The movies didn’t suffer because again, people went to them for the big dumb robot action. The general consensus on LaBeouf ranged from mild indifference to outright irritation. People paid a lot more attention to Megan Fox in those movies, especially horny teenagers.

If you’re trying to argue that the movies made money because people were so enamored with Sam Witwicky, then I’m sorry, but that’s a big stretch. That’s like saying that Suicide Squad was successful because people were in love with Jared Leto’s Joker. 

No, what I'm saying is that he didn't hurt. How many times it has to be repeated that Autobots are the main draw? But he didn't hurt while you seem to think that he did even though next movie's boxoffice went up. OTOH, Wahlberg's second movie cratered. That wasn't the case with Shia's movies. First was big, second bigger, third between first and second so not a massive drop (also first TF to cross 1B). He has better traction than other actors who came after him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

No, what I'm saying is that he didn't hurt. How many times it has to be repeated that Autobots are the main draw? But he didn't hurt while you seem to think that he did even though next movie's boxoffice went up. OTOH, Wahlberg's second movie cratered. That wasn't the case with Shia's movies. First was big, second bigger, third between first and second so not a massive drop (also first TF to cross 1B). He has better traction than other actors who came after him. 

What are you talking about? I never said he hurt the movies. I specifically acknowledged that he didn’t, because people went to the movies for the action and the titular Transformers, not the human characters. You’re the one who implied that people had a fondness for Sam Witwicky, and that his absence somehow hurt the later films, when that definitely wasn’t the case. If anything hurt the later Transformers movies, it was general franchise fatigue, as well as the rise of the MCU. 

Here’s the thing; the Transformers movies were huge back in the day because they had a genuine novelty to them in a pre-Avengers world. That novelty was no longer apparent by the time the Mark Wahlberg movies came out. 

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I simply said the character and actor didn't hurt given the boxoffice so talk about hate was exaggerated. I'm sure he was hated by some - no one is liked by everyone - but not enough to deter from seeing movies. hence exaggeration. 

On 5/10/2023 at 10:49 AM, Valonqar said:

You are generally right but underestimate the impact of Shia and Megan. They added a lot to the appeal of the first movies and it wasn't the same without them. Other actors simply didn't do it and these 2 certainly won't. 

This was your initial comment that I responded to. You claimed that LaBeouf added “a lot of appeal” to the movies, which came across as a big exaggeration.

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

That embargo doesn´t scream confidence. I´m still hopeful for this movie. Hope it delivers

Even if they have confidence in the movie they  might not know how the critics will react to it. Kinda like what happened with Super Mario Bros just a month ago. That also had a late review embargo.

1 hour ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Even if they have confidence in the movie they  might not know how the critics will react to it. Kinda like what happened with Super Mario Bros just a month ago. That also had a late review embargo.

Mario got bad reviews initially, and even towards the end it was mixed reviews. Universal absolutely knew what they were doing when they waited a while to let reviews come out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thajdikt said:

Bulletproof predicts 100M

Thanks. While obviously yet another drop for the franchise (and the likely death knell for the movie overall), that's still a good number considering the situation atm. I mean, look at Fast X as well. Not surprised to see a high prediction for Meg 2 after that trailer...

Just LOL at everything else on that list.

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Wait...he was killed off-screen? I swear to God I have no recollection of this.

It's stated in the fifth film that he and Anthony Hopkins's character were part of this "Order of the Witwiccans" group, and then Hopkins claims to be the last surviving member, implying that Sam died.

Of course, the same movie shows Stephen Hawking as part of the order even though he was still alive when the movie came out, so it could just have been a script oversight (Last Knight flubs with the franchise continuity in a number of ways already).

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

While not definitive, so much for 'under 200 worldwide total' someone on here was saying this weekend.

I think the brand has big enough recognition to ensure something like that wouldn't happen, even if it only did 50 mil in China. Say worst case scenario 35/80 DOM, 50 China, 15 LATAM including Mexico, 20 Europe, 40 Australasia (incl Japan) and you're still over that mark. Mind you, I CAN see that worst case scenario becoming reality, though, in that crowded market...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cookie said:

It's stated in the fifth film that he and Anthony Hopkins's character were part of this "Order of the Witwiccans" group, and then Hopkins claims to be the last surviving member, implying that Sam died.

Of course, the same movie shows Stephen Hawking as part of the order even though he was still alive when the movie came out, so it could just have been a script oversight (Last Knight flubs with the franchise continuity in a number of ways already).

Oh, ya...right. All of that actually happened in that movie. I forgot they blew up Anthony Hopkins at Stonehenge in that one.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

I think the brand has big enough recognition to ensure something like that wouldn't happen, even if it only did 50 mil in China. Say worst case scenario 35/80 DOM, 50 China, 15 LATAM including Mexico, 20 Europe, 40 Australasia (incl Japan) and you're still over that mark. Mind you, I CAN see that worst case scenario becoming reality, though, in that crowded market...

Yeah exactly. Like I said in the weekend thread, I can see under 300 happening in a worst case scenario but under 200 is just absurd and is imo impossible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Yeah exactly. Like I said in the weekend thread, I can see under 300 happening in a worst case scenario but under 200 is just absurd and is imo impossible.

What a bomb that would be though. Could you imagine if it finished under Dungeons and Dragons? Ouch.