kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 54.31 M THE MARTIAN (not a record) | 33.19 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 11.69 M THE INTERN

Yes, but Ridley had one of the worst and longest big budget flop track records I can think of, from Black Hawk Down in '01 through Exodus. Tons of big budget movies that were either big losers or just broke even. In fact, the Martian is only his third true big budget success ever. 

Didn't both Hannibal and American Gangster come in that period?

I mean, sure, criticize him, but be honest about it. He's not an uber-blockbuster director and never has been. But there have been plenty of successes for him.

Didn't both Hannibal and American Gangster come in that period?

I mean, sure, criticize him, but be honest about it. He's not an uber-blockbuster director and never has been. But there have been plenty of successes for him.

Hannibal was right before that and American Gangster is another one of his broke even/barely profitable films. And the man has had surprisingly huge budgets for nearly every film since Gladiator. Again, all of which were either money losers or just barely profitable except Hannibal and now The Martian. 

American Gangster made 130m domestic(more than The Departed), that is by all accounts a home run for a gritty R-rated crime drama. Prometheus made a little more than 3 times its budget WW. It did pretty well for an R-rated sci fi. Predictions for that movie just got out of hand, R-rated movies just don't make north of 200m unless it's a raunchy comedy that hits the mark.

• Like 2

Hannibal was right before that and American Gangster is another one of his broke even/barely profitable films. And the man has had surprisingly huge budgets for nearly every film since Gladiator. Again, all of which were either money losers or just barely profitable except Hannibal and now The Martian. 

Prometheus was not "barely profitable".

And many of those films didn't have huge budgets.

Has Ridley Scott ever had anything that qualifies as a "streak" of hits? It seems he has only ever had two consecutive hits at a time - Black Rain/Thelma & Louise and Gladiator/Hannibal. (I had no idea Black Hawk Down was not a hit, but it does look to have not made much more than its budget.)

What the hell are you talking about? $352M WW on an $87M budget is a hit, isn't it? Not saying it was a good movie, I'm saying it made money.

And everyone was talking about the brain scene - that was shocking as hell in '01. People swore up and down they actually saw the knife go into the brain, when it came out on DVD they swore they had cut out the knife going into the brain because they were positive they'd seen it in the theater, even though there was never such a shot in any released cut of the film (I believe the cutaway was to secure an R rating). That's the kind of effect it had on audiences.

Edited by TServo2049

Jodie Foster had mentioned in an interview that she turned down the role in HANNIBAL because she was completely against her character aligning with a serial killer.. Come to think of it, I don't think I could've pictured her aligning with Lecter either..

Did you read the Hannibal novel? I heard the ending in that is even worse than the movie.

My point is, it was a hit. That is completely independent of it being a good movie. The fact that it's sort of forgotten/not looked upon that fondly speaks to that.

I'm saying it was a hit, you're saying it wasn't very good, we can both be right.

Hannibal the book sounds like The Lost World the book, not even remembered enough to be criticized like the movie is.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I have to agree, Exodus was one of the biggest disappointment that I had, Prometheus is pretty much underrated, though
I made a vow to myself last year that I wouldn't shit talk Prometheus anymore and I've done a good job of that. Not because it deserves a break but because it's not worth using the muscles in my fingers to continually write about how awful it is.
  • Like 1