kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 54.31 M THE MARTIAN (not a record) | 33.19 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 11.69 M THE INTERN

What the hell are you talking about? $352M WW on an $87M budget is a hit, isn't it? Not saying it was a good movie, I'm saying it made money.

And everyone was talking about the brain scene - that was shocking as hell in '01. People swore up and down they actually saw the knife go into the brain, when it came out on DVD they swore they had cut out the knife going into the brain because they were positive they'd seen it in the theater, even though there was never such a shot in any released cut of the film (I believe the cutaway was to secure an R rating). That's the kind of effect it had on audiences.

I actually like Hannibal.   Its not very good(though I wonder if it would've been better received if Jodie Foster came back, Julianne Moore was really distracting), but it wasn't boring.  And yeah, the controversy over the ending back in the day was entertaining. :lol:

Wait, isn't the theaters that choose which movies to show? Lol

No there's a booker who works out of head office. We just get sent the movies that we have to play, and then the managers decide the showtimes (as long as the times follow the rules of how many times the movie plays per day). That's why I was so upset we didn't get Compton right away, because we had no control over it.
  • Like 1

Isn't it a bit late for War Room?

Yes, but there's a small but vocal religious crowd in my town who have been phoning in and sending emails about War Room and I guess our booker decided that the film would do well here. What he didn't get was that only this small group of people would go.

Son of God had more no shows on OW than actual people in them.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

No there's a booker who works out of head office. We just get sent the movies that we have to play, and then the managers decide the showtimes (as long as the times follow the rules of how many times the movie plays per day). That's why I was so upset we didn't get Compton right away, because we had no control over it.

Wow, I didn't know about this, that's really interesting, thanks!

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet-but this is epic:

111 - Welcome Back Eros $332 -94.7% 135 - $2 $1,388,365 -

Yes a 2 dollar average :lol:

It doesn't matter anyway, the movie is a huge hit. Literally everyone expected it to be one of the biggest flops of the year since it is 7 years later sequel and the lead actor didn't return for the sequel. The business it did shocked every trade analyst.

It doesn't matter anyway, the movie is a huge hit. Literally everyone expected it to be one of the biggest flops of the year since it is 7 years later sequel and the lead actor didn't return for the sequel. The business it did shocked every trade analyst.

Yes since its a sequel to...wait what? :P:lol:

Yes since its a sequel to...wait what? :P:lol:

It's a sequel to Welcome, one of the biggest hits of 2007 in Bollywood. This came in with no expectations and everyone thought it would flop, ended up one of the biggest hits of the year so far.

It's a sequel to Welcome, one of the biggest hits of 2007 in Bollywood. This came in with no expectations and everyone thought it would flop, ended up one of the biggest hits of the year so far.

Yeah, US business is just gravy for Bollywood movies.

Means jack shit with regards to its actual success.

I have to agree, Exodus was one of the biggest disappointment that I had, Prometheus is pretty much underrated, though

It wasn't a disappointment, everyone knew it will suck. :D

HT2 increased 319% on Friday and another 109% on Saturday? Wow.

You should watch MANHUNTER with William Petersen, which is based on the novel, RED DRAGON and made by Michael Mann.. Great movie.. Better than the one with Edward Norton I thought.. 

Brian Cox was great as well.

• Like 2

Coming late to the Ridley discussion, but some of you guys are forgetting that most of these movies you're describing as "barely profitable" came during the home video boom. Black Hawk Down, Hannibal, even Thelma & Louise: these all made bank for their studios.

Thelma & Louise was the most rented movie of 1992. 

Edited by Boogie Nights
  • Like 1

Thelma & Louise made almost 3x its budget just in domestic theatrical, I'd say it was a solid hit even before video.

Black Rain was also quite a hit WW, $134M on a $30M budget (though only $46M came from domestic; not as much of a gulf as the insane-even-now 77% OS-to-WW of Licence to Kill, but still). Black Rain made more money OS than Lethal Weapon 2 did. But it's all but forgotten now.

Edited by TServo2049