WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg31): The Martian 37 | HT2 20.3 | Pan 15.5 | Intern 8.66 | Sicario 7.35 | The Walk 3.65 | Steve Jobs 521k

Perhaps but all of these films were pretty bad anyway. The Martian is actually whitewashed a bit as well. Mindy Park is supposed to be Asian and Vincent Kapoor was supposed to be Indian (so I guess he's blackwashed?). But there wasn't much of an uproar over it.

I wonder if the whitewashing uproar is tied into adding more bad press to an apparently bad movie.  Same as Adam Sandler apparently raping video games and people shitting on Trank's changes to F4.

• Like 1

I wonder if the whitewashing uproar is tied into adding more bad press to an apparently bad movie. Same as Adam Sandler apparently raping video games and people shitting on Trank's changes to F4.

Bad movies seem to attract this stuff much more than good movies, to be sure.

• Like 1

I wonder if the whitewashing uproar is tied into adding more bad press to an apparently bad movie.  Same as Adam Sandler apparently raping video games and people shitting on Trank's changes to F4.

Possibly. Then they could blame the failure on the social justice warrior crusade instead of the bad script, bad directing, bad acting, etc. Then no one comes away with the blame that was actually involved in the film. 

Exodus and Pan were subject to backlash from the moment their casting decisions were announced. The uproar over Aloha didn't begin until the reviews for the movie came in and revealed that Emma Stone was playing an Asian.

It's certainly not helping. At the same time that's the least of this movies' problems.

One of the problems with Tiger Lily's whitewashing was that the character no longer made sense. She's also the wrong age and her tribe is some made up weird culture. It's a totally different character and why do that? It would have been cheaper to get an unknown Native American actress anyway.

One of the problems with Tiger Lily's whitewashing was that the character no longer made sense. She's also the wrong age and her tribe is some made up weird culture. It's a totally different character and why do that? It would have been cheaper to get an unknown Native American actress anyway.

It's also cheaper to hire voice actors instead of big stars, but that's not going to stop Dreamworks.

There was some displeasure expressed when Johnny Depp was cast in The Lone Ranger a few years ago but in the end hardly anyone cared or complained. I guess everyone doesn't have as much of an issue when white actors play Native Americans as they do with other such WTF-Emma-Stone-As-Asian-style casting decisions.

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking. They changed it enough to no longer be offensive, but then then they cast some white girl outta nowhere. It's like something Michael Scott from The Office would do. He would do so much to not offend to the point where he ends up causing offence.

They probably would have gotten better press if they just stuck to what they had and hired a young Native American girl for the the part.

There was some displeasure expressed when Johnny Depp was cast in The Lone Ranger a few years ago but in the end hardly anyone cared or complained. I guess everyone doesn't have as much of an issue when white actors play Native Americans as they do with other such WTF-Emma-Stone-As-Asian-style casting decisions.

I don't think there was really a controversy around both of these movies. It never reached mainstream levels, rather just a couple of articles on Gawker. Those movies recieved more media coverage due to their overall quality and box office performance.They just sorta happened

• Like 1

If we get rid of Kitschjob or QOTD, I will go on a hunger strike.

We're not getting rid of qotd. Only someone who didn't live through the month and a half of DeHaanmania would even suggest such a thing

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 1

We're not getting rid of qotd. Only someone who didn't live through the months and a half of DeHaanmania would even suggest such a thing

The Amazing Troll Job of SuperHeroHype was and will always be amazing. 

And then there was that day we decided to like every post in the thread just because.